Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed that when I have max Regen on and let off the gas my efficiency coach stays mostly green. So I was thinking when possible just come off the accelerator to stop when it’s safe to in order to get the most recharge. But when I look at the digital %power and charge gauge, the charge meter goes down much farther when I apply the brake pedal, and at the same time the efficiency coach goes into the yellow. So I’m confused on which way gets me the most recharge - braking or just letting off accelerator? I did my experiment at the same speeds because I thought that could be the difference.

·
Registered
137 Posts
So I noticed that when I have max Regen on and let off the gas my efficiency coach stays mostly green. So I was thinking when possible just come off the accelerator to stop when it’s safe to in order to get the most recharge. But when I look at the digital %power and charge gauge, the charge meter goes down much farther when I apply the brake pedal, and at the same time the efficiency coach goes into the yellow. So I’m confused on which way gets me the most recharge - braking or just letting off accelerator? I did my experiment at the same speeds because I thought that could be the difference.
On flat land, when coming to a complete stop then it is possible to use the brake pedal and recapture the maximum amount of energy possible depending on driving style. If you are an early braker and depress the brake pedal for moderate regen over a greater period of time then you will likely recapture more energy compared to selecting Max Regen and lifting off the accelerator.

If you have a more aggressive style and like to race others to the red light or stop sign then you are likely to blend in the friction brakes (coach turns yellow at the bottom edge). For those drivers, selecting Max Regen and lifting off the accelerator will be a more efficient choice because Max Regen doesn't appear to blend in the friction brakes until the brake pedal is pressed.

So Max Regen is good for those that want a more convenient driving experience because it does the thinking for you and you don't have to move your foot back and forth as often. If you are an aggressive driver then Max Regen could be more efficient. If you are a cautious driver then you might recapture more energy than Max Regen is able to do on its own. The difference between casual driving and Max Regen (without adding the brake pedal until the very end) is very tiny. Barely measurable, but there is a difference.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On flat land, when coming to a complete stop then it is possible to use the brake pedal and recapture the maximum amount of energy possible depending on driving style. If you are an early braker and depress the brake pedal for moderate regen over a greater period of time then you will likely recapture more energy compared to selecting Max Regen and lifting off the accelerator.

If you have a more aggressive style and like to race others to the red light or stop sign then you are likely to blend in the friction brakes (coach turns yellow at the bottom edge). For those drivers, selecting Max Regen and lifting off the accelerator will be a more efficient choice because Max Regen doesn't appear to blend in the friction brakes until the brake pedal is pressed.

So Max Regen is good for those that want a more convenient driving experience because it does the thinking for you and you don't have to move your foot back and forth as often. If you are an aggressive driver then Max Regen could be more efficient. If you are a cautious driver then you might recapture more energy than Max Regen is able to do on its own. The difference between casual driving and Max Regen (without adding the brake pedal until the very end) is very tiny. Barely measurable, but there is a difference.

Hope this helps.
Thanks. It just seemed to me that the efficiency coach was misleading me.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks. It just seemed to me that the efficiency coach was misleading me.
Yeah. The manual doesn't really give us any useful information. When it starts to turn yellow then it's not as efficient. Both when accelerating or when braking. It actually is pretty neat compared to other PHEVs that I have driven. Ford has a Brake Coach but it only gives a percentage score. 100% means you recaptured the maximum energy possible but even that is misleading.

The Jeep Coach is better IMO because it shows acceleration and braking events and it gives some visual feedback vs waiting for a score. In the Ford system, you can brake a bit and then let off, then brake some more and let off or even accelerate a little and it loses all that info and only retrieves a score for the last braking event. The Jeep system is more useful I think. 👌

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah. The manual doesn't really give us any useful information. When it starts to turn yellow then it's not as efficient. Both when accelerating or when braking. It actually is pretty neat compared to other PHEVs that I have driven. Ford has a Brake Coach but it only gives a percentage score. 100% means you recaptured the maximum energy possible but even that is misleading.

The Jeep Coach is better IMO because it shows acceleration and braking events and it gives some visual feedback vs waiting for a score. In the Ford system, you can brake a bit and then let off, then brake some more and let off or even accelerate a little and it loses all that info and only retrieves a score for the last braking event. The Jeep system is more useful I think. 👌
Totally agree. I love driving this Jeep.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Interesting. I think max regen is tricky because it is so aggressive that sometimes it slows you down too much requiring more energy to get back up to speed.
Thanks 🙏 man I was trying to explain the the same max gen is not best for highway driving just to rephrase it is horrible fuel economy in highway. duitng City driving you gain the benefit.
We drove 4 hours max gen 90% on high way just charged around 3-4 % battery. And mpg dropped 16 MPG. Yes you burn more fuel to accelerate because it slows you more than required
Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts