Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there is a top speed limit to Electric Only mode? Prior to taking my vehicle in for service for the battery coolant pump I could easily run 75mph in Electric only mode for 15 miles or so. Now if I creep really slowly I can get it to about 63mph and no faster before the ICE kicks on. The power gauge is only at 35-40% at that speed. This is straight roads and no head wind.
How fast and how far can your 4xe go before the ICE kicks in?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hmm, pretty sure there isn't any set speed limit, I've done 75+ on electric. Sometimes even in hybrid mode after going down a steep hill then up again on the highway with battery left. Maybe it's a thermal limit thing (hot battery -> use engine power)?

This is a stretch, but the service may have reset computer learning since they likely disconnected the 12v battery. Maybe there's a learning algorithm for when to start the engine and electric mode isn't as forceful as I think.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya, I'm worried that high temp might be the issue for the ICE demand so early with what appears to be a reasonable load (35-40%). Especially with having the battery coolant pump issues. I'll try monitoring battery kw's tomorrow and see if that sheds any light.

Anyone know if there is a specific battery kw limit that invokes the ICE to turn on?

If anyone knows how to monitor battery coolant temp, I would really appreciate being able to do that.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well, the power limit of the motor itself is 100kW or so. I can hit that not-quite-flooring-it in electric mode, right before the engine starts. I wish I had more to say, but without detailed info I'm just speculating on how these things work...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Experiencing similar for me and noticing it more in higher temperatures. I’ve noticed the battery power gauge not even at 100% when the ICE kicks on and I get an message saying “electric mode currently unavailable” then a few mins later flips back to electric mode. It feels as if I’m losing power in electric mode before the ICE turns on as well

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Nathan
Thanks for the reply and the numbers. Much appreciated.

@Mattslocy
Thanks also. For me if I take off from a stop and it passes 50% the engine always starts. I think it's teaching me once again to be conservative on the pedal.

So today on the highway I never saw the battery go past an 80kw load. 65kw was my pretty consistent battery load before the engine assisted. I was able to do 73mph today but only for about 1 1/2 miles. Then it defaulted to hybrid and kicked on the ICE. Combined they shared the load 25kw battery, +40kw engine. After that initial run it's still wont go any faster than 60-65mph without the engine. This isn't a complaint, just trying to gauge my 4xe to others.

Do you guys have Rubicon's by chance?
Tire size?
Wondering if its gear ratio related? I can "feel" in the throttle pedal about the point that I'm maxing the effort of the electric motor and the current transmission gear. Let it slowly creep up in speed and I get that 65mph. Push on it just a tad more, and engine starts.

That Hybrid Page is a pretty awesome design. Just wish battery temp was included there or in the Off Road page.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeah, stock Rubicon for me. I'm up in CO, so it's hot right now but not very humid and there's less air to push out of the way. I do wish we had more technical info on these cars in general.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Something definetly not right - I run 75+ until the charge drops to 30% or so - once it is that low then yes you can feel the lack of acceleration and the ICE will kick in easier

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just ran mine. When you are in electric only it limits you to 80mph. When you floor it the engine comes on and you can go above 80.

I even tried setting the automatic cruise control above 80 and it would not.

it was 91 outside and the battery was expelling 82

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@combs1945 and @lilred7879
Thanks for the info and for doing some self testing. Much appreciated. When I did the first test drive off the dealer lot it operated just like you guys are describing - 75mph easy on the battery. Now it seems it wants to kick in the engine all the time.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not sure what is going on with my 4xe. Ever since getting it back from the dealer for the failed battery coolant pumps it just isn't the same.
Two tests today show that I can only go 14.5 miles at 60 mph on a full battery charge in Electric Mode, during which I keep getting "Electric Mode Temporarily Unavailable" and it kicks on the ICE and defaults to Hybrid Mode for a couple minutes. Eventually I am able to select Electric Mode again, but only for a few more miles then kicks back to Hybrid Mode with the error message again. I think the battery system is getting too hot. I also found that my regenerative braking completely failed to perform any braking for me in the middle of the test drive when I needed to stop and turn around at the end of the road.
Full details here if interested:

·
Registered
| 2012 JKU Sahara | 2021 4xe Sahara |
70 Posts
Not sure what is going on with my 4xe. Ever since getting it back from the dealer for the failed battery coolant pumps it just isn't the same.
Two tests today show that I can only go 14.5 miles at 60 mph on a full battery charge in Electric Mode, during which I keep getting "Electric Mode Temporarily Unavailable" and it kicks on the ICE and defaults to Hybrid Mode for a couple minutes. Eventually I am able to select Electric Mode again, but only for a few more miles then kicks back to Hybrid Mode with the error message again. I think the battery system is getting too hot. I also found that my regenerative braking completely failed to perform any braking for me in the middle of the test drive when I needed to stop and turn around at the end of the road.
If I were you, I’d just quickly sell the vehicle off to Carvana or any of those used car resellers while their offer is still good before mass recalls happen or anything else that may diminish the 4xe resale value further. There will not likely be a fix for your problem unless it eventually pops a code.

Afterwards, either risk another wrangler with potentially the same factory and service issues or go safe with a Japanese manufacturer... or a Tesla. Wait a few more years before considering another Jeep. I’d likely go this route myself if caught in the same situation as yours, especially since I still have my reliable ‘12 JKU, so I can afford to relax and see how far this PHEV can go and then move on when and if it doesn’t. Original plan was to only keep the 4xe for 3-5 years then trade up to the next PHEV or BEV wrangler.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hey, 4xeRubicon. If you decide to return to the dealer for additional diagnosis of this concern, please feel free to let us know and we can provide you support while there.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Reactions: 4xeRubicon

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@Turtles
Very interesting post with some good suggestions. Thank you for that. We love our 2010 Toyota Tundra and my dad loves his Tesla Model X, and sadly I keep my 2008 JKU 1,200 miles away currently. I miss it... alot.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@JeepCares
Thank you for reaching out. Your interaction and support system is appreciated. Our Jeep Cares advisor contacted us today to discuss some potential solutions and updated the case notes regarding the ongoing and still unresolved issues with this vehicle and added a new one from this weekend that the passenger side rear seat can no longer be folded down.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Using JScan, I just figured out that Electric Motor "B" is reaching 330 degrees F and seems to be causing the message "Electric Mode Temporarily Unavailable". Once that motor cools off to <290 F, it can use Electric Mode again. Hmmm. Any FCA 4xe engineers on here that can tell me if that Electric Motor "B" min/max temperature range is normal and if Electric Motor "B" is P1F or P2?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts