Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had my 4xe for 6 days now. Love it so far, btw. This is Jeep #3 for me. Traded my '16 Willys for this one.
I understand how PHEVs work compared to pure EVs, although this is my first. I'm just wondering if anyone has any insight to the message "Electric Mode Unavailable. Cabin cooling or heating" ?
What temps does it try to reach before Electric Mode can be available? And is this related to the HV battery? Or is it purely the cabin heating/cooling involved here? Would pre-conditioning the battery help this at all?
I drove for about 10 kms ( ~6 miles) this morning and the temp outside was 0 (~32F) and it still wouldn't go into Electric Mode. It was plenty warm inside the cabin. I turned the HVAC off completely but no difference. It's making me wonder if Electric Mode will ever be available to me from about mid-October to end of April.
Located in Alberta, Canada. Winter should be interesting.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Did you check the supplemental 4xe manual? I recall seeing in the manual the temperature ranges, but I believe they were more extreme than 32F. I skipped over most of it as we are lucky if we get to see temps drop into the 60s here.

·
Registered
JLURe 2021 sting gray
29 Posts
Hi, I do have a 4xe ordered ( should arrive this week) and this post is a little concerning for me? I am also from canada and temps are similar. from the 4xe owner supplement;

''If the battery temperature is below -22°F (-30°C), or 131°F (55°C) or above, the vehicle will NOT start:''

I would be suprised if battery inner cabin will reach that temp often but i am intrigued if AC or Heat work directly from battery or need the engine to run? Sorry not an expert but your questions bring some concern to me if any one would know if heat/ ac will operate from battery directly or not?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Even Full EVs will have a degraded range in colder temps. This 400v battery seems particularly dependant on the ambient temperature. A few questions; Are you on a full charge? Are you in Hybrid, Electric, or e-save mode?

If the Cabin is heating- I would just leave the heat on Auto until it reaches about 70 F (21 C); on auto, the fans should kick off once the temp is reached.

As far as how the appliences are run: There are a few components attached to the 2.0L engine:
  • Electric motor generator (similar to the eTorque motor) runs off the front accessory drive belt. This starts the gasoline engine and charges the battery.
  • Air conditioning compressor - while in Battery or electric mode it will run the AC system. This will probably be used more when it's colder.

The 400v battery will always keep about a 15% buffer charge to help with acceleration but also has these components:
  • A heater /cooling system placed with the 400v battery to attempt to keep the battery at the right temperature for operation.
  • Cabin heating system that is run off of the battery to keep the cabin warm during electric operation.

It may seem inefficient to run it this way but the closer the cabin temperature is to the human comfort level (that 70F / 21C), the battery will operate a lot more efficiently. In a way, the battery being stored in the cabin itself will mean that the battery performance could be much better than other EVs in extreme temps who store their battery underneath the vehicle. If anything- this vehicle also having an ICE is a good backup power source for the cold weather (at least over a typical full ev).

If you are in Canada and would have these cold temps consistently- you can probably actually beat typical ICE vehicle performance if you have a few precautions such as plugging in when not in use to keep the battery topped off, and keeping the vehicle in a covered garage to shield it from the elements overnight or, if possible, while at work. Leaving it uncovered at work for 8 hours will pretty harshly effect the range (I'd guess by about 30% or more) but it should still operate as long as you aren't in the temps the manual points out.

Honestly, the only reason I wouldn't consider this vehicle for a cold winter situation is if there is no way I'd be able to have the vehicle covered at night in cold temps or wouldn't have access to plug-in every night. I'm living in an apartment right now with no garage unit, so I've been struggling to plug-in, but I plan on getting a garage unit that comes with a plug (and "free" electricity) in the fall! In the meantime- I get free charges from my local grocery across the street.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Bummer. This is one of the reasons my Tesla has a default mode to keep the cabin to 100F or less as long as there is 20% battery. I don't think it does anything for the cold (unless charging).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have had my 4xe for 6 days now. Love it so far, btw. This is Jeep #3 for me. Traded my '16 Willys for this one.
I understand how PHEVs work compared to pure EVs, although this is my first. I'm just wondering if anyone has any insight to the message "Electric Mode Unavailable. Cabin cooling or heating" ?
What temps does it try to reach before Electric Mode can be available? And is this related to the HV battery? Or is it purely the cabin heating/cooling involved here? Would pre-conditioning the battery help this at all?
I drove for about 10 kms ( ~6 miles) this morning and the temp outside was 0 (~32F) and it still wouldn't go into Electric Mode. It was plenty warm inside the cabin. I turned the HVAC off completely but no difference. It's making me wonder if Electric Mode will ever be available to me from about mid-October to end of April.
I live in San Fran and am having the same issue. definitely no temperature issues as it's been in the 50's to 60's F every day. Jeep won't switch into electric mode - says it's unavailable and/or i get a "cabin cooling or heating"... no idea what the deal is. Took it to a dealer and they just updated software but didn't do anything else. So, the Jeep won't go into electric mode. wondering if the battery is unable to cool itself and it throws the jeep into gas mode.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine is doing this below 10C 50F it needs to run 10 min or so before being able to go electric. At lower temps it's longer. By about 2C 37F it won't go into electric anymore. It seems some do this and some continue to work into colder temps. Working with the dealer - pretty sure there is an issue with temp sensor or battery conditioning (heating). Some have had a code for issues with circulator pump for battery coolant lines - mine doesn't have a CEL.
Sorry yours is doing this but I think the more that do - and complain - the more likely Jeep will have to find the issue and provide a fix.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I live in San Fran and am having the same issue. definitely no temperature issues as it's been in the 50's to 60's F every day. Jeep won't switch into electric mode - says it's unavailable and/or i get a "cabin cooling or heating"... no idea what the deal is. Took it to a dealer and they just updated software but didn't do anything else. So, the Jeep won't go into electric mode. wondering if the battery is unable to cool itself and it throws the jeep into gas mode.
I picked up my Rubi 4xe 3 days ago. Drove it a total of 50 miles (couple times b/f to work and wife took it shopping - you know, regular stuff).

Today, outdoor temp about 45F, i left the house in hybrid mode and it was running electric… then the ICE came on, so I went to put it in Electric mode and got the same: “Electric Mode Unavailable. Cabin cooling or heating”. I then turned off the climate system and it went back to the electric drive. We proceeded to the birthday party 5 miles away.

On the way back, the check CEL came on and it went to back to the ICE with the same error message. I did what I did previously and turned off the climate control and it went to electric drive.

Got home and and let it sit. Engine light remained.

Popped the hood and immediately went to the fuse box (had read all this stuff before purchasing and figured the issues were like any other car, given that the majority of owners are having positive experiences).

Fuses appears to be seated, except one questionable one. But CEL remained.

We plugged it in. It wouldn’t charge. said “Hood open, unable to charge”

Got flashing light sequence at the plug door on the Jeep: red, green, blue, off - repeat.

I read on another thread to try leaving it plugged in and starting the car. This worked and it started charging.

Now I’m on a plane b/c I have to travel. I will contact the dealer and my sales rep (he was great when purchasing). But now it looks like I have this to look forward to when I return.

(Not sure if it’s relevant but the Jeeps battery was fully depleted when I told delivery.)

(Also, I had installed a booster seat for my son before we headed out to the birthday party. I can’t imagine it’s related but he is sitting over the batteries. Can’t be related)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I picked up my Rubi 4xe 3 days ago. Drove it a total of 50 miles (couple times b/f to work and wife took it shopping - you know, regular stuff).

Today, outdoor temp about 45F, i left the house in hybrid mode and it was running electric… then the ICE came on, so I went to put it in Electric mode and got the same: “Electric Mode Unavailable. Cabin cooling or heating”. I then turned off the climate system and it went back to the electric drive. We proceeded to the birthday party 5 miles away.

On the way back, the check CEL came on and it went to back to the ICE with the same error message. I did what I did previously and turned off the climate control and it went to electric drive.

Got home and and let it sit. Engine light remained.

Popped the hood and immediately went to the fuse box (had read all this stuff before purchasing and figured the issues were like any other car, given that the majority of owners are having positive experiences).

Fuses appears to be seated, except one questionable one. But CEL remained.

We plugged it in. It wouldn’t charge. said “Hood open, unable to charge”

Got flashing light sequence at the plug door on the Jeep: red, green, blue, off - repeat.

