Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, we have owned two other hybrids: RAV4 and Prius. At stops and after some time in idle, the engine will shut off and just occasionally power up to charge the battery (that is presumably only running AC, stereo, etc). Does the 4xe do this as well?

I ask because on my 2 test drives, I don't recall if that happened. I also ask because I work in my car for long periods of time and it's nice to not have the engine churning the entire time.

I searched around and I can't find this specific question.

Got my build in to the dealer...tick tock.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi, we have owned two other hybrids: RAV4 and Prius. At stops and after some time in idle, the engine will shut off and just occasionally power up to charge the battery (that is presumably only running AC, stereo, etc). Does the 4xe do this as well?

I ask because on my 2 test drives, I don't recall if that happened. I also ask because I work in my car for long periods of time and it's nice to not have the engine churning the entire time.

This is my first hybrid so I don’t have any direct comparisons but yes the engine will generally turn off when the powertrain is not needed, at stoplights, parked and idling, etc… It can be a little hard judging exactly when it will do this because it is also periodically going into generation mode to keep the battery state of charge at 15-20% at all times. I believe there are a few cases where exceptionally high demand of the HVAC system will kick the ICE on as well. To your specific question though if you are just sitting in your car and are not putting huge demand on the HVAC the ICE will usually stay off and cycle periodically to charge.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is my first hybrid so I don’t have any direct comparisons but yes the engine will generally turn off when the powertrain is not needed, at stoplights, parked and idling, etc… It can be a little hard judging exactly when it will do this because it is also periodically going into generation mode to keep the battery state of charge at 15-20% at all times. I believe there are a few cases where exceptionally high demand of the HVAC system will kick the ICE on as well. To your specific question though if you are just sitting in your car and are not putting huge demand on the HVAC the ICE will usually stay off and cycle periodically to charge.
Perfect. That's how the hybrids that I've ridden in always act. I was just reflecting on my own two drives and couldn't remember if it happened, thank you.

·
Registered
286 Posts
This is actually how the non-4xe JL engines works as well. They call it Mild Hybrid Technology. They actually use it in more than just the Wranglers as well. It improves gas mileage overall.

A 48-volt battery pack works with the motor generator to create:
  • a seamless start/stop function;
  • a short-duration torque addition to the engine crankshaft in particular driving conditions; and,
  • brake energy regeneration to increase efficiency and responsiveness.

·
Registered
258 Posts

Yep. Pretty much like you describe.
The 4xe also allows the driver to select electric only mode which pretty much ensures the engine won't start......but it isn't absolute. The car still might start the engine anyway even in electric only mode but for the most part it will remain off.

In Hybrid mode, the engine might come on depending on demand and/or HVB charge level. It actually does a very good job thinking for itself. At first I thought it started the engine too easily and I found myself switching to electric only at the start of every drive but now I leave it in default hybrid mode because the car is much better than I am at deciding when it's best to use the EV or ICE components.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.