Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just hit 7k miles (4648 Electric and 2352 Gas) and I am now getting this issue. When I start the Jeep it goes straight to ICE. I hit the Electric only button and I get this error: "Electric Mode Unavailable Cabin Heating or Cooling" I then run it hard for about 5 miles without any use of heat/ac. At that point I can hit the Electric button and it goes into Electric only mode for about 2 miles and then the ICE kicks back on at which point I get the same error. If I pull over, turn the vehicle off and back on, I can get into Electric only for another 2 miles and then the ICE kicks back on. (Endless loop)

I've run the tank down to zero and filled up with 87 - no luck. Ran that take down and added 5 gallons of 91 - no luck. I've also run for 60 miles on just ICE getting the oil temp up to 198, that's as high as it seems to go - no luck. I called the dealership and they have no idea.

There are quite a few related threads to this issue with a bunch of suggestions, none of which seem to work. Has anyone ever actually solved this issue?

@JeepCares - do you have any ideas or know of a service department anywhere in the midwest that is capable of addressing the issue?

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I just hit 7k miles (4648 Electric and 2352 Gas) and I am now getting this issue. When I start the Jeep it goes straight to ICE. I hit the Electric only button and I get this error: "Electric Mode Unavailable Cabin Heating or Cooling" I then run it hard for about 5 miles without any use of heat/ac. At that point I can hit the Electric button and it goes into Electric only mode for about 2 miles and then the ICE kicks back on at which point I get the same error. If I pull over, turn the vehicle off and back on, I can get into Electric only for another 2 miles and then the ICE kicks back on. (Endless loop)

I've run the tank down to zero and filled up with 87 - no luck. Ran that take down and added 5 gallons of 91 - no luck. I've also run for 60 miles on just ICE getting the oil temp up to 198, that's as high as it seems to go - no luck. I called the dealership and they have no idea.

There are quite a few related threads to this issue with a bunch of suggestions, none of which seem to work. Has anyone ever actually solved this issue?

@JeepCares - do you have any ideas or know of a service department anywhere in the midwest that is capable of addressing the issue?

Thanks for tagging us here and we are sorry to hear of your concerns. If you are searching for a dealer in your area, please use the Dealer Locate Tool on our website to help: Find a Jeep® Dealership Near You | Jeep®.

Kate
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
44 Posts
So it’s in hybrid mode correct? Is it cold out? What’s the temps? Maybe working as intended? Sorry but we need more info to try and help.

(And why is it this site seems to be a magnet for new posters with problems - another first or second post and… only to post a problem.)

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
893 Posts
So it’s in hybrid mode correct? Is it cold out? What’s the temps? Maybe working as intended? Sorry but we need more info to try and help.

(And why is it this site seems to be a magnet for new posters with problems - another first or second post and… only to post a problem.)
My guess, after reading these in the Hybrid Supplement, is that the Jeep is working as it should. People trying to use Electric Mode and the Jeep won’t let them based on climate control temps in the vehicle. And the Engine must be run.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My guess, after reading these in the Hybrid Supplement, is that the Jeep is working as it should. People trying to use Electric Mode and the Jeep won’t let them based on climate control temps in the vehicle. And the Engine must be run.

It’s effectively stuck in Hybrid mode but it seems to be a different Hybrid mode. In typical Hybrid mode, it defaults to using electric first then gas. In this case it goes straight to gas even though there is a full charge. It does utilize both gas and electric like Hybrid mode when you have no charge but it runs really heavy on the gas. In Hybrid with no charge I get 22 MPG, in whatever mode this is I get 14MPG. I started a trip today with 100% charge and went 51 miles and still had 38% left. I do think it has something to do with coolant or oil temp because after 5 miles at 60MPH+ and 140 degrees+ on the oil temp I can switch it to Electric only mode. It will stay there for 2 miles then switch back to Hybrid with the display message. Once it switches back to Hybrid it won’t go to Electric-only, even though the oil temp is still high, until I shut the vehicle off and turn it back on. This happens with heat/AC on or off.

Great question on the outside temperature. When this started the temperature was 55F, unfortunately it hasn’t gotten back above that to test at warmer temps. The additional 4xe Manual alludes to this happening at lower ambient temperatures but doesn’t give a specific number.

I think there are so many first time posters with issues here because their issue inspires them to find this site. After finding this and poking around a bit, there is a ton of great info here. There are a bunch of posts related to this issue but no official fixes. I posted a fresh one hoping that Jeep is watching all of these come in and realizes there is an issue. Hopefully they get a software update out that either addresses the issue or at least changes the display messages so people don’t go insane. There is no way that this Electric Mode Unavailable… message passed any UAT.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
893 Posts
It’s effectively stuck in Hybrid mode but it seems to be a different Hybrid mode. In typical Hybrid mode, it defaults to using electric first then gas. In this case it goes straight to gas even though there is a full charge. It does utilize both gas and electric like Hybrid mode when you have no charge but it runs really heavy on the gas. In Hybrid with no charge I get 22 MPG, in whatever mode this is I get 14MPG. I started a trip today with 100% charge and went 51 miles and still had 38% left. I do think it has something to do with coolant or oil temp because after 5 miles at 60MPH+ and 140 degrees+ on the oil temp I can switch it to Electric only mode. It will stay there for 2 miles then switch back to Hybrid with the display message. Once it switches back to Hybrid it won’t go to Electric-only, even though the oil temp is still high, until I shut the vehicle off and turn it back on. This happens with heat/AC on or off.

Great question on the outside temperature. When this started the temperature was 55F, unfortunately it hasn’t gotten back above that to test at warmer temps. The additional 4xe Manual alludes to this happening at lower ambient temperatures but doesn’t give a specific number.

I think there are so many first time posters with issues here because their issue inspires them to find this site. After finding this and poking around a bit, there is a ton of great info here. There are a bunch of posts related to this issue but no official fixes. I posted a fresh one hoping that Jeep is watching all of these come in and realizes there is an issue. Hopefully they get a software update out that either addresses the issue or at least changes the display messages so people don’t go insane. There is no way that this Electric Mode Unavailable… message passed any UAT.
Sounds like you are in Oil Refresh mode.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Having the same issue. For me, it started after I came out to a dead battery so I'm wondering if I have a faulty 12v battery. I know low battery power causes some really wonky things in Wranglers with the electronics. When I start it up, every time, my voltage reads in the mid 14s, which indicates to me that it's needing to charge the 12v battery.

·
Registered
9 Posts

UPDATING this post….

My 4xe went into Cabin Heating and Cooling mode in October when the temp dropped below 50 for a few days and never came out. I escalated through my dealer and Jeep customer care and went back and forth for weeks. Finally Jeep customer care and Jeep Engineering made it clear that the Electric motor in Hybrid or Electric Only mode really doesn’t work consistently under 50 degrees (F). The dealer said that Electric only mode is limited at temperatures below 50 degrees. The Star case technician said it is working like it should and when the weather changes we are going to see these kind of changes on these vehicles.

This cannot be correct. People on other threads have been saying that this issue is caused by a bad battery module or temperature sensor. When I ask the dealership, they keep telling me that Jeep Engineering says it is working like it should. This weekend I was comparing notes with another 4xe owner. She has never had the Cabin Heating and Cooling issue. We sat our 4xe’s side by side and started them up. The temperature was about 57 degrees. Her’s started right into regular hybrid mode, no ICE running at all. Mine went straight to ICE at a steady 2000 RPMs. She was able to turn on the heat, the AC, everything – No issues. Mine finally came out of ICE after running for about 10 minutes but as soon as I turned on the fan, the message came up on the dash and the ICE kicked back on. Does anyone know what the ambient temperature threshold really is and how much should it vary? It seems strange that 2 almost identical Jeeps run so differently.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It is a bit disingenuous that Jeep adds show the 4xe in electric mode in places that you know get below 50 degrees and I’m not sure how they got the MPe rating for a vehicle that is really only a PHEV in limited climates, but that’s how it works. Just be patient, according to Jeep you will have your Electric back in the spring/summer.
Wait, so the official company line is that the E in 4xe only works above 50 degrees? That seems insane. Is there documentation on this so where from Jeep?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey all! Update on my issue. Today I discovered this only happens on mine if climate control is on. I rolled out today without it on and had no issues running the entire time in electric. Have an appt at the jeep dealer at the end of Dec to figure out whats going on.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Today I discovered this only happens on mine if climate control is on. I rolled out today without it on and had no issues running the entire time in electric
This isn't surprising if it's cold out. There are 2 heaters in the vehicle; one connected to the motor and one electric. When it's cold, heating through just the electic isn't particularly effective, so having climate control on increases the demand and prompts the vehicle to fire up the motor for heating, at least until things are warm enough to not be needed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This isn't surprising if it's cold out. There are 2 heaters in the vehicle; one connected to the motor and one electric. When it's cold, heating through just the electic isn't particularly effective, so having climate control on increases the demand and prompts the vehicle to fire up the motor for heating, at least until things are warm enough to not be needed.

