Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My4XE gets a "electric mode temporarily unavailable" while travelling up a 15% hill at around 40 miles per hour. However lately (not sure if its related to the cooler weather) this message is now appearing regularly on every trip even on flat roads sometimes also combined with a "cabin heating or cooling" message. At outside temperatures of about 45 degrees the car will run in electric mode for 5 minutes but then switches to Hybrid. After running in hybrid for 5 minutes Electric then becomes available again. Not sure if this is a safety feature to keep the the gas engine warm, in order to avoid excessive wear and tear if the engine kicks in at high revs during driving?

Also at start up in the mornings the gas engine now turns on immediately and it sounds like the choke is activated for 1 or 2 minutes with the engine revs much higher than normal idle speed. During summer on start up the gas engine never turned on and it was always just the electric motor. Usually its then combined with a "cabin heating or cooling" message.

Had it at the Dealer but their response was that its completely normal. Feedback on similar experiences will be much appreciated!

·
Registered
2021 Sahara Unlimited 4xe
94 Posts
I haven’t yet experienced temps in the 40’s but had a few in the low 50’s last week early in the morning and the engine did turn on and was reviving high for about a min or two but no warning lights at all,

I watched the temp rise up then the ice engine shut off and was running on electric. I’m at 650 miles with 4 weeks of ownership so still to early to tell long term but so farthe jeep has performed perfectly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been having the same issue anything under 10C (50F) and it starts the ICE and needs to run it for approx 10 minutes... longer the cooler it get. At 0C (32F) it will no longer switch to electric
My4XE gets a "electric mode temporarily unavailable" while travelling up a 15% hill at around 40 miles per hour. However lately (not sure if its related to the cooler weather) this message is now appearing regularly on every trip even on flat roads sometimes also combined with a "cabin heating or cooling" message. At outside temperatures of about 45 degrees the car will run in electric mode for 5 minutes but then switches to Hybrid. After running in hybrid for 5 minutes Electric then becomes available again. Not sure if this is a safety feature to keep the the gas engine warm, in order to avoid excessive wear and tear if the engine kicks in at high revs during driving?

Also at start up in the mornings the gas engine now turns on immediately and it sounds like the choke is activated for 1 or 2 minutes with the engine revs much higher than normal idle speed. During summer on start up the gas engine never turned on and it was always just the electric motor. Usually its then combined with a "cabin heating or cooling" message.

Had it at the Dealer but their response was that its completely normal. Feedback on similar experiences will be much appreciated!

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Dealer had mine for two weeks and finally asked me to take it back because they could not fix it. They advised to work directly with Jeep customer care. While it sounds like people see it start at low temps, once it happens you pretty much have a 4 cylinder gas Jeep that gets 22MPG and randomly will pop into electric mode for 2-4 miles. Occurs at 32 – 72 degrees. Here’s the number to open your case (have your VIN ready) : 844-533-7928

·
Registered
20 Posts
How do you check this? This is very likely an issue but not throwing any codes
My check engine light was on. And I noticed similar symptoms as you wrote. I have the dealer checked it, and told them the symptoms, they run the code from the engine and told me The battery heater is malfunctioning. Got it back over the weekend and everything worked fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My check engine light was on. And I noticed similar symptoms as you wrote. I have the dealer checked it, and told them the symptoms, they run the code from the engine and told me The battery heater is malfunctioning. Got it back over the weekend and everything worked fine.
Thanks - I don't have a CEL but could be a similar issue. Glad they could fix yours - I was concerned maybe the battery was bought by Jeep as an "assembly" and they wouldn't be able to diagnose the temp sensor or battery heater separately.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you done the mopar anti-rust treatment with the black paint underneath? I have a doubt that our problem is possibly due to this treatment. This could have damaged the module that heats the battery.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Tony, I think I’m having the same issue but when I called about a battery heater, they didn’t know what part exactly. Do you happen to have that?

·
Registered
19 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts