Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
81 - 100 of 143 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Charged to 100% and took it for a spin today. At 96% and being out on the road for about one mile I received the message and it went into hybrid mode. It's 8 degrees out. Dealership service not open on weekends, probably closed until Tuesday.

· Registered
3 Posts
Charged to 100% and took it for a spin today. At 96% and being out on the road for about one mile I received the message and it went into hybrid mode. It's 8 degrees out. Dealership service not open on weekends, probably closed until Tuesday.
Very frustrating! I had to book like a week out at Kahlo. I hope my fix is the fix. 🤞

· Registered
3 Posts
Jeep Summit Reaerve is 1 week old. It gave me this electric unavailable countless times today. Charging overnight. Went 12 miles - maybe too cold at 14°. Still nothing. Let me go into Electric mode for 10 minutes. Level 1 and level 2 charging all day between running errands around town. This should have been an all electric day. Which is why I purchased this.
I just got the "Electric Mode Unavailable" trying to go to dinner. Temps are cold, it was around 5 degrees and -15 with the wind chill. Had 95% battery, pulled out of garage and within 2 minutes it switched to hybrid and gave me that message. After dinner it gave me the same message when starting the Jeep. I guess I need to take it to dealership and mention the heater thing and have them verify.

· Registered
23 Posts
Jeep Summit Reaerve is 1 week old. It gave me this electric unavailable countless times today. Charging overnight. Went 12 miles - maybe too cold at 14°. Still nothing. Let me go into Electric mode for 10 minutes. Level 1 and level 2 charging all day between running errands around town. This should have been an all electric day. Which is why I purchased this.
Yeah, I agree. Not happy, but I assume there is a fix or there would be a class action lawsuit as it was never disclosed electric mode doesn't work below certain temps.

· Registered
23 Posts
Well, no appointments until later this week. Service manager told me that it is normal in really cold Temps for that to happen and even Teslas need to warm up. Today the Jeep entered FORM and wouldn't go into Electric mode. I got this vehicle to drive in electric mode around town. It's inability to do that when it gets cold out is super frustrating.

· Registered
1,007 Posts
Yeah, I agree. Not happy, but I assume there is a fix or there would be a class action lawsuit as it was never disclosed electric mode doesn't work below certain temps.
There is no fixes and it's already been disclosed by Jeep how the vehicle operates in cold weather, and I"ve tested it out.

There is no need for a lawsuit (why is everyone so sue happy?)

Its a PHEV not a BEV it will operate with the gas engine below a certain temperature because the coolant heater can't keep up with the demand of warming the battery and providing cabin heat.

Even though you are in FORM the vehicle is still using the battery, just not to the same degree

· Registered
23 Posts
There is no fixes and it's already been disclosed by Jeep how the vehicle operates in cold weather, and I"ve tested it out.

There is no need for a lawsuit (why is everyone so sue happy?)

Its a PHEV not a BEV it will operate with the gas engine below a certain temperature because the coolant heater can't keep up with the demand of warming the battery and providing cabin heat.

Even though you are in FORM the vehicle is still using the battery, just not to the same degree
It was never disclosed to me that is how this vehicle works in cold weather. I mention a lawsuit, because it's a $70k vehicle that doesn't always work as advertised.

· Registered
1,007 Posts
So if someone said don't put your hand in boiling water because you might get burned.......that wasn't disclosed to you, its time for a lawsuit. At this point just get rid of the damn vehicle then. There are so many resources on how this vehicle operates. This was even posted online by a Stellantis Employee

