Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
121 - 140 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just as an aside. To this day, Apple has a bad reputation in some tech circles in part for the handling of the iPhone antenna issue. "holding it wrong" has become part of the vocabulary. Stellantis might think that ignoring this is acceptable but I'm willing to be that a large portion of 4xE buyers are first time buyers and this will poison the brand in their eyes if it's not addressed, as it should be, by admitting there's a problem and taking steps to address it, whether that be some sort of recall or software update. They ignore customer feedback at their peril.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Agreed. It says 20 minutes when fully warm.
I drove for over an hour and couldn't reach the supposed target temp (100C). "Fully warm", whatever that means, just is not going to happen in a lot of places. Again. You're not doing Stellantis any favors. Is @JeepCares around? I'd like an actual, official, response on this.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I drove for over an hour and couldn't reach the supposed target temp (100C).
I'm not trying to do anyone any favors. I'm trying to highlight what is actually going on and what you can do about it today.
And like she has already stated: THAT DIDN'T WORK. Leave the lady alone, you are not helping whatsoever.

·
Registered
887 Posts
she has already stated THAT DIDN'T WORK
No, she didn't, at least not after breaking down what is really occurring.

Despite saying that she drove for 20 minutes, she wasn't able to meet the requirements because she couldn't get to temperature, not that meeting the requirements didn't satisfy form. That's why I gave an immediately available solution to actually get to temperature.

Further, going to the dealer/stellantis and saying "my jeep doesn't work because I have satisfied form, but the software won't register it" points down a different troubleshooting path than "I can't satisfy form because I can't get to temperature during normal operating conditions".

If the goal here is to get to the point where the issue is resolved, properly identifying and addressing the problem is important.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Like I said, no help whatsoever. Your giant text obnoxious post above spells out the conditions. She met them and well exceeded them and it did not work.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you're not getting it fully warm, driving around isn't going to address the problem
If the oil is not getting fully up to temperature, it isn't fully warm
You realize "fully warm" is 100C, right. So I need to not only reach that temperature but hold it for 20 minutes? Is that about right @JeepCares? Otherwise this very nice PHEV cannot be used as a PHEV. It's stuck in what seems to be e-save. It's not even preferring the battery like "hybrid" normally does. As a result the gas mileage is abysmal. Manages to actually be worse than a normal Wrangler since it's hauling around a battery. This is a defect and should be addressed as such.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
920 Posts
Like I said, no help whatsoever. Your giant text obnoxious post above spells out the conditions. She met them and well exceeded them and it did not work.
He’s telling MAT what to do to get it out of FORM. Completely helpful.
You realize "fully warm" is 100C, right. So I need to not only reach that temperature but hold it for 20 minutes? Is that about right @JeepCares? Otherwise this very nice PHEV cannot be used as a PHEV. It's stuck in what seems to be e-save. It's not even preferring the battery like "hybrid" normally does. As a result the gas mileage is abysmal. Manages to actually be worse than a normal Wrangler since it's hauling around a battery. This is a defect and should be addressed as such.
You gotta let it idle with the climate system off after warming it fully. So for me in cold temps, warming it fully is ~170-180. Then needs to idle at ~208ish for about 20 min to burn fuel off the oil. It’s really simple.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Jeep has been very clear about FORM. The vehicle is always a hybrid regardless of the drive mode being used.

View attachment 3598
The fuel refresh will be until the low fuel warning indicator or if you add more then 4 gallons of fuel.....so you may not have to drive till the tank is empty. If its the oil refresh, it appears that is a bit more difficult to clear especially in the cold.....you'll need to keep the engine temp above 205 F for 20+ minutes. Some have been able to just let it idle, some have run in manual mode 5th gear on the highway, or off road low range. HTH
I'm having the exact same issue. Had the Jeep less then a month and got it when temp was cold outside. First tank of gas I was able to switch between electric mode and hybrid mode without issue. Worked perfectly. I'm on my second tank now and after a total of 56km in electric mode it will no longer engage the battery. It's been a full week now. I've left it running for a full hour and it will not switch over to electric mode. I've added fresh gas... no change. Took it to the dealer yesterday and they have opened a case with engineering. This is my SECOND 4xe as I had this exact same issue with my previous Jeep for 6 weeks before the dealer took it back and put me into a new one. SO FRUSTRATING as I otherwise absolutely love it!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I just heard from my dealership - engineering is stating that when in FORM "the gas engine may run 60-80 minutes once the engine temp has reached 180 degrees in orer to burn off raw hyrdrcarbons. If while in FORM the engine does not reach this temp or the timer does not reach 60-80 mins the engine will be running more than normal"

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm having the exact same issue. Had the Jeep less then a month and got it when temp was cold outside. First tank of gas I was able to switch between electric mode and hybrid mode without issue. Worked perfectly. I'm on my second tank now and after a total of 56km in electric mode it will no longer engage the battery. It's been a full week now. I've left it running for a full hour and it will not switch over to electric mode. I've added fresh gas... no change. Took it to the dealer yesterday and they have opened a case with engineering. This is my SECOND 4xe as I had this exact same issue with my previous Jeep for 6 weeks before the dealer took it back and put me into a new one. SO FRUSTRATING as I otherwise absolutely love it!!
So I just heard from my dealership - engineering is stating that when in FORM "the gas engine may run 60-80 minutes once the engine temp has reached 180 degrees in orer to burn off raw hyrdrcarbons. If while in FORM the engine does not reach this temp or the timer does not reach 60-80 mins the engine will be running more than normal"

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I just heard from my dealership - engineering is stating that when in FORM "the gas engine may run 60-80 minutes once the engine temp has reached 180 degrees in orer to burn off raw hyrdrcarbons. If while in FORM the engine does not reach this temp or the timer does not reach 60-80 mins the engine will be running more than normal" - I'm told turning off the climate control will help satisfy these conditions quicker as well.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Jeep has been very clear about FORM. The vehicle is always a hybrid regardless of the drive mode being used.
I'm not sure Jeep has been clear enough, though. I have tried to do a ton of research online, but I still don't know if my car is acting as it's supposed to act.

It's been around 40 days since last fill up. I've gone about 1350 miles, one this tank, with only 85 or so on the ICE. So, I've been waiting for the FORM to come on.

Yesterday morning, garage was 50F, outside was 7F. Car ran in electric mode for about a mile and a half, but as soon as I switched on the heat, the car switched over to FORM and stayed that way for the rest of my commute (about 11 more miles). When I left work, it was about 10F outside, car was parked on street, not plugged in, car started in FORM. After driving for about 20 minutes in FORM, I stopped and restarted the car, and it stayed in electric the rest of the way home. Reported oil temp never got above 190.

This morning, outside temps were around 20F, car started in electric in the garage, but after about 5 miles, it switched back over to FORM and stayed that way until I got to work (another 8 miles or so).

Is this how it's supposed to work? I was expecting the FORM yesterday, but I did not expect it today.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
920 Posts
I'm not sure Jeep has been clear enough, though. I have tried to do a ton of research online, but I still don't know if my car is acting as it's supposed to act.

It's been around 40 days since last fill up. I've gone about 1350 miles, one this tank, with only 85 or so on the ICE. So, I've been waiting for the FORM to come on.

Yesterday morning, garage was 50F, outside was 7F. Car ran in electric mode for about a mile and a half, but as soon as I switched on the heat, the car switched over to FORM and stayed that way for the rest of my commute (about 11 more miles). When I left work, it was about 10F outside, car was parked on street, not plugged in, car started in FORM. After driving for about 20 minutes in FORM, I stopped and restarted the car, and it stayed in electric the rest of the way home. Reported oil temp never got above 190.

This morning, outside temps were around 20F, car started in electric in the garage, but after about 5 miles, it switched back over to FORM and stayed that way until I got to work (another 8 miles or so).

Is this how it's supposed to work? I was expecting the FORM yesterday, but I did not expect it today.
No, you need to get it out of FORM. You’re just gonna burn gas from now on until you get the oil temp up to above ~208 for 20 min.

·
Registered
114 Posts
No, you need to get it out of FORM. You’re just gonna burn gas from now on until you get the oil temp up to above ~208 for 20 min.
Thank you. What I’m confused about is that my car came out of FORM yesterday after 20 minutes of oil temps no higher than 190, went back to FORM this morning. And came out of FORM this afternoon after not sure how long, but, again, oil temp no higher than 190, and I think it was only in the 170s.

I know I am one of the lucky ones (at least so far), so I have zero complaints, it’s just that I’d like to really understand what the car is supposed to be doing and what it actually is doing. And, I definitely do not understand.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Thank you. What I’m confused about is that my car came out of FORM yesterday after 20 minutes of oil temps no higher than 190, went back to FORM this morning. And came out of FORM this afternoon after not sure how long, but, again, oil temp no higher than 190, and I think it was only in the 170s.

I know I am one of the lucky ones (at least so far), so I have zero complaints, it’s just that I’d like to really understand what the car is supposed to be doing and what it actually is doing. And, I definitely do not understand.
There's be some threshold for time/temp that you keep tap dancing along

·
Registered
114 Posts
There's be some threshold for time/temp that you keep tap dancing along
Yes! And I think everyone here would love to know what that threshold is, so they can see for themselves whether their 4xe is behaving as it should.

But we don't know what the threshold is, and that was my original point -- that Jeep hasn't been clear enough about this. There's tons of speculation and, I'm sure, misinformation, but no one really knows, and Jeep hasn't told us.

If it's frustrating to me, with a 4xe that hasn't had any major problems and seems to be doing what it should, I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to everyone whose 4xe isn't working properly.

My overall experience with Jeep and the 4xe has been overwhelmingly positive, but the lack of transparency on something like this is not cool.

Edit: And, if the answer is that it's crazy complicated with 47 variables and tons of complex math, then Jeep should just say so. We're all adults here, we'll understand.

121 - 140 of 203 Posts