Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
41 - 60 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
920 Posts
In all cases it has a full charge and it is not FORM. I have not run it in e-save since I first got the Jeep in April just to check it out.

Now, since the oil change, the engine starts when I start the Jeep vs. running on electric. The mode is hybrid. When I try to switch to electric, unless the oil temp is above 174 F, it errors with Cabin Heating and Cooling. Similarly, while in hybrid it will only run off the battery while the oil temp is above 174 F. Once the engine cools on electric and drops below 174F the gas engine kicks back on.
Something wrong there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any help would be appreciated.
My Jeep case manager got back to me and said Jeep engineers are poring over a 4XE with the exact same "electric unavailable" issue that you, I and, apparently, a lot of other folks are having. Just glad it's not my Jeep tied up in the shop. The service manager at the dealer was pretty empathetic and wished he had a fix for it. He suggested that I really push Jeep Cares hard and elevate the issue which is what I did. I had to switch case managers as my first one was not very responsive. So now, I have an open case with a case manager who is very good to work with and promised updates whenever he gets any new information. He's guessing the problem is related to the software patches applied back to our Jeep back in Oct -- but he really doesn't know.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
920 Posts
My Jeep case manager got back to me and said Jeep engineers are poring over a 4XE with the exact same "electric unavailable" issue that you, I and, apparently, a lot of other folks are having. Just glad it's not my Jeep tied up in the shop. The service manager at the dealer was pretty empathetic and wished he had a fix for it. He suggested that I really push Jeep Cares hard and elevate the issue which is what I did. I had to switch case managers as my first one was not very responsive. So now, I have an open case with a case manager who is very good to work with and promised updates whenever he gets any new information. He's guessing the problem is related to the software patches applied back to our Jeep back in Oct -- but he really doesn't know.
Thanks for the update, at least they are communicating with you, even if you do have to badger them. Good on you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just joining to add on to this thread and follow. My Jeep is going to the shop next week. It has to be the update. I’ve own the Jeep since June of 21 and never had this issue until the software update was done on the 4xe system in November. I use to get almost 1k miles on a single tank and now I’m barely getting 300 miles due to this issue. It’s pretty annoying and costly. Defeats the purpose of the electric aspect if it defaults to gas all the time. Hoping they have a solution soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It gets cold in October and November… and based on the message this notification would come on during heating or cooling. So if the AC is running in June, I’m sure we will be experiencing the same issue.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I'm yet to see any reports of it happening due to ac. Seems to be much more tied to well below freezing temperatures.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Is there a way to see what version of the “software” each of us is running?

An recap and update on my situation… my 4xeRU was built in November, I took ownership first week of Dec, and I live in North Jersey. Within 80 miles of ownership, and with avg temps in the high 30s to 50s , I started getting electric temporarily unavailable cabin heating cooling. Few miles later CEL. Took to dealer… code was P0C74 motor Electronics Coolant pump B. They drove it a total of 40 miles trying to replicate it. Couldn’t. Since then I haven’t had this situation about happen.

But Then I started getting gas/oil refresh mode and electric unavailable! I couldn’t put it in electric only after this happens. I could be in electric only and then accelerate hard and then GOR kicks in. Then it won’t go back to electric until after I shut off the vehicle. Some people say that’s the algorithm doing it’s thing. So, with that in mind I said… hey, I’ll let the Jeep do it’s thing.

Depleted the charge and tank both pretty much to empty. Filled up and drove on the highway for a while after taking Brandon’s Advice. I got 555mile on my first tank of gas.

Since then I’ve driven about 600 miles with no issues. Temps have been in the 20s and 30s and hybrid mode seems to be doing its thing - ICE even goes off on its own. And… Here’s the kicker: I have been able to put it into electric only whenever I want (so far I haven’t gone very far since the first fill up).

Back to my opening question about version. I don’t know if the dealer did a software upgrade. The service invoice didn’t mention it, so I’m guessing not. But very curious what version we are all running.

Will keep updating if things change.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
920 Posts
Is there a way to see what version of the “software” each of us is running?

An recap and update on my situation… my 4xeRU was built in November, I took ownership first week of Dec, and I live in North Jersey. Within 80 miles of ownership, and with avg temps in the high 30s to 50s , I started getting electric temporarily unavailable cabin heating cooling. Few miles later CEL. Took to dealer… code was P0C74 motor Electronics Coolant pump B. They drove it a total of 40 miles trying to replicate it. Couldn’t. Since then I haven’t had this situation about happen.

But Then I started getting gas/oil refresh mode and electric unavailable! I couldn’t put it in electric only after this happens. I could be in electric only and then accelerate hard and then GOR kicks in. Then it won’t go back to electric until after I shut off the vehicle. Some people say that’s the algorithm doing it’s thing. So, with that in mind I said… hey, I’ll let the Jeep do it’s thing.

Depleted the charge and tank both pretty much to empty. Filled up and drove on the highway for a while after taking Brandon’s Advice. I got 555mile on my first tank of gas.

Since then I’ve driven about 600 miles with no issues. Temps have been in the 20s and 30s and hybrid mode seems to be doing its thing - ICE even goes off on its own. And… Here’s the kicker: I have been able to put it into electric only whenever I want (so far I haven’t gone very far since the first fill up).

Back to my opening question about version. I don’t know if the dealer did a software upgrade. The service invoice didn’t mention it, so I’m guessing not. But very curious what version we are all running.

Will keep updating if things change.
More than likely you were in FORM for fuel refresh. Because normal driving around at those temps won’t satisfy the oil refresh. Glad your first problem hasn’t come back. Also, there is a way to see which version of software you’re running on the head unit. I don’t know how, sorry. Try YouTube or Google or call any dealership service department. Should be easy…

Edit: I believe you can use your VIN on a Stellantis site to check software version as well.

·
Registered
305 Posts
You can get into Dealer Mode on the Uconnect by pressing and holding the bottom left and bottom right corners of the touchscreen (Media button/Settings button on my screens layout) at the same time for 5 seconds.
I don't think the Unconnect software version is the info you are looking for though.

White Communication Device Gadget Computer Font

Gadget Font Communication Device Display device Electronic device

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm yet to see any reports of it happening due to ac. Seems to be much more tied to well below freezing temperatures.
I didnt mean to imply that it is related to the AC, just stating that the message is related to cooling as well. In general I can assure everyone that since the update occurred, Ive started having the issue. Before the update, I was maximizing the electric feature and could go over 800 miles on a single tank. I go in next week. Going to see if the dealer can roll me back a version and then go to test it out. I am pretty sure this is going to be the case. The behavior before and after the update are pretty noticeable. I live in VA, so the temps fluctuates between 30-60s during the winter and its been happening regardless of temp.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I didnt mean to imply that it is related to the AC, just stating that the message is related to cooling as well. In general I can assure everyone that since the update occurred, Ive started having the issue. Before the update, I was maximizing the electric feature and could go over 800 miles on a single tank. I go in next week. Going to see if the dealer can roll me back a version and then go to test it out. I am pretty sure this is going to be the case. The behavior before and after the update are pretty noticeable. I live in VA, so the temps fluctuates between 30-60s during the winter and its been happening regardless of temp.
Cool. See if they can tell you what the version is/was.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can confirm that the AC causes the cabin heating and cooling issue as well. It was over 80 in LA yesterday and with a near full charge (92%) and on electric (the Jeep started with the gas engine again by default, ran for about 10 minutes before it switched to the battery in hybrid and then I was able to switch to electric), within a minute of the AC being on cabin heating/cooling message chimed and the engine came back on.

I dropped my Jeep off first thing this morning at the dealer and as of 5pm tonight, they have no idea what to do and offered me a rental for "a few days". I asked them to roll back the patch to the initial factory settings. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

·
Registered
2021 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
9 Posts
I am glad in a way that this issue is not isolated to just me. The ICE starts every time now even inside my garage at 65 F, even though I NEVER run the heater, or the ac. It will after the engine heats up allow me to switch to electric, but eventually it insists on the engine running and gives the "Electric mode unavailable Cabin Heating or Cooling" even tho it shows "Climate Off" on the climate control, and none of the heaters are set to on and the jeep is at 65 F.

Weird. If this persists I may sell it. KBB says it is worth more than I paid 6 months ago.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am glad in a way that this issue is not isolated to just me. The ICE starts every time now even inside my garage at 65 F, even though I NEVER run the heater, or the ac. It will after the engine heats up allow me to switch to electric, but eventually it insists on the engine running and gives the "Electric mode unavailable Cabin Heating or Cooling" even tho it shows "Climate Off" on the climate control, and none of the heaters are set to on and the jeep is at 65 F.

Weird. If this persists I may sell it. KBB says it is worth more than I paid 6 months ago.
Lol, same thing I have been thinking...

·
Registered
2021 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
9 Posts
Looks like hook side ended up opening a ticket for this:

My Dealer had mine for two weeks and finally asked me to take it back because they could not fix it. They advised to work directly with Jeep customer care. While it sounds like people see it start at low temps, once it happens you pretty much have a 4 cylinder gas Jeep that gets 22MPG and randomly will pop into electric mode for 2-4 miles. Occurs at 32 – 72 degrees. Here’s the number to open your case (have your VIN ready) : 844-533-7928

I'm calling them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been experiencing this same issue for about a week, ironically roughly following an oil change and the reset of the oil change window, potentially unrelated. About 10 days prior I did have some RRT's applied. I live in Northern California and we have cool nights warm days. Can start the vehicle with climate control off and electric mode works. Any use of climate control will kick the engine on, both AC or Heat or even just fan.

I've opened a case with Jeep Cares and they are arranging a dealer appointment. Not hopeful that the dealer will be able to resolve until there is a known fix. I told them I needed the appointment to be a few weeks out so that I could potentially benefit from someone else's fix.

The Jeep Cares guy did start to say "with the weather change this is normal" and I had to debunk a bit. I have had the vehicle up in Tahoe covered in 14 inches of snow and the heater did just fine in electric mode, and last summer it did fine in electric mode on 105 degree days. I drove it 7 months without ever seeing this message. Now I see this message with any climate control use at all, even on a 70 degree day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Hi Everyone – I started this thread 2 months ago and sadly, have made very little progress. Lots of Jeep Wave cases opened and closed and escalations to Jeep Engineering across multiple dealerships. One thing that I have validated with certainty is that Jeep has not trained the dealerships on the 4xe and has not equipped their techs to troubleshoot. To address this, I have created several videos in my 4xe to show the issue and in the 4xe’s of my friends to show properly working 4xe’s as most dealers don’t even have a working 4xe onsite to compare. There seems to be a growing number of people in this forum and over on the Facebook 4xe Fans group that have the Electric Mode Unavailable Cabin Cooling or Heating Issue. There are even more that have the FORM issue. It can be quite confusing, so I have posted one of my videos showing the Cabin Cooling or Heating issue here:

Take a look and see if this is what you are seeing. Please note that this issue seems to be slightly different for everyone: different temps, length, MPG, timing between this and FORM, etc. If you have CHOC, best thing to do is call Jeep Wave to open your case and get to the dealership asap.

P.S. Chris Hall has a great post on Facebook about how we should all refer to these issues and there is a great pinned post about the expected behavior of the Wrangler 4xe in colder temps. Definitely check it out.
Electric Mode Unavailable Cabin Cooling or Heating Issue = CHOC
Fuel Oil Refresh Mode = FORM
Electric Mode Unavailable for no apparent reason = EMU

41 - 60 of 132 Posts