Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody put an electronic brake controller on their new Jeep that has the Max Towing Package? I tried reading some threads in other forums but don’t get a clear picture. I have the towing package, so do I have a plug under the dash to plug a controller into?? Also, I’m not taking the 12V plug out of the dash to install the Mopar unit. Hard to believe the towing package didn’t come with a controller.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had added the brake controller for a JLU Sahara without the tow package initially. You will then not have the plug. I believe if you have the tow package the plug should be there. My buddy added it to his JT with tow package and it was plug and play. I plan to add it to my 4xe when it comes in, the parts are sitting in the garage waiting. You do replace the 12v outlet and it looks very clean.

As for them including it, I have found most people end up using the 4-pin connector most often for small trailers behind a Wrangler and then they dont have trailer brakes so no need for the controller. I like the idea of having it for if I am towing a trailer especially off road to stop it from pushing me (although then the regen braking might work more)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had added the brake controller for a JLU Sahara without the tow package initially. You will then not have the plug. I believe if you have the tow package the plug should be there. My buddy added it to his JT with tow package and it was plug and play. I plan to add it to my 4xe when it comes in, the parts are sitting in the garage waiting. You do replace the 12v outlet and it looks very clean.

As for them including it, I have found most people end up using the 4-pin connector most often for small trailers behind a Wrangler and then they dont have trailer brakes so no need for the controller. I like the idea of having it for if I am towing a trailer especially off road to stop it from pushing me (although then the regen braking might work more)
so I tried to install the REDARC tow pro elite on the 2021 Rubicon 4Xe and the pug under the dash does not appear to be there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I added an aftermarket brake controller to my 4xe.
I have the factory tow package, so all the wiring was there.
I had to buy an adapter off Amazon to go from the controller to the harness and two if the wires had to be swapped, but that depends on which adapter harness you get.
There is a huge thread on this somewhere else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I added an aftermarket brake controller to my 4xe.
I have the factory tow package, so all the wiring was there.
I had to buy an adapter off Amazon to go from the controller to the harness and two if the wires had to be swapped, but that depends on which adapter harness you get.
There is a huge thread on this somewhere else.
Where did you find the connector?
What controller did you use?

I have a controller the REDARC tow pro elite
I have the adapter that I used on my 2020 rubicon
but when I went looking for the connector where it was on the 2020 wrangler I could not find it.

Can you provide a link to this thread you mentioned and or let me know where the connector is that I need to plug into?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I followed these 2 articles to find the connector and make sure the wires were correct.
The connector is way, and I mean way up there.
The connector is only there is you have the factory tow package.
If not, you will need to add it.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I followed these 2 articles to find the connector and make sure the wires were correct.

Thanks!
I use one of these and can move it between my vehicles.

CURT 51180 Echo Mobile Electric Trailer Brake Controller with Bluetooth-Enabled Smartphone Connection, Proportional, Black PLastic, 9 x 9 x 3 inches, BLACK PLASTIC https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07JQ99SDD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_F52R7CT93GTCTS0Y8C80
Ohhh, game changer! Does it work well?? I totally want this now if it works…

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks!

Ohhh, game changer! Does it work well?? I totally want this now if it works…
I would have bought the Curt Echo if I did not already have a brand new controller sitting in the closet.
From all the reviews I have read, it works great.
My only concern with it, is if you need to use the trailer brakes in an emergency situation, you need to have your phone open to the app, so you can touch the screen.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Both of these examples are for regular JL's one is a 2018 and the other is 2020. neither are 4Xe's you said you have one and you installed it. Post some pics were the Plug is. I pulled all the panels under the driver's area and there is no connector like there was in my 2020 rubicon JLU. included a few photos to show its not there.
Shoe Light Automotive design Grey Bumper
Automotive tire Tire Automotive lighting Tread Wheel
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

1 - 12 of 12 Posts