I read on another thread to try leaving it plugged in and starting the car. This worked and it started charging.

Now I’m on a plane b/c I have to travel. I will contact the dealer and my sales rep (he was great when purchasing). But now it looks like I have this to look forward to when I return.

(Not sure if it’s relevant but the Jeeps battery was fully depleted when I told delivery.)

(Also, I had installed a booster seat for my son before we headed out to the birthday party. I can’t imagine it’s related but he is sitting over the batteries. Can’t be related)
I read someone else on a cross country road trip had hood open issue and just put a piece of styrofoam or something over the two switches under the hood (right side) - that enabled them to press fully down.
I am fighting the electric unavailable for cabin heating cooling things so no answer for that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I read someone else on a cross country road trip had hood open issue and just put a piece of styrofoam or something over the two switches under the hood (right side) - that enabled them to press fully down.
I am fighting the electric unavailable for cabin heating cooling things so no answer for that.
And you have no CEL on? Just that issue?

·
Registered
10 Posts
And you have no CEL on? Just that issue?
Correct - no check engine light. Just the cabin heating cooling message and no all electric driving.
if You have a CEL you can get a scanner real cheap to see what the code is. They just plug in and read it. Mine was a real cheap one $30 - there’s better ones out there. I think you might have a couple different things going on.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Correct - no check engine light. Just the cabin heating cooling message and no all electric driving.
if You have a CEL you can get a scanner real cheap to see what the code is. They just plug in and read it. Mine was a real cheap one $30 - there’s better ones out there. I think you might have a couple different things going on.
Oh cool. I’ll do that. It’s sooo disappointing to have had this amazing vehicle only 3 days and start having issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Oh cool. I’ll do that. It’s sooo disappointing to have had this amazing vehicle only 3 days and start having issues.
I hear ya! I’ve had mine since May. It’s been great except now that it’s colder it won’t run in electric mode. Take a look at those hood switches - mine have been fine but I’ve seen other posts where they just don’t push down quite far enough. If you are on Facebook there’s a good group called JEEP 4XE Fans.
Good luck with it!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I hear ya! I’ve had mine since May. It’s been great except now that it’s colder it won’t run in electric mode. Take a look at those hood switches - mine have been fine but I’ve seen other posts where they just don’t push down quite far enough. If you are on Facebook there’s a good group called JEEP 4XE Fans.
Good luck with it!
Thanks, I’ll check it out!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Good luck with it!
I got the icar pro+JScan app and didn’t show any error codes. So I went to the dealer and they pulled the error code: P0C74-00 motor Electronics Coolant pump B. They reset the CEL and we’ll see if it comes back.

This lines up with others on the forums. Some people report getting the pump replaced and the light comes back on. Others are just waiting for the part.

I guess I’ll schedule an appointment but it really seems like if this is such a common issue, Jeep should be proactively dealing with it. There are months and months of people reporting this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree its pretty obvious that there’s an issue with a bunch of vehicles why isn’t Jeep jetting us know what the fix is or at least that they’re working on it.
thanks for posting your progress - hope you get it fixed

·
Registered
3 Posts

I have the same problem at 0 c , just 1000Km, I red all your msg s and I think I will put in a recall - Unacceptable - if they sale those in northern cold weather - they need to be reliable

·
Registered
349 Posts
@berryb
Make sure you do an Advanced Scan instead of the Quick Diagnostics. It will go through each of the modules and provide more detail.
Also, some functions are pretty limited without using the bypass cable.
Product Font Screenshot Circle Parallel

·
Registered
35 Posts
@berryb
Make sure you do an Advanced Scan instead of the Quick Diagnostics. It will go through each of the modules and provide more detail.
Also, some functions are pretty limited without using the bypass cable.
View attachment 3445
Ok thanks! I do have the bypass cable but thought it was for writing only.

Also, an update: I took it in and service spent two days with it, putting 50 miles on it trying to recreate it. Nada. So I’ve had it back for 300 miles and no issues. Just fuel pile refresh, electric not available - which I’m considering normal operation at this point. I haven’t even put a tank of gas in it yet so I’m going to not jumpy to conclusions.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.