Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
141 - 160 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Running the engine for 2.5 hours?! That sounds insanely excessive. Often I wouldn’t run the engine for 2.5 hours in an entire week, combined.

I can’t imagine anyone would want to have their Jeep running for 2.5 hours, even if idling in their driveway. Would the Jeep even run that long without some kind of safety shut off?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Running the engine for 2.5 hours?! That sounds insanely excessive. Often I wouldn’t run the engine for 2.5 hours in an entire week, combined.

I can’t imagine anyone would want to have their Jeep running for 2.5 hours, even if idling in their driveway. Would the Jeep even run that long without some kind of safety shut off?
Hopefully it'll add up consecutive drives. That or they just put a high number so people will stop asking them.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I thought one of the selling points of the 4xe in Europe was that it would comply with cities like Paris and London that are implementing some electric vehicle only streets.
"Sorry officer, I'm in FORM?"

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes! And I think everyone here would love to know what that threshold is, so they can see for themselves whether their 4xe is behaving as it should.

But we don't know what the threshold is, and that was my original point -- that Jeep hasn't been clear enough about this. There's tons of speculation and, I'm sure, misinformation, but no one really knows, and Jeep hasn't told us.

If it's frustrating to me, with a 4xe that hasn't had any major problems and seems to be doing what it should, I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to everyone whose 4xe isn't working properly.

My overall experience with Jeep and the 4xe has been overwhelmingly positive, but the lack of transparency on something like this is not cool.

Edit: And, if the answer is that it's crazy complicated with 47 variables and tons of complex math, then Jeep should just say so. We're all adults here, we'll understand.
I am having major issues with getting out of FORM mode. I saw the report from Engineering that was sent to my dealer and it states: "The engine oil must reach 180 degrees for up to 60-80mins in order to burn off excess hydrocarbons before exitting FORM mode. I drove it for 120 mins last night with an average temp of 190 and still stuck in FORM mode. Dropping it off at the dealer again this am.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
920 Posts
I am having major issues with getting out of FORM mode. I saw the report from Engineering that was sent to my dealer and it states: "The engine oil must reach 180 degrees for up to 60-80mins in order to burn off excess hydrocarbons before exitting FORM mode. I drove it for 120 mins last night with an average temp of 190 and still stuck in FORM mode. Dropping it off at the dealer again this am.
You gotta be ~208-210 for 20 min and it will exit FORM. Let it idle without climate system on. Get engine warmed up good by driving and to engage the ICE and FORM mode, then keep it in hybrid mode and let it idle. Oil temp should rise. Watch it on off-road app or dash cluster. If the Jeep completely shuts off, it didn’t run long enough and you must do it again. If the engine shuts off and the Jeep stays on with electric, you have exited FORM. Do in the garage if you have one. Door open of course! Or anywhere out of the elements will help with engine heat.

Edit: This will work! Guaranteed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You gotta be ~208-210 for 20 min and it will exit FORM. Let it idle without climate system on. Get engine warmed up good by driving and to engage the ICE and FORM mode, then keep it in hybrid mode and let it idle. Oil temp should rise. Watch it on off-road app or dash cluster. If the Jeep completely shuts off, it didn’t run long enough and you must do it again. If the engine shuts off and the Jeep stays on with electric, you have exited FORM. Do in the garage if you have one. Door open of course! Or anywhere out of the elements will help with engine heat.

Edit: This will work! Guaranteed.
210??? I ran it for 2 hours last night (with climate off) and the highest it (oil temp) got was 195...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Odd that Chrysler engineering stated 180 ??? And regardless this is rediculous and defeats the entire purpose of owning it. Where I live it can be cold 4-6 months of the year!! I will be returning it if that is actually the case. Will update once I hear back from the dealership.... so frustrating... absolutely love this Jeep.

·
Registered
88 Posts
At what temp does gas evaporate out of the oil? It should be set for that temperature or slightly above if it's much lower than 210.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
920 Posts
Depends on the concentration, formulation, pressure in the crankcase, etc.

It's far from near as simple as a specific temperature.
My ~208-210 number came from the guy who figured this out in the Pacifica thread I read.

·
Registered
120 Posts
this is rediculous and defeats the entire purpose of owning it.
It seems Stellantis was more concerned with performance. It defaults to hybrid fora reason. I think they didn't expect it to be as popular as it has been with the other side of the cultural divide who will press "electric" almost every single time after the on button. Their intended purpose and many buyer's intended purposes clearly do not align.

I will be returning it if that is actually the case. Will update once I hear back from the dealership.... so frustrating... absolutely love this Jeep.
Me too, but I don't blame you either. If @JeepCares is not going to give a respons and Stellantis is not talking to the dealership, then there isn't a lot to do. You could wait, but then you might not be able to return it. I probably won't since this is only a problem with (relatively infrequent) sub-zero temperatures, but I do worry about resale value if this continues to be an issue. Unlike other PHEVs, this seems to dominate the forums' top threads and if I were looking to buy a new vehicle and came across these, I might think twice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Maybe they shouldn’t have included the separate buttons, it would have at least set the expectations better. Mark it as a hybrid always (which it is), and inform customers it will run on electric first in 99% of situations (which it does) and then note that sometimes it can’t run the battery if it’s too cold. That would at least be a more honest marketing, as opposed to providing a button people can’t use for up to 3-5 months a year (depending on location)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Maybe they shouldn’t have included the separate buttons
Or maybe they could see the writing on the wall and build new Wrangler platform around a battery like other companies are doing. If it's possible to make a Hummer launch to 60 in 3 seconds with 300 mile range it's possible with a Wrangler as well. The solution here is not to burn more gas. The solution is to get serious about EV technology or get left behind.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Odd that Chrysler engineering stated 180 ??? And regardless this is rediculous and defeats the entire purpose of owning it. Where I live it can be cold 4-6 months of the year!! I will be returning it if that is actually the case. Will update once I hear back from the dealership.... so frustrating... absolutely love this Jeep.
So the dealer drove it for an hour and that worked, Electric mode is working again.... they say 180 is the magic number and it needed to be a continuous drive for 50-60 mins. I still dont get how this works as it constantly switches from Electric mode to FORM mode, sometimes briefly and other times you need to run the engine for an hour????? How the hell are you supposed to know??? FRUSTRATING

·
Registered
120 Posts
Based on the magneto concept
No, it looks like they took a stock 2 door Wrangler and stuffed some batteries where they would fit. Not the same thing at all. Smacks of the minimum possible effort where electric is an afterthought. Which isn't to say I wouldn't buy one, but if the range isn't great, it's gonna be a hard sell. Reason Husband an I got a PHEV was range anxiety. That starts to go away at around 300 miles with fast charging available. I don't think it'll do that without redesigning pretty much everything as other companies have done.

141 - 160 of 203 Posts