Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
101 - 120 of 143 Posts

· Registered
2023 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
68 Posts
There was someone else that recently mentioned using that and not being able to pull the ech lockout status up.

Maybe it'll let you run jscan through it.
I checked and it was not supported. I cancelled it and verified the OBDLink MX+ OBD2 reader and it says it is supported by JSCAN. I guess I assumed the BlueDriver, since it said it had enhanced coverage for Jeep, that it would cover the stuff you referenced. Thanks for the reminder to check.

· Registered
3 Posts
The heater being locked out is almost always the cause of this and requires heater replacement. There is a star case that gives the dealer the specific instructions on how to diagnose it. Takes all of about 5 minutes to verify in software. You can also verify it yourself with an obd code reader that'll show you pid values.
Been having this problem for about three months now. After three visits to the dealer, they finally acknowledged last week that the electric coolant heater needs to be replaced. But I was also told that they won't have the part available to make the repair for at least a month, maybe more. Anyone else with this problem being told this? Have a feeling I am going to be chasing them down to make this fix for awhile.

· Registered
68 Posts
Been having this problem for about three months now. After three visits to the dealer, they finally acknowledged last week that the electric coolant heater needs to be replaced. But I was also told that they won't have the part available to make the repair for at least a month, maybe more. Anyone else with this problem being told this? Have a feeling I am going to be chasing them down to make this fix for awhile.
Were you have the same message in this post ("Electric mode temporarily unavailable") or the "Electric Mode Unavailable Cabin Heating or Cooling" message from the other thread. I am not sure they are the same thing.

· Registered
3 Posts
Were you have the same message in this post ("Electric mode temporarily unavailable") or the "Electric Mode Unavailable Cabin Heating or Cooling" message from the other thread. I am not sure they are the same thing.
For the first few months, I was exclusively getting Electric Mode Unavailable: Cabin Heating or Cooling. More recently, I've been getting Fuel and Oil Refresh Mode: Electric Mode Temporarily Unavailable. Sometimes (like tonight), got one then the other during the same drive. I just picked up the car last week from the dealer. While it was in they did the software update associated with the recall. Now my check engine light is permanently on. According to my service manager, this is because the software update has made it so that the vehicle's diagnostics system now recognizes that there is a problem. At this point, the vehicle is running almost exclusively on gas. I can go over a week without needing to charge the battery.

· Registered
1,007 Posts
For the first few months, I was exclusively getting Electric Mode Unavailable: Cabin Heating or Cooling. More recently, I've been getting Fuel and Oil Refresh Mode: Electric Mode Temporarily Unavailable. Sometimes (like tonight), got one then the other during the same drive. I just picked up the car last week from the dealer. While it was in they did the software update associated with the recall. Now my check engine light is permanently on. According to my service manager, this is because the software update has made it so that the vehicle's diagnostics system now recognizes that there is a problem. At this point, the vehicle is running almost exclusively on gas. I can go over a week without needing to charge the battery.
Your electric coolant heater is likely defective, take it back to the dealership and get them to replace it

· Registered
68 Posts
Ok, I think both of these are different than this post. There is another thread on the cabin cooling message active right now. For FORM issue may be normal operation and not indicative of an issue.

· Registered
3,742 Posts
Your electric coolant heater is locked out. You're probably also in FORM. The recall software update now triggers a check engine light for a locked out coolant heater.

The fact that your service advisor didn't say "your electric coolant heater is locked out, we have ordered you a new one" after doing the recall and seeing the light says you need a new dealer to go with your new coolant heater.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hey, all. Although I cannot speculate on the normalcy of what you all have described, if you choose to visit the dealer for information, we are happy to help. Send us a private message with more details to get started.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Hi Kate
I have had this problem 3 separate times since I bought this Jeep in July 2020. I brought it to the dealer in MA and they fixed it, but then it reoccured months later. I brought it to the dealer in Syracuse, and they seemed to fix it, but then it reoccured months later. It is at the dealer now to address the problem again. We bought this car so that we could run on electric most of the time, as we don't drive much more than 30 miles before returning home. Any ideas on how we can fix this permanently?

· Registered
3,742 Posts
Hi Kate
I have had this problem 3 separate times since I bought this Jeep in July 2020. I brought it to the dealer in MA and they fixed it, but then it reoccured months later. I brought it to the dealer in Syracuse, and they seemed to fix it, but then it reoccured months later. It is at the dealer now to address the problem again. We bought this car so that we could run on electric most of the time, as we don't drive much more than 30 miles before returning home. Any ideas on how we can fix this permanently?
What did they do to "fix" it? Have you verified your ech lock out status?

· Registered
23 Posts
So your vehicle didn't come with this? It also states when it might not operated in electric. You would be foolish to think you could purchase a PHEV and except it to drive in electric mode 100% of the time because you think it should
No, it did not. Plus that says nothing about it being "too cold". I understand FORM and the reasoning electric mode would not be available because of that, but it being too cold outside is not anywhere in any literature I have, nor was it ever disclosed by the dealer.

· Registered
1,007 Posts
Ignorance is no excuse, all the information is out there, there is no help for you, no amount of information is good enough for you, just go buy a EV and find something wrong with it to complain about

· Registered
1 Posts
Purchased my 4xe last weekend and tried driving to work in electric mode yesterday. Was on the highway going 75 and six miles into the drive I lost all power. Gas pedal did nothing, no warnings on the dash I just couldn't accelerate. I switched into hybrid mode and it went back to normal but I got a message that electric mode was unavailable.
There is now an active recall for that specific issue. You should get the notice in the mail soon if you haven't already.

101 - 120 of 143 Posts