Unfortunately, this has been an issue for me for the past two months and I dont live in a cold climate. It doesn't matter if its 80 or 40, its an issue every time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We just started having this Electric Mode Unavailable issue about two weeks or so ago. Note that we have had our 4XE since early April when it was still fairly cold out and now have nearly 8,000 miles on it. We've been extremely pleased with its electric capability up until now. However, it seems something has changed. Just had the dealer look at it today and they don't know what's going on but are awaiting word from Jeep for more info. Apparently, this is a known issue and Jeep is trying to sort through it. The dealer is ill-equipped with understanding what's going on. It's kind of like a black box and Jeep doesn't adequately collect long term system and statistical information for diagnostic purposes.

We have a level 2 charger in the garage and keep it plugged in at home. Yes, it's the Chicago suburbs and it's colder out now but garage temp has been in the mid 50s yet the electric mode is still not available at ignition until after a good 10 or more minutes of driving. In fact, it was 60 degrees in the garage over the weekend (I do keep a bit of heat on in the garage) when I started it and ICE still kicked in first even with climate controls turned off. The problem is that the electric part of hybrid mode is not used much even after engine/cabin warmup. During one trip before Thanksgiving, my wife drove more than 40 miles but battery percentage only went down to 70% while in hybrid mode with regen on. During another recent trip, my wife drove about 80 miles and the battery indicator finally went down to 1% after about 78 miles of driving, just before she got back home. She made a couple stops along the way, the longest stop was about 10 minutes or so. We were regularly getting around 30+ MPG but now it's sitting at 24 MPG and likely to go lower as winter progresses.

So, if this is working as designed, then we're not impressed. My wife's commute is typically about 10 miles total but could be longer if she needs to drive to other locations for work. For this short commute, she has been able to drive on electric probably 70% or more of the time. However, lately, for these short commutes, electric seems to be useless. This means that electric will be nearly useless for 6 months of the year here in Chicago.

This is very unfortunate and may very well impact future sales with people we know. This is our 3rd Jeep Wrangler that we currently own in our immediate family. (We joke that we now have a fleet of them.) My wife and I have a lot of friends, family and work colleagues who have purchased Jeep Wranglers over the years due to our experience. In fact, we have one work colleague that ordered a 4XE and this could very well impact their decision to take delivery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok, just got back from driving it around a good 40 minutes or so. The Jeep was fully charged and still warm when I started but it's a cold 20 degrees outside. At first, it forced me into Hybrid mode with the expected "Electric Mode Unavailable Cabin Heating or Cooling" message. I made sure to set the cabin heater on to 68 degrees auto with fan set at 1 and left it that way. Not too cold or too hot and without the fan blasting so it was efficiently heating the cabin. After a good 10 minutes or so, it allowed me to engage into Electric mode. However, it soon disengaged after 2 to 3 miles and dropped back into hybrid with the same message. In fact, I could get this cycle to continue repeatedly over and over again where it would force hybrid after a few miles and then enable me to engage electric for a couple miles. MPG remained pretty consistent at 24.2. So, the question is why does it not stay in electric mode and cycle like this? Does the battery only stay heated via ICE? Is there a sensory or component failure? Is it a problem with the algorithm or a bug? Or is it intentionally designed to do that?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Does the battery only stay heated via ICE?
There is heating via ice and heating via electricity. Sounds like it was getting warm enough to allow the engine to turn off, and then the electric only wasn't able to keep up with the thermal load, so it kicked back on. Rinse and repeat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is heating via ice and heating via electricity. Sounds like it was getting warm enough to allow the engine to turn off, and then the electric only wasn't able to keep up with the thermal load, so it kicked back on. Rinse and repeat.
That's true. But it doesn't seem like heating via electricity works at all. I hear no noise from the rear of the vehicle any more, no battery conditioning. I will check back with the dealer.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts