Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving home today in electric mode through side streets followed by a bit of stop and go on the freeway in electric mode. Temperature was 80 degrees Fahrenheit and my Jeep switched from electric mode to hybrid mode and a message popped up on my dash saying electric mode currently unavailable and switched to hybrid. Is this working as normal or something I should be concerned about? It appeared to be temperature related the electric motor was still operating in hybrid but I was unable to switch back to electric only mode

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got this same message driving the other day, it was pretty warm out and I was driving with Max Regen on in electric mode and suddenly the gas engine fired up and it said electric unavailable. I didn’t notice any temp warnings or anything out of the ordinary. After a few minutes of driving the next time I let off the gas to coast it shut down and went back to electric mode. It was about 15 degrees hotter today and it didn’t do it. Strange.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did notice the power on electric mode was starting not as responsive as normal before the “electric mode currently unavailable” message popped up. Then the gas engine turned on and flipped to hybrid mode… any thoughts from the group? It was a bit hotter outside than previous days

·
Registered
246 Posts
I was driving home today in electric mode through side streets followed by a bit of stop and go on the freeway in electric mode. Temperature was 80 degrees Fahrenheit and my Jeep switched from electric mode to hybrid mode and a message popped up on my dash saying electric mode currently unavailable and switched to hybrid. Is this working as normal or something I should be concerned about? It appeared to be temperature related the electric motor was still operating in hybrid but I was unable to switch back to electric only mode
I got this same message driving the other day, it was pretty warm out and I was driving with Max Regen on in electric mode and suddenly the gas engine fired up and it said electric unavailable. I didn’t notice any temp warnings or anything out of the ordinary. After a few minutes of driving the next time I let off the gas to coast it shut down and went back to electric mode. It was about 15 degrees hotter today and it didn’t do it. Strange.
I did notice the power on electric mode was starting not as responsive as normal before the “electric mode currently unavailable” message popped up. Then the gas engine turned on and flipped to hybrid mode… any thoughts from the group? It was a bit hotter outside than previous days
Hey, all. Although I cannot speculate on the normalcy of what you all have described, if you choose to visit the dealer for information, we are happy to help. Send us a private message with more details to get started.

Kate
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
402 Posts
my thought : shift from electric to hybrid mode to cycle through fuel refresh. the bmw i3 rex does it too from time to time....so i think it is normal.

·
Registered
402 Posts
from the text book wrangler 4xe:

GETTING TO KNOW YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL 37
FUEL AND OIL REFRESH MODE
Since it is possible to operate this vehicle for extended periods of time without running the gas engine, the fuel within the vehicle’s fuel tank can become stale or the engine oil’s lubricating properties can be reduced. To prevent engine and/or fuel system damage due to stale fuel, as well as maintaining internal engine lubrication, this vehicle is equipped with a Fuel and Oil Refresh Mode.The vehicle will automatically enter into the Fuel and Oil Refresh Mode to minimize potential for stale fuel, and to ensure lubrication of internal engine components. When operating in this mode, the gas engine will run to provide vehicle propulsion (electric only operation is inhibited). A message will be displayed in the instrument cluster whenever Fuel and Oil Refresh Mode is active.The vehicle will automatically exit the Fuel and Oil Refresh Mode when conditions have been satisfied. If the vehicle enters Fuel and Oil Refresh Mode, due to fuel which has been in the fuel tank for a long period of time (becoming stale fuel), the engine will run whenever the vehicle is operational (no electric only operation) until the low fuel level warning is activated. It is also possible to exit the Fuel and Oil Refresh Mode sooner by adding a minimum of four gallons of new fuel to the vehicle’s fuel tank.

NOTE:If the vehicle enters Fuel and Oil Refresh Mode to maintain engine lubrication, adding fuel will not exit the mode sooner.If the vehicle enters Fuel and Oil Refresh Mode to maintain engine lubrication properties, the engine may run for a period of up to 20 minutes when fully warm whenever the vehicle is operational (no electric only operation). If the vehicle is shut down before conditions to exit the refresh mode have been satisfied, the engine may run for additional time on subsequent trips.

NOTE:Frequent short trips at low ambient temperature conditions are more likely to trigger the lubrication based mode.

https://msmownerassets.z13.web.core...ler_4xe/P125757_21_JL_H_SU_EN_USC_DIGITAL.pdf

·
Registered
13 Posts
Am I to understand its only the full ellectric mode thats disabled in refresh mode? We still get the full combined hp and torque from the whole system in hybrid mode while its “refreshing” right?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Absolut Right !
.... it's only the full electric mode that is disabled in refresh mode. We still get the full combined hp and torque from the whole system in hybrid mode while its “refreshing”!

just make sure you have some gasline in your tank 😉

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’m starting to think my issue is not fuel refresh mode. To clarify does the dash actually say fuel refresh mode when triggered?
My issue is specifically when driving at highway speeds up a slight grade/hill in full electric. I begin to lose throttle and speed but the ICE doesn’t turn on. Even if I pedal down the car just loses speed then I get a signal “electric mode unavailable” it flips to hybrid and the ICE kicks on

appears to be a limitation in the “electric only mode”

1 - 9 of 9 Posts