Cold Weather Operation of the Wrangler 4xe
Remote start and regular button start will both work, with an EVSE plugged in. That’s a great way to warm the battery and the cabin using energy from the wall. The Jeep will not shift out of Park until you remove the charge handle, to prevent accidentally driving off while plugged in. The plug icon in the cluster gives you a heads up.
You might see Fuel/Oil Refresh more frequently in cold weather. That’s because short engine runtimes in cold temperatures are most conducive to fuel dilution into the engine oil. If this happens, the solution is to get the engine warm and keep it running for up to an hour and a half to evaporate the fuel out of the oil… or change the engine oil.
Here’s what to expect as mornings get colder. All of this logic is true, whether an EVSE is plugged in or not:
Above ~32°F, and with sufficient battery and fuel, the vehicle will usually power up silently (ICE not running). The exception is if you have a very high HVAC demand.
Below 32°F but above 10°F, the ICE engine will also run at startup. You can select Electric mode to shut it off, relying instead on the electric heaters. There will be a range penalty. If you use remote start in a cold garage, take note exhaust will be emitted.
Below 10°F, the engine will always run until various systems are up to operating temperature. Electric mode will be unavailable during warmup. At these temperatures, the electric heater really isn’t an efficient way to heat the cabin, and your EV range would be greatly reduced by that anyway. The same is true of BEV’s, but they don’t have an ICE to help.
If it’s below ~5°F outside when you shut down, the instrument cluster will advise you to plug in an EVSE to maintain battery temperature. This is only strictly necessary in case the battery temp falls below -20°F overnight. Level 1 or Level 2 are suitable.
All the way down to -20°F, the Jeep can start unassisted (without an EVSE connected). This is the same capability as other Wranglers and most ICE vehicles.
If outside temperature is likely to fall below -20°F, you definitely want to connect an EVSE overnight. The Jeep will wake up periodically and warm and circulate coolant to facilitate a restart. It’s not necessary to also connect a block heater.
With an EVSE connected, the Jeep can start as low as -40°F. This is the same performance a other Wranglers and the best production ICE vehicles - they require block heaters in these temperatures.
Any more questions because that's about as clear as it can be.

If you want the finer details of cold weather operation look for the posts i've made on the 4xe in the cold. If you still don't understand how it works at that point, then there is no hope for you

· Registered
23 Posts
So if someone said don't put your hand in boiling water because you might get burned.......that wasn't disclosed to you, its time for a lawsuit. At this point just get rid of the damn vehicle then. There are so many resources on how this vehicle operates. This was even posted online by a Stellantis Employee

Any more questions because that's about as clear as it can be.

If you want the finer details of cold weather operation look for the posts i've made on the 4xe in the cold. If you still don't understand how it works at that point, then there is no hope for you
Not going to address the first comment as it's not remotely relatable to this situation.

That's great an employee posted that online. It doesn't say this in my owners manual and the dealer never mentioned any of this to me when ordering or taking delivery.

I've read enough to understand what is happening, so I guess there is hope for me. It doesn't mean I can't be frustrated and disappointed with the situation. I purchased a vehicle that I was told I could drive in electric mode only, no limitations where ever disclosed. It doesn't list any in the manual, as I literally just read through it.

Glad the vehicle works the way you want it/expected it to.

· Registered
1,007 Posts
I purchased a vehicle that I was told I could drive in electric mode only, no limitations where ever disclosed. It doesn't list any in the manual, as I literally just read through it.
So your vehicle didn't come with this?

It also states when it might not operated in electric. You would be foolish to think you could purchase a PHEV and except it to drive in electric mode 100% of the time because you think it should

· Registered
2023 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
68 Posts
Just wanted to add to this thread. My wife and I have both seen electric mode unavailable this past week on our 2023 Rubi 4xe. Both times we had been driving for a little while in hybrid mode (meaning 5-10 minutes) and then tried to switch to electric mode. Regular town driving, nothing crazy. Temperature in the upper 50s. No rain or anything. No other errors or anything. Stopping Jeep and turning off and back on and electric mode was available again and stayed in electric mode the rest of the trip home. Something I will be watching now I guess.

· Registered
3,742 Posts
Just wanted to add to this thread. My wife and I have both seen electric mode unavailable this past week on our 2023 Rubi 4xe. Both times we had been driving for a little while in hybrid mode (meaning 5-10 minutes) and then tried to switch to electric mode. Regular town driving, nothing crazy. Temperature in the upper 50s. No rain or anything. No other errors or anything. Stopping Jeep and turning off and back on and electric mode was available again and stayed in electric mode the rest of the trip home. Something I will be watching now I guess.
You need to verify your electric coolant heater status

· Registered
2023 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
68 Posts
I guess I read the star bulletin wrong. It says it should say "Electric mode unavailable cabin heating or cooling." Is the "electric mode temporarily unavailable" error message the same thing?

· Registered
3,742 Posts
I guess I read the star bulletin wrong. It says it should say "Electric mode unavailable cabin heating or cooling." Is the "electric mode temporarily unavailable" error message the same thing?
It does usually say cabin heating or cooling, but there.have been lots of reports of people having it lock out and cause general emu problems.

81 - 100 of 143 Posts