Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
21 - 40 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
My guess, after reading these in the Hybrid Supplement, is that the Jeep is working as it should. People trying to use Electric Mode and the Jeep won’t let them based on climate control temps in the vehicle. And the Engine must be run.
So it’s in hybrid mode correct? Is it cold out? What’s the temps? Maybe working as intended? Sorry but we need more info to try and help.

(And why is it this site seems to be a magnet for new posters with problems - another first or second post and… only to post a problem.)
Two things…

1. I have this “Electric Mode Unavailable. Cabin cooling or heating” and my common sense said it was part of normal operation. However, after five miles of this my CEL came on. This was concerning.

It was mile 50… I had my new 4xe Rubi for 3 days. Error code: P0C74 motor Electronics Coolant pump B.

2. Why is this a magnet for new posters with problems? Easy… people are super excited to get their new Jeep and simultaneously they are then devastated and full of anxiety they got a lemon.

They are seeking answers and community.

I’ve owned jeeps all my life, 2 CJ7s, CJ5, classic cherokees, grand cherokees, JKU… and now my Rubi 4Xe… I’ve been super excited to join the forums and share mods, learn etc…

I didn’t even have time to install my son’s freaking booster seat, let alone 35s, side steps, or my tow hitch, before experiencing a problem.

So… that’s why people are posting their problems.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
920 Posts
Two things…

1. I have this “Electric Mode Unavailable. Cabin cooling or heating” and my common sense said it was part of normal operation. However, after five miles of this my CEL came on. This was concerning.

It was mile 50… I had my new 4xe Rubi for 3 days. Error code: P0C74 motor Electronics Coolant pump B.

2. Why is this a magnet for new posters with problems? Easy… people are super excited to get their new Jeep and simultaneously they are then devastated and full of anxiety they got a lemon.

They are seeking answers and community.

I’ve owned jeeps all my life, 2 CJ7s, CJ5, classic cherokees, grand cherokees, JKU… and now my Rubi 4Xe… I’ve been super excited to join the forums and share mods, learn etc…

I didn’t even have time to install my son’s freaking booster seat, let alone 35s, side steps, or my tow hitch, before experiencing a problem.

So… that’s why people are posting their problems.
So what was the problem??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Curious if you have an update? Yesterday I started experiencing the same issues as you - CEL and no electric mode. After I have been driving for some time , I can turn off then back on and it will go into electric mode. Just over 600 miles and only had it for a couple weeks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Curious if you have an update? Yesterday I started experiencing the same issues as you - CEL and no electric mode. After I have been driving for some time , I can turn off then back on and it will go into electric mode. Just over 600 miles and only had it for a couple weeks!
I do actually! On Thursday I took it in again (after the reset the CEL and then it came back on the next day).

They had it Thursday and Friday, spending hours on it looking at the pump and wiring. They said everything was in working order and they even put 43 miles on it trying to get it to come back on. They couldn't.

I got it back Sat AM and drove it all weekend with no issues. I did charge it twice too. So, I dunno... I'm just waiting for it to come on again. I didn't tell me i couldn't go into electric mode. Once the engine came on and it said Fuel and Oil Refresh mode. But from what I read, that is normal operation.

I'm chalking this up to being a brand new vehicle with brand new technology. But we'll see.

B

·
Registered
3 Posts
Appreciate the update. I am getting the error: “Electric Mode Unavailable. Cabin cooling or heating” which seems to be different from FORM.

Did they tell you what code resulted in the CEL? Seems the dealers are not armed with very much information so trying to go in as educated as possible. ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
My whole thing started with the same message you got above. Then the CEL came on. The code was: Error code: P0C74 motor Electronics Coolant pump B

I’m definitely curious to know your error code.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Those of us that dealt with P0C74 added a bunch of info here back in April:

We were all cautioned not to freak out, all first year models have growing pains and that Jeep would get these taken care of right away!

Which turned into:

Sorry, I dont think it will help much getting your 4xe's back up and running any time soon though. You can try reaching out to JeepCares, explaining what a 4xe is and see if they will bird dog your replacment parts. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for all the information. Dealer says it needs an electric coolant pump. I have reached out to @JeepCares to see they can help expedite as they currently do not have an ETA.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for all the information. Dealer says it needs an electric coolant pump. I have reached out to @JeepCares to see they can help expedite as they currently do not have an ETA.
I'm really curious about this... because...is it actually a faulty coolant pump? or is something else triggering it. Might be something to bring up with JeepCares. Because it is clearly happening with many people. Sounds like it is time for a recall.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Faulty pumps in my case. I believe they are monitoring the amp load. On one of mine that failed you could hear it internally rubbing. This was back in April though. I would have thought they would have gotten all this resolved by now. Sucks to hear it is still going on. Hope yours gets resolved sooner than ours did and doesn't turn out to be such a hassle.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Faulty pumps in my case. I believe they are monitoring the amp load. On one of mine that failed you could hear it internally rubbing. This was back in April though. I would have thought they would have gotten all this resolved by now. Sucks to hear it is still going on. Hope yours gets resolved sooner than ours did and doesn't turn out to be such a hassle.
Well, the good news for now is that my CEL hasn’t come on and it’s been a week with 150 miles. So far so good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What you are seeing is how the Jeep 4xe is designed. My 4xe went into Cabin Heating and Cooling mode in October when the temp dropped below 50 for a few days and never came out. I escalated through my dealer and Jeep customer care and have been going back and forth for weeks as this just doesn’t seem right. However, Jeep customer care and Jeep Engineering have made it clear that Electric only really doesn’t work under 50 degrees (F). They say that Electric only mode is limited at temperatures below 50 degrees. The 4xe needs to keep the battery at ambient temperatures. At temperatures under 50 degrees (F) it will run in ICE mode until the battery is above the ambient temperature. At that time it can be placed into electric only mode until the battery temperature goes back below ambient temp. Then ICE kicks back on again.

This is why you are seeing it come in and out of Electric only mode. The ICE kicks on when you start it and after about 20 minutes of run time, depending on the external temp, it will go into Electric mode, only to go back to ICE once the battery cools. This is also why it is so sporadic and difficult to pin point. The closer it is to 50 degrees, the faster it warms up and stays warm longer. In colder weather it takes longer to heat and gets cooler much quicker. The module is located behind the left front wheel and not well protected from the wind. This is why the dealers are telling people to drive slower once it gets to Electric mode to extend the time before the ICE kicks on. It’s also why you can’t run the heater while in Electric mode. Once you turn on the heat, the 4xe thinks that it is cold, displays the Cabin Cooling or Heating message, and engages the ICE. The only way back to Electric once you use the heat is to reset the sensor by turning off the Jeep and turning it back on again.

I’ve noticed that if I remote start and let it run for a while, I can get out of ICE mode faster. Then I try not to use the heat until ICE kicks back on. I’ve also heard that installing a Winter front helps, but haven’t tried that yet. It is a bit disingenuous that Jeep adds show the 4xe in electric mode in places that you know get below 50 degrees and I’m not sure how they got the MPe rating for a vehicle that is really only a PHEV in limited climates, but that’s how it works. Just be patient, according to Jeep you will have your Electric back in the spring/summer.
Great explanation and spot on with behavior of my 4xe up in Montreal, Canada. Basically what I'm hearing is this PHEV system is NOT made for Canadian winters because it is below threshold temperatures almost 6 months out of the year. We should all get some $$$ back for false advertising.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just hit 7k miles (4648 Electric and 2352 Gas) and I am now getting this issue. When I start the Jeep it goes straight to ICE. I hit the Electric only button and I get this error: "Electric Mode Unavailable Cabin Heating or Cooling" I then run it hard for about 5 miles without any use of heat/ac. At that point I can hit the Electric button and it goes into Electric only mode for about 2 miles and then the ICE kicks back on at which point I get the same error. If I pull over, turn the vehicle off and back on, I can get into Electric only for another 2 miles and then the ICE kicks back on. (Endless loop)

I've run the tank down to zero and filled up with 87 - no luck. Ran that take down and added 5 gallons of 91 - no luck. I've also run for 60 miles on just ICE getting the oil temp up to 198, that's as high as it seems to go - no luck. I called the dealership and they have no idea.

There are quite a few related threads to this issue with a bunch of suggestions, none of which seem to work. Has anyone ever actually solved this issue?

