Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
1,213 Posts
I would assume you’re in FORM. Fuel and Oil Refresh Mode as @Sjbiss said.
Quite a few threads on this lately so search those out and you’ll find answers. Not a glitch.
Read the manual about this feature as well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
So I’m getting this on my dash suddenly and cannot drive in my preferred electric mode. What’s going on? Another glitch??
Frustrating yes but put it in esave let it idle in your driveway for about 30minuyes then take it out on the hwy for a good drive. It'll go away! Oil temp has to reach 205 or above

·
Registered
303 Posts
So I’m getting this on my dash suddenly and cannot drive in my preferred electric mode. What’s going on? Another glitch??
Hey, Azphoto. If you plan to visit the dealer for this feel free to let us know. We'd be happy to support you while there.

Kate
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
62 Posts
This pops up sometimes when you are putting a heavy load on the battery system. For example 75+mph on the highway and battery is less than 20/15 percent. Others have documented the system is getting hot and the ICE is kicked in to allow the battery to cool off. I think it is considered normal based on other posts about the message.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
1,213 Posts
This pops up sometimes when you are putting a heavy load on the battery system. For example 75+mph on the highway and battery is less than 20/15 percent. Others have documented the system is getting hot and the ICE is kicked in to allow the battery to cool off. I think it is considered normal based on other posts about the message.

Really?? I’ve never heard of that. Are you positive about this? I’m not saying you’re lying, I’ve just never read nor heard that this would happen.

·
Registered
901 Posts
A bit lazy to pull up the manual, but does the Jeep indicate it's in FORM? Plus the info should help anyone that finds there way here.

Mine should kick off in 3 days on the 26th. I hate running the engine but I'm curious to see it in action.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Really?? I’ve never heard of that. Are you positive about this? I’m not saying you’re lying, I’ve just never read nor heard that this would happen.
These are a few of the threads it gets mentioned in on this site - it had also been brought up on a few other sites.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
1,213 Posts
These are a few of the threads it gets mentioned in on this site - it had also been brought up on a few other sites.

Thanks, I’ll read through those tomorrow. 👍🏻

·
Registered
91 Posts
Mine shut down on the highway when I was going 75mph in electric mode. No warning and it did not switch to hybrid automatically, I just lost all power and gas pedal did nothing. Had to switch into hybrid mode manually, then a few seconds later "electric mode unavailable" warning popped up.

I had full charge when I left the house and this was 6 miles/ten minutes into my drive. Probably 70% power left or somewhere around there.

Could battery really be overheating after 10 minutes of normal use? And if so, seems like there should be a warning before it happens and a better solution than just shutting down the vehicle at highway speed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mine shut down on the highway when I was going 75mph in electric mode. No warning and it did not switch to hybrid automatically, I just lost all power and gas pedal did nothing. Had to switch into hybrid mode manually, then a few seconds later "electric mode unavailable" warning popped up.

I had full charge when I left the house and this was 6 miles/ten minutes into my drive. Probably 70% power left or somewhere around there.

Could battery really be overheating after 10 minutes of normal use? And if so, seems like there should be a warning before it happens and a better solution than just shutting down the vehicle at highway speed.
Mine does not shutdown, it just switches to ICE/hybrid mode yours does not sound like normal operation

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gas refresh mode? And…welcome back
I had the same problem...refresh mode...once I hit 5000km....electric would not work and the dealer hasd no idea. I had 40% oil life left so I thought....fuck it. I reset my oil life and started my jeep again. Ta Da electric mode works again. Maybe refresh mode is set for 5000km or 50% oil life?...well I have a week to see before going to the dealership....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem...refresh mode...once I hit 5000km....electric would not work and the dealer hasd no idea. I had 40% oil life left so I thought....fuck it. I reset my oil life and started my jeep again. Ta Da electric mode works again. Maybe refresh mode is set for 5000km or 50% oil life?...well I have a week to see before going to the dealership....
Resetting oil life at 30% worked for me as well. Seems silly if the Fuel and Oil Refresh Mode goes solely by oil life.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
When the vehicle is in FORM because of oil dilution concerns, it is trying to burn off fuel that's in the oil. Resetting the oil life indicator is you telling the vehicle that you have removed all of the diluted oil and replaced it with new oil. It will then go on with it's life, behaving as if the vehicle doesn't have fuel in the oil (at least, until enough things have happened that it thinks it's back).

Resetting the oil minder without actually changing the oil is a really bad idea in the absence of any data suggesting that there isn't actually fuel in the oil. The oil tests that I've seen come back seem to confirm that when the vehicle is in FORM for oil, there usually actually is fuel in the oil. If you keep building up fuel in the oil, it ceases to be able to lubricate properly and will damage the engine severely.

We can certainly argue back and forth about FORM getting stuck on and not clearing, but in the absence of better information, it seems it's more reasonable to assume that the vehicle is failing to satisfy FORM rather than incorrectly being put in FORM.

Long story short, by resetting the oil indicator without replacing the oil, you may be getting out of FORM, but you're opening the door for compounding serious engine issues; definitely much worse than just not being able to go into electric only mode.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Edit: ⬆⬆⬆ what @Mllcb42 said.

@mike.wilkins76 and @Jwr1227
FORM is not just about oil, it's also used to cycle out stale fuel.
These are your vehicles and you can operate them any way you want to. Freedom of choice here.
I absolutly would not suggest resetting the OLM without changing the oil and filter just to get out of FORM.
Have you checked your oil level lately?

Edit: After rereading, kinda sounded like you are getting that oil and filter changed next week. 👍

1 - 20 of 21 Posts