Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
61 - 80 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Everyone – I started this thread 2 months ago and sadly, have made very little progress. Lots of Jeep Wave cases opened and closed and escalations to Jeep Engineering across multiple dealerships. One thing that I have validated with certainty is that Jeep has not trained the dealerships on the 4xe and has not equipped their techs to troubleshoot. To address this, I have created several videos in my 4xe to show the issue and in the 4xe’s of my friends to show properly working 4xe’s as most dealers don’t even have a working 4xe onsite to compare. There seems to be a growing number of people in this forum and over on the Facebook 4xe Fans group that have the Electric Mode Unavailable Cabin Cooling or Heating Issue. There are even more that have the FORM issue. It can be quite confusing, so I have posted one of my videos showing the Cabin Cooling or Heating issue here:

Take a look and see if this is what you are seeing. Please note that this issue seems to be slightly different for everyone: different temps, length, MPG, timing between this and FORM, etc. If you have CHOC, best thing to do is call Jeep Wave to open your case and get to the dealership asap.

P.S. Chris Hall has a great post on Facebook about how we should all refer to these issues and there is a great pinned post about the expected behavior of the Wrangler 4xe in colder temps. Definitely check it out.
Electric Mode Unavailable Cabin Cooling or Heating Issue = CHOC
Fuel Oil Refresh Mode = FORM
Electric Mode Unavailable for no apparent reason = EMU
Thanks for this, and the video, it's dead on what I'm seeing. Not FORM, not EMU, but the CHOC issue. I couldn't find Chris Hall's "definitions" but I did see a thread started by Chris on a Facebook forum that had some interesting comments by a Jon Ward:

Jon Ward
I struggled with this error for weeks - back and forth with the dealer, tinkering with all the settings and HVAC, etc - and just got it resolved. I’m up in Ottawa, Canada and it gets very cold here, so at first as winter hit I just assumed the cold outdoor temps were to blame. But after parking underground in a heated garage and still getting the same error I knew something was wrong. Turns out there’s a special part in the hybrid system to heat the big battery, keeps it at an optimal run temp. Mine ended up being broken (took the dealer days to figure it out). Then, had to wait about a month for the new part because yada yada supply chains. Now, even with temps that don’t get above freezing, it’s working very similarly to when I first got it in the summer. So all in all I feel your frustration! Could be worth suggesting to your dealer if it’s still an issue.

Gregory Michael
Jon Ward what’s the part? Lot of dealers still have no clue how to diagnose these. Telling them exactly what to look at will likely work better.

Jon Ward
Gregory Michael seems to be called Heater 08-015-020 with part number 68443445-AB

@JeepCares didn't seem to be able to find other cases on this topic despite all the folks on this thread that claim they have cases open. My guy Nelson was extremely nice but could only find the "this is normal it's winter" canned response.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great video! This is exactly what my 4XE does and you are right about the mass confusion with Jeep dealers, techs, support, and these mythical Jeep Engineers that keep saying it isn't an issue. I've had to go to the dealer and do test drives with the techs to show them how 4XEs work and don't work just to keep my cases open. Once it happens, there is really no way out. The only time I can get back to regular Hybrid mode is immediately after I do the FORM burn off process and everything is super hot. Even then I can only get a few miles of electric before CHOC comes back. It's not really an external temperature thing - It happens at 7 or 70 degrees!!!

·
Registered
2021 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
9 Posts
I noticed that the dash display of temperature is often incorrect when starting the vehicle. It appears to display the temperature of last read when the vehicle was turned off.
I started my vehicle in the 60 degree garage and let it run for a min and was able to switch to electric after the engine started, but the dash shoed 37 degrees. I shut it off and started it 4 times before it read 62 degrees. somewhere along the way it stopped staring the ICE on start.

I will be going out on errands today to see if there is any improvement in the CHOC issue.

Does anyone else have diagnostic steps or observations that can lead to a fix?

·
Registered
2021 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
9 Posts
No improvement here. The Engine insists on being between 137 and 190 coolant temp.
at 190 it allows the Electric mode but goes back to CHOC at 137 and runs again until 190.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The best thing you can do at this point is to open a case with @JeepCares or Jeep Wave (844-533-7928). Tell them your 4XE has gone into CHOC and won’t come out. They are going to tell you that you are in FORM and you should read the supplemental manual. You will explain to them the difference between CHOC and FORM and they are going to respond with: “the 4XE is designed to use ICE in cold weather.” You are going to ask them if they have ever heard of this issue and they are going to say “no.” If you get Leslie or Nelson, you know that is absolutely not true because there are several people in this forum that have opened cases through these two Jeep Wave reps. You are going to ask to be escalated to a higher level and they are going to tell you that the only way to get higher support is through the dealership. You are going to ask them to refer you to a dealer that is capable of fixing the issue. They are going to connect you to either the dealer where you bought the Jeep or the nearest one to your location. This is very helpful because you will get priority scheduling. When you get to the dealer they are going to plug the Jeep into the “computer”, which will say there is no issue. You are going to ask the dealer to open up a Star case. A Jeep Engineer, who you will not be allowed to speak with, will tell your dealer that the Jeep is working as designed. Your dealer will tell you they have done all they can. - Repeat the cycle - It sounds painful, and it is, but until there are enough cases in the system, everyone with CHOC will be stuck with a 20mpg, 4 cylinder, Wrangler that they cannot enjoy or trade. Open that case asap!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not sure if this has anything to do with any of this, but when I check the gauges in the “off road pages,” I always get an incorrect calculation for the oil temp. I am beginning to wonder is there is some sort of coding error taking the wrong information from the various sensors and feeding that information to the mechanical systems like pumps.
Gauge Car Font Measuring instrument Auto part

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well... with Oil Temp at 419 (F) you should have no problem getting out of FORM!!! You may be right, lot's of people on the Forums noticing temp inconsitencies.

·
Registered
| 2012 JKU Sahara | 2021 4xe Sahara |
144 Posts
Well... with Oil Temp at 419 (F) you should have no problem getting out of FORM!!! You may be right, lot's of people on the Forums noticing temp inconsitencies.
“419” is one of the known “Easter eggs” Jeep likes to incorporate into their vehicles somewhere or other and on the 4xe, it’s in the oil temp reading at start up. It is the area code for their Toledo, Ohio plant where the wranglers are built. A sort of fun joke thing that is not so obvious to those new to the brand.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Go to Linkedin and search for people with VP+ or executive titles at Stellantis or Jeep. Pepper them with emails and phone calls. FORM generally makes sense to me, even if the jeep is conservative in its use, but this issue seems clearly like a bad sensor or defect somewhere.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Went to pick up my Jeep from dealer after they said they had it fixed - scan showed no issues or faults but they reset and calibrated the BPCM (Battery Pack Control Module), PIM (Power Inverter Module) and the PCM (Powertrain Control Module).

Before I drove off and with the service manager and technician as witnesses, I then started my Jeep and pressed the Electric Mode button, where by the CHOC message appeared and the engine started. The service manager took a picture of the CHOC message and said he couldn't find anything in the database but would get back to me...

I drove home with the battery randomly being used despite it being over 70F outside.

Next time I contact Jeep Wave I'm going to ask if they have an alternate hybrid plan for the 4xe that includes sending me a gas card to offset going from filling up once a month to once a week.

·
Registered
8 Posts
@Ridgecrest2076 sorry about your issues. that must be super annoying.
It is - especially how impressed I was with the 4xe when I got it in April. I work in high tech/engineering and was expecting there to be some issues being an early adopter. Little did I know I should have punted on the oil change and software updates after 12,000 miles.

This error is obviously a logic error in the software. A developer hardwired some new limit with respect to some combination of coolant/oil temp/ambient temp and decided that it was inefficient (reduced mileage) to use the battery for cabin heating in cooling vs the engine. At nearly $5 per gallon for gas, I will make the decision on whether it's efficient or not to run on electric. Operating cost is more important than mileage.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Check out this vid, sounds like they have fix but it is backordered. This type of video is exactly why I love the Jeep community. Every Wrangler I have owned has had quirks and the community is always supportive and can usually find a creative solution. I don't understand the negative nellies that just come here to complain without trying to be helpful to others.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
920 Posts
Check out this vid, sounds like they have fix but it is backordered. This type of video is exactly why I love the Jeep community. Every Wrangler I have owned has had quirks and the community is always supportive and can usually find a creative solution. I don't understand the negative nellies that just come here to complain without trying to be helpful to others.

Thanks for posting that. And to the original video maker. My Jeep doesn’t do that when I start it in the garage. Similar temps to his, possibly colder. My just starts the electric. Now when I start it outside, it’s much colder, it does start with ICE. So I’m guessing my electric heater is functioning properly. For now😆 Probably just jinxed it…

·
Registered
8 Posts

thank's for posting the video and identifying the fault in the electric heater - I really appreciate it

·
Registered
5 Posts

This is great, but there was another guy who said he got out of this mode when they replaced his battery heater.

I fear there is more than one reason for the Jeep getting into this CHOC mode. It may be mechanical failure(s), sensor failure, or it may turn out to be software.

Some folks are unable to use Electric at all other than for a few minutes. Others (like me) can start in Electric when climate control is off. I drove about 20 miles in all electric the other day with no climate control. But the shortly after I turn on Climate control it throws that error and then the engine comes on. All I can say is it behaved very differently my first 7 months of ownership. Hoping it's software and they issue another RRT to address.

I'm going to keep calling @JeepCares about my case and repeatedly ask them to search the database for more of this problem. Maybe if we all list our case numbers we can refer to them when we talk to Jeep? I can't see why that is risky so here is mine - 81634086.

·
Registered
| 2012 JKU Sahara | 2021 4xe Sahara |
144 Posts
Some folks are unable to use Electric at all other than for a few minutes. Others (like me) can start in Electric when climate control is off. I drove about 20 miles in all electric the other day with no climate control. But the shortly after I turn on Climate control it throws that error and then the engine comes on. All I can say is it behaved very differently my first 7 months of ownership. Hoping it's software and they issue another RRT to address.
While out and about yesterday, I was playing with the climate on and off to see the difference. While turning climate on did activate the ICE, but once I turned it off, ICE also shut down—this was much later in the day after the vehicle has been operating a while to reach my lunch spot in e-save (by choice) then hybrid (also all by choice) after mainly city driving plus a bridge crossed that stayed electric at 88 kph / 55 mph and engine came on and off when passing vehicles.

On any given day, if the vehicle was left on hybrid at start, it seems to just burn battery for a while despite climate being ON.

After running errands, on hybrid, climate OFF:

Font Gauge Measuring instrument Display device Auto part

Then with climate ON in hybrid, ICE on:

Display device Measuring instrument Gauge Electronic device Multimedia

Then climate OFF, hybrid, ICE off:
Font Gauge Measuring instrument Display device Electronic device
Gadget Font Screenshot Display device Multimedia

It’s probably much warmer now where I’m at 6•c (~42•f) compared to where you are.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Warmer where you are at 42F? Actually I'm in California, been doing a lot of this at 70f lately.

But to further all our point...
Snow Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Back when the vehicle worked correctly I had it up in Tahoe covered in snow and the climate control worked great and I had a ton of fun wheeling in the snow on all electric!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
This just started happening to me. So, TL;DW on the video above - sounds like the electric heater for the cabin breaks and the 4xE starts running the engine to compensate? Hmm. I wonder why that doesn't throw a code...

61 - 80 of 132 Posts