Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Wrangler 4XE Sahara
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, been driving our new 4XE for 2 days now. Trying to figure out the best time to use each mode. From my brief experience so far, I think it boils down to this (at least for people with the regular 110V charger):

• Electric mode - quick hop, not going anywhere else, have time for it to recharge
  • Hybrid - intermediate hop (say 50-60 miles), have time for it to recharge
  • E-Save - long distance with no opportunity to recharge (like next week when we are going to Orlando overnight and there is no charger at either the hotel or Universal)

Sound about right? This is my first hybrid, and I admittedly have not done much research into use cases for each mode.

·
Registered
64 Posts
So the 4xe is not quite a traditional hybrid, because the drivetrains can be both serial and parallel coupled with the fact that 15% of the battery capacity is held back. The vehicle will ALWAYS be operating in hybrid mode, even when you’re battery is reading >1% the powertrain will continue to blend in electric power when you need it and regenerate from braking/engine other times. There is no useful function for esave mode save for specific circumstances like driving some distance and then going off-road, in that case you would use e-save to hold your battery level so that you could go off-road all electric, in addition there are some areas (Europe) that do not allow ICE operation in certain zones in which case you would save your electric miles for those areas, otherwise esave is the most inefficient mode for the 4xe as if forces ICE use. The way I have used mine it to go electric mode if I know my round trip is less than 30 miles otherwise just leave it hybrid.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Your best bet from an efficiency standpoint is to never use eSave. The SAVE in eSave is to either hold the battery at the State Of Charge it’s currently at or to charge the battery for later use. It’s a special use mode and not good for using any time unless you want the battery later.

One of the laws of thermodynamics tells us that we don’t create energy, we just convert one type of energy for another. So if you run in eSave+charge, you are sacrificing one energy for another, gas for electrical charge in the battery. If you don’t have a specific need for running in electric mode at the end of the drive, you’ve burned excessive gas for no benefit.

Hybrid mode works best for long trips because it allows the battery to get down to around 15%. At that point, the li-ion battery charge curve is non-linear and it’s a lot easier to charge. That’s where the hybrid magic really happens.

·
Registered
590 Posts
You are right on the electric mode. If you know you aren't driving past your electric range it's a good mode to use.

While it primarily creates more of an electric bias, I have noticed the hybrid mode will often warm the engine up at some point when ice power is not needed. This is typically after about 5 to 10 minutes of driving when you are coming to a stop. In electric mode this does not happen.

I've also heard electric mode will deprioritize the climate control system in order to not run the engine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hybrid mode also starts the engine on the highway - I can't figure out the pattern, but typically when I get up to 70+ MPH, the engine starts and power comes from half engine, half battery. That's really great when you are doing a 30+ mile trip, you won't do it all electric but you will get some crazy MPG for a Wrangler.

Hybird seems to always run the engine in 4low too, not sure what is going on there. I made a thread about that earlier.

Electric does what you think - it won't start unless you floor it, until the battery is "dead". It won't last very long doing 70+ like that, but it might work for a short highway trip.

·
Registered
378 Posts
as a former rugby player i want the full torque so i stay all times with hybrid..no guessing .if's and riddles..just what i do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts