Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
161 - 180 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
I still dont get how this works as it constantly switches from Electric mode to FORM mode, sometimes briefly and other times you need to run the engine for an hour?????
My American .02 is that if the behavior is not as described in the manual you should channel you inner Karen until the issue is fixed. I work in software engineering. If code behavior differs from the documentation, that's a bug and should be caught by automated tests. Same concept here. Keep taking it back. Keep reporting their responses online. Keep contacting regulators/politicians. Keep making your frustration know until Stellantis takes this seriously.

·
Registered
120 Posts
the actual implementation is going to be on the stla frame architecture.
If that's the case I'll probably trade in this 4xE when they release it. Husband wanted to wait as well but the old Honda kicked the bucket early. His concerns were (rightly) that the 4xE is a first generation and there will be issues. I'm not surprised at all about the FORM mode or the myriad software issues. I drove a rented JL to Alaska and back in 2019. I already knew UConnect was a turd and the windshield cracks if you look at it wrong, but the vehicle as a whole makes it totally worth it.

Crawling over stuff and making puddles go boom is super fun. Likewise being able to customize things. The Wrangler is practically made of legos. A new platform built around a battery and Amazon handling the software end sounds like Stellantis is heading in the right direction. I just hope they don't drop the ball. They're already behind and playing catch-up isn't easy.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Or maybe they could see the writing on the wall and build new Wrangler platform around a battery like other companies are doing. If it's possible to make a Hummer launch to 60 in 3 seconds with 300 mile range it's possible with a Wrangler as well. The solution here is not to burn more gas. The solution is to get serious about EV technology or get left behind.
They have already announced a full electric Wrangler by 2025. The have also said this vehicle was designed to be an off road capable Wrangler first and a phev second.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
920 Posts
So the dealer drove it for an hour and that worked, Electric mode is working again.... they say 180 is the magic number and it needed to be a continuous drive for 50-60 mins. I still dont get how this works as it constantly switches from Electric mode to FORM mode, sometimes briefly and other times you need to run the engine for an hour????? How the hell are you supposed to know??? FRUSTRATING
No way… They don’t know what they’re talking about. ~180 seems too low to exit FORM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Same boat here in Manitoba. It’s like -20 to -30 Celsius for the foreseeable future. I only get electric if it’s below -11. Also when it’s in hybrid it doesn’t seem like it’s using the electric engine properly. I’m getting 17 L per hundred kilometers! That is outrageous!
Hi
I'm in Winnipeg and have had a 4xe for 4 days. I had similar problems until i figured that the issue seems to be using the remote start. Try not using the remote start and once you manually start the jeep, select electric mode, wait for engine to turn off. Then turn on the heating system, etc.. The engine shouldn't turn on. Hot air come out in a minute or so.

·
Registered
848 Posts
@msarazin what you are describing is exactly the way it was designed.

Cold Weather Operation of the Wrangler 4xe

Remote start and regular button start will both work, with an EVSE plugged in. That’s a great way to warm the battery and the cabin using energy from the wall. The Jeep will not shift out of Park until you remove the charge handle, to prevent accidentally driving off while plugged in. The plug icon in the cluster gives you a heads up.

You might see Fuel/Oil Refresh more frequently in cold weather. That’s because short engine runtimes in cold temperatures are most conducive to fuel dilution into the engine oil. If this happens, the solution is to get the engine warm and keep it running for up to an hour and a half to evaporate the fuel out of the oil… or change the engine oil.

Here’s what to expect as mornings get colder. All of this logic is true, whether an EVSE is plugged in or not:

Above ~32°F, and with sufficient battery and fuel, the vehicle will usually power up silently (ICE not running). The exception is if you have a very high HVAC demand.

Below 32°F but above 10°F, the ICE engine will also run at startup. You can select Electric mode to shut it off, relying instead on the electric heaters. There will be a range penalty. If you use remote start in a cold garage, take note exhaust will be emitted.

Below 10°F, the engine will always run until various systems are up to operating temperature. Electric mode will be unavailable during warmup. At these temperatures, the electric heater really isn’t an efficient way to heat the cabin, and your EV range would be greatly reduced by that anyway. The same is true of BEV’s, but they don’t have an ICE to help.

If it’s below ~5°F outside when you shut down, the instrument cluster will advise you to plug in an EVSE to maintain battery temperature. This is only strictly necessary in case the battery temp falls below -20°F overnight. Level 1 or Level 2 are suitable.

All the way down to -20°F, the Jeep can start unassisted (without an EVSE connected). This is the same capability as other Wranglers and most ICE vehicles.

If outside temperature is likely to fall below -20°F, you definitely want to connect an EVSE overnight. The Jeep will wake up periodically and warm and circulate coolant to facilitate a restart. It’s not necessary to also connect a block heater.

With an EVSE connected, the Jeep can start as low as -40°F. This is the same performance a other Wranglers and the best production ICE vehicles - they require block heaters in these temperatures.

Happy Snow-Jeeping! 🙂

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have to say, I'm very impressed with this Jeep..it's the best of both worlds! Electric for the city and peace or mind gas operations for the long distances on the prairies. My rough calculations is showing a pay back of about 2.5 years for the additional cost of the EV option. Jeep could probably make the operators manual a little more easier to understand, but that's what we have brains for.
Thanks

·
Registered
120 Posts
showing a pay back of about 2.5 years for the additional cost of the EV option
It is a fantastic vehicle. Easily the favorite out of anything I've ever owned. If you live in the city and are always charging, you use almost no gas unless you go on long trips. Totally worth it -- as long as you accept that in the cold electric mode just doesn't seem to work for many people and, as such, your gas mileage will tank in the winter. The operator's manual does not state this, clearly or otherwise. The behavior described on page 38 in the manual says it turns on in response to stale fuel and/or oil. On this board there are reports of it happening with brand new vehicles, after a fill up, or even at 97% oil life directly after an oil change. There is something wrong.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It is a fantastic vehicle. Easily the favorite out of anything I've ever owned. If you live in the city and are always charging, you use almost no gas unless you go on long trips. Totally worth it -- as long as you accept that in the cold electric mode just doesn't seem to work for many people and, as such, your gas mileage will tank in the winter. The operator's manual does not state this, clearly or otherwise. The behavior described on page 38 in the manual says it turns on in response to stale fuel and/or oil. On this board there are reports of it happening with brand new vehicles, after a fill up, or even at 97% oil life directly after an oil change. There is something wrong.
I haven't experienced that situation yet, but given my mechanical background, engines need to "run rich" in cold weather starts, so it make sense to me that there will be an occasion where the engine would need to run to burn off the build up of fuel in the oil. Regardless, this is probably the best vehicle in it's class for it's capabilities. Living on the prairies, there are many occasions when the Wrangles TRUE 4 x 4 capabilities are used winter and summer. But I do see a big learning curve with this type of vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am having this issue with the electric mode unavailable. At first it was with the oil refresh alert but now the electric mode is never available. It has been almost 4 freaking weeks and 3 tanks of gas. I drive it every day. It have been pretty cold but today it was 41 and the ICE never shut off even when stopped at a light in hybrid, which it used to do. This all started immediately after I used the remote start feature and the ICE will not stop. I am calling the dealership Monday. I am seriously frustrated bc I have had non stop issues with the power top and now this.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
920 Posts
I am having this issue with the electric mode unavailable. At first it was with the oil refresh alert but now the electric mode is never available. It has been almost 4 freaking weeks and 3 tanks of gas. I drive it every day. It have been pretty cold but today it was 41 and the ICE never shut off even when stopped at a light in hybrid, which it used to do. This all started immediately after I used the remote start feature and the ICE will not stop. I am calling the dealership Monday. I am seriously frustrated bc I have had non stop issues with the power top and now this.
Sounds like it’s in FORM for oil refresh. First FORM alert was probably for fuel refresh.
It will continue to revert to ICE until you satisfy the FORM requirements of running the ICE for 20 min with oil temp at 205-210. I’m just guessing though. Are you not seeing a FORM message?? Do you ever start with electric and go fast enough to need ICE to turn on, then it doesn’t shut off for that trip? Explain exactly what’s happening.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I haven't received any type of message for 2.5 weeks. The 2.5 has included multiple trips of 30 min plus drives and 2 tanks of gas. My jeep has automatically started in ICE and never switches off. I only get the message of Electic Mode TU when I push the button for it. The first time I got the FORM it lasted about a week and I got a new tank of gas and it cleared. I was able to run straight electric 2x then that option completely locked out.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
920 Posts
I haven't received any type of message for 2.5 weeks. The 2.5 has included multiple trips of 30 min plus drives and 2 tanks of gas. My jeep has automatically started in ICE and never switches off. I only get the message of Electic Mode TU when I push the button for it. The first time I got the FORM it lasted about a week and I got a new tank of gas and it cleared. I was able to run straight electric 2x then that option completely locked out.
Yeah, that’s fuel refresh. It could just be too cold for electric when you want it. Not sure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Didn't use the remote start and did a manual start with it plugged in and it is fine now. We will see how long it lasts.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The issue seems to be leaving form require reaching a certain target temperature only @JeepCares knows and holding it there for about 20 minutes. Issue is reaching that temperature seems to be effectively impossible in some places in some conditions. The Jeep is designed to have good cooling under normal conditions, and if the temperature outside is cold, it's often not possible to leave FORM. I get that it's protecting the vehicle from cold starts, and I'm not a mechanic or anything so please correct me @Mllcb42 if I'm wrong but doesn't running things on all electric warm things up?

I don't get why electric is disabled when it seems to me that if you can drive around without using the gas engine at all that would be preferable to starting it frequently? Just let us bypass FORM. Or add a heater and let us warm it up electrically when plugged in. Canadians have been doing this for ages with block heaters yet a 60k luxury crawler can't? My husband and I didn't buy this vehicle to give money to terrorists and religious fanatics. We intended exactly the opposite. We use gas only when we have to. This is your market now, Stellantis. Get used to it.

161 - 180 of 203 Posts