@JeepCares - do you have any ideas or know of a service department anywhere in the midwest that is capable of addressing the issue?

Thanks in advance for any help!
I have exactly the same issue, at 1000km
I cannot fine any answer from the dealer or Mopar,
I ==We should put in a recall

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for sharing all your knowledge team. I'm having all the same issues too. In Portland Oregon where temps have dipped a bit. At first got the FORM error and Electric Mode Unavailable. Reset the oil and fixed the problem for two starts before Electric won't start again. Now I'm getting the Cabin heating or cooling error and getting about 14 MPG. Gonna try taking it out of Climate Control but that is insane if Jeep thinks that's a reasonable fix. Didn't get a 4xe to run electric only above 50 degrees.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My Customer Care case manager informed me that Jeep is aware and working on this "electric unavailable" issue. He will provide more information as it becomes available.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My Customer Care case manager informed me that Jeep is aware and working on this "electric unavailable" issue. He will provide more information as it becomes available.
I've had my 4xe since April with no issues (no FORM and no cabin heating/cooling message) running it in electric mode until I took it in for its 10,000 mile oil change in early December where they applied the software updates and the recall. I live in SoCal where it's been in the 40s F at night above 60F during the day, but since the dealer visit it has been in and out of cabin heating/cooling to the point where it is basically running on gas all the time - which is ridiculous with fuel at nearly $5 a gallon especially since I have solar panels.

This morning the ambient was 51F and it again started the gas engine immediately even with climate off. I watched the oil temp climb to above 174F where it finally allowed me to switch into electric mode and the engine stopped, but once the oil temp dropped below 174F it went back to cabin heating/cooling mode and switched the engine back on until the oil temp was over 174F again. Its been the same roller coaster since then.

Does anyone have any idea how to stop this cycle? Again for 8 months I was ecstatic with my Jeep - truly impressed that it just worked - now after going from a tank of gas a month to a tank a week, I'm looking to return it.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
920 Posts
I've had my 4xe since April with no issues (no FORM and no cabin heating/cooling message) running it in electric mode until I took it in for its 10,000 mile oil change in early December where they applied the software updates and the recall. I live in SoCal where it's been in the 40s F at night above 60F during the day, but since the dealer visit it has been in and out of cabin heating/cooling to the point where it is basically running on gas all the time - which is ridiculous with fuel at nearly $5 a gallon especially since I have solar panels.

This morning the ambient was 51F and it again started the gas engine immediately even with climate off. I watched the oil temp climb to above 174F where it finally allowed me to switch into electric mode and the engine stopped, but once the oil temp dropped below 174F it went back to cabin heating/cooling mode and switched the engine back on until the oil temp was over 174F again. Its been the same roller coaster since then.

Does anyone have any idea how to stop this cycle? Again for 8 months I was ecstatic with my Jeep - truly impressed that it just worked - now after going from a tank of gas a month to a tank a week, I'm looking to return it.

Any help would be appreciated.
So you have full charge, and you run in electric mode, then it switches the ICE on? And into which mode, hybrid?? Or E-Save?? If it goes into hybrid mode, it’s only using mainly ICE? But it is not in FORM for sure correct?? Please explain better so possibly someone can help or steer you the right way.

Edit: Sounds like a temp sensor or heating/cooling pump or something like that is misreading engine or battery temps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So you have full charge, and you run in electric mode, then it switches the ICE on? And into which mode, hybrid?? Or E-Save?? If it goes into hybrid mode, it’s only using mainly ICE? But it is not in FORM for sure correct?? Please explain better so possibly someone can help or steer you the right way.

Edit: Sounds like a temp sensor or heating/cooling pump or something like that is misreading engine or battery temps.
In all cases it has a full charge and it is not FORM. I have not run it in e-save since I first got the Jeep in April just to check it out.

Now, since the oil change, the engine starts when I start the Jeep vs. running on electric. The mode is hybrid. When I try to switch to electric, unless the oil temp is above 174 F, it errors with Cabin Heating and Cooling. Similarly, while in hybrid it will only run off the battery while the oil temp is above 174 F. Once the engine cools on electric and drops below 174F the gas engine kicks back on.

21 - 40 of 132 Posts