Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 4XE for less than a month. a few days ago I started getting the message "Electric Mode Temporarily Unavailable. Fuel and Oil Refresh in Progress" and the gas engine takes over. It will not reset until it has sat for over 4 hours. Then once it returns to Electric Mode, the issue happens again when the hybrid mode decides I have requested more power. Remember I have had it for less than 4 weeks, it was delivered to me with half a tank of gas and I have had to fill it once. Now has less than have a tank of gas, 886 km's travelled and the dealer is telling me the problem is Stale gas and I have to burn the tank before it resets. and I quote "If the vehicle enters Fuel and Oil Refresh Mode, due to fuel which has been in the fuel tank for a long period of time (becoming stale fuel), the engine will run whenever the vehicle is operational (no electric only operation) until the low fuel level warning is activated."

Gas can't be stale it isn't older than 2 weeks.

Kind of defeats the purpose of having a Hybrid. Anyone else seen or heard of this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Fuel and Oil Refresh Mode is an annoying "feature" of the Stellantis PHEVs. Google it or the abbreviation FORM for lots of discussions. It can be due to fuel or oil conditions. I'm guessing yours is in FORM because of an oil refresh not a fuel. Looks like you are in Canada and it seems like many people have seen their 4XEs go into FORM with the colder weather. Since the ICE engine typically starts and stops for relatively brief periods, it goes into FORM after some period to warm up the oil and "burn" out any fuel that has gotten into the oil. Best way to clear an oil refresh is to warm engine up in idle until temp is 200F or greater and then drive it for a while. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Fuel and Oil Refresh Mode is an annoying "feature" of the Stellantis PHEVs. Google it or the abbreviation FORM for lots of discussions. It can be due to fuel or oil conditions. I'm guessing yours is in FORM because of an oil refresh not a fuel. Looks like you are in Canada and it seems like many people have seen their 4XEs go into FORM with the colder weather. Since the ICE engine typically starts and stops for relatively brief periods, it goes into FORM after some period to warm up the oil and "burn" out any fuel that has gotten into the oil. Best way to clear an oil refresh is to warm engine up in idle until temp is 200F or greater and then drive it for a while. Good luck!
Thanks for your feed back. I am trying to understand this issue as the engine has been used quite frequently and my present problem is that the Electric mode will not engage and I was told I wouldn't get the E mode back until I run through the half tank of gas I have left. Still confuses me as after 800km's (500 miles) I have used 15% of my oil life so obviously the engine has been running and not sitting around. With the dealer now but I do not see a reasonable solution to the problem. Defeats the purpose of a hybrid

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks for your feed back. I am trying to understand this issue as the engine has been used quite frequently and my present problem is that the Electric mode will not engage and I was told I wouldn't get the E mode back until I run through the half tank of gas I have left. Still confuses me as after 800km's (500 miles) I have used 15% of my oil life so obviously the engine has been running and not sitting around. With the dealer now but I do not see a reasonable solution to the problem. Defeats the purpose of a hybrid
The fuel refresh will be until the low fuel warning indicator or if you add more then 4 gallons of fuel.....so you may not have to drive till the tank is empty. If its the oil refresh, it appears that is a bit more difficult to clear especially in the cold.....you'll need to keep the engine temp above 205 F for 20+ minutes. Some have been able to just let it idle, some have run in manual mode 5th gear on the highway, or off road low range. HTH

·
Registered
18 Posts
I used to have a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV at 7000 ft in Utah with a similar functionality but I never saw the engine burn through gas. We started out going 1000 miles on one tank of fuel. The engine should not kick on like you are experiencing unless the 4xe software is really that bad. I think something is wrong with your vehicle but this sounds like something they will need to call into FCA engineering to resolve. Dealer won't be able to figure it out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used to have a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV at 7000 ft in Utah with a similar functionality but I never saw the engine burn through gas. We started out going 1000 miles on one tank of fuel. The engine should not kick on like you are experiencing unless the 4xe software is really that bad. I think something is wrong with your vehicle but this sounds like something they will need to call into FCA engineering to resolve. Dealer won't be able to figure it out.
Thanks for the feedback

1 - 6 of 6 Posts