Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I should preface this thread to say that I don't really know much (if at all) about electrical wiring and chargers.

I installed a Juicebox at my house plugged into a 240v outlet. Charging is all good, and an electrician (albeit a cheaper one) installed it for me. At first, the Juicebox was able to connect via Wi-fi and I was able to track when it was charging, the kwh used, and etc. Now I can't get the Juicebox to connect via wifi so the app is basically useless to me.

My question becomes that over the past few months, my electricity bill skyrocketed - about 2-3x the normal price. Is it possible that it was installed incorrectly and whether or not the plug is plugged into the Jeep or not, that it is just continuing to draw electricity somehow? I know the Jeep will stop taking charge once it reaches 100%, so I'm trying to think what else would be causing this huge hike in price/electricity used.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but would really appreciate help from anyone!

·
Registered
2021 Sahara 4xe
133 Posts
Are you on a time of use plan where before maybe it was always charging at night when the juicebox worked properly and now it's charging in the middle of the day when you get home and plug-in at a higher rate?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's very possible. I am going to jump on a call with Juicebox support to figure out how I can get the WiFi to connect properly so I can better monitor it and set specific times. Even so, my electricity bill is showing that of the course of 3 weeks, There was a total of 1400 kWh used (~300kWh Peak Charge, ~1100 off peak charge). I live in a 3 BR house with only myself and my domestic partner. We dont use very much electricity so I dont know why this is the case...

·
Registered
2022 Rubicon 4xe (Ordered)
90 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I should preface this thread to say that I don't really know much (if at all) about electrical wiring and chargers.

I installed a Juicebox at my house plugged into a 240v outlet. Charging is all good, and an electrician (albeit a cheaper one) installed it for me. At first, the Juicebox was able to connect via Wi-fi and I was able to track when it was charging, the kwh used, and etc. Now I can't get the Juicebox to connect via wifi so the app is basically useless to me.

My question becomes that over the past few months, my electricity bill skyrocketed - about 2-3x the normal price. Is it possible that it was installed incorrectly and whether or not the plug is plugged into the Jeep or not, that it is just continuing to draw electricity somehow? I know the Jeep will stop taking charge once it reaches 100%, so I'm trying to think what else would be causing this huge hike in price/electricity used.

Get one of these and plug it in between the Juicebox and the outlet and you can track the power used

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it possible that the charger is leaking to the ground? Would that adapter show if it is?

·
Registered
887 Posts
It's very possible. I am going to jump on a call with Juicebox support to figure out how I can get the WiFi to connect properly so I can better monitor it and set specific times. Even so, my electricity bill is showing that of the course of 3 weeks, There was a total of 1400 kWh used (~300kWh Peak Charge, ~1100 off peak charge). I live in a 3 BR house with only myself and my domestic partner. We dont use very much electricity so I dont know why this is the case...
Look at a bill from before you got the 4xe (even better if it's from last year at this time) and compare.

What is your electricity rate and how much in $ has it gone up?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Get one of these and plug it in between the Juicebox and the outlet and you can track the power used

it seems that plug has a normal 110v socket, how would that work with a 240v plug and a diff socket?

·
Registered
12 Posts
When you say jumped 2 to 3 times, what are we talking here? Mine jumped about $20 to $30 for the first 2 bills after I got the level 2 charger installed..... For us, the off peak option is actually more expensive than the flat rate option so we just charge whenever.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Everyone,

As others have stated, more information is needed for a definitive answer.

Some questions/observations:
  • How often do you charge?
  • How many miles do you drive, on average, in a month?
  • How is your home heated? (If you are in a cold climate the heating load may be higher than usual)
  • Is the water heater gas or electric? (Again colder weather usually leads to longer/hotter baths/showers)
    If the WH is electric, where is it located? (In a non-conditioned space the WH can run longer due to heat loss to the colder environment)
  • Are you on City water or well? (A pressure tank exposed to colder temperatures will require the electric WH to run longer to heat the colder water, as well more heated water would be needed to mix with the colder water)

Now if you don't live in a cold climate or your heating appliances are not electric than none of these examples would apply.

You could possibly check on your power companies website to see if you can find some information on your KWH usage. I'm able to compare my usage between days, months and years, as well as seeing usage down to the hour. Some of that information may be helpful to you if it's available.
You may have some "vampire drain" if the EVSE is plugged into the house power even when not plugged into the vehicle especially if the unit is continually attempting to access a WiFi connection. This shouldn't account for a large increase in electric usage.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I charge my Jeep off of solar panels but did have to get more panels added after buying Jeep to get my electric bill back where it was before I bought Jeep.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I charge my Jeep off of solar panels but did have to get more panels added after buying Jeep to get my electric bill back where it was before I bought Jeep.
Think you could start a thread about your setup? This is something I think I'd like to pursue but am unsure of where to start

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I have to agree with everyone else. 2x-3x the normal price is very misleading. Did it go from $10 to $30. My electric rate is about 7 to 8 cents per KWh. I’m paying around $1.50 to fully charge my Jeep. Your electric rate and how much you charge your Jeep is the most important part to your question.

·
Registered
2021 Sahara 4xe
133 Posts
I live in a 3 BR house with only myself and my domestic partner. We dont use very much electricity so I dont know why this is the case...
Aloso make sure your partner didn’t start making Bitcoin or some such :D

·
Registered
154 Posts
I don't have a smart or wifi EVSE, so I don't know exactly how much my bill went up, but by estimating based or prior year billing I'm paying about 30ish to 40ish dollars more a month. I'm charging at least every night and sometimes on the weekends I have multiple charges, some partial charges.......some weekend days I'm plugged in but may not go anywhere. I'm in Utah so since its gotten cold I have been remote starting to get the Jeep warmed up, I'm at about 50/50 for electric to ICE starts, it hasn't been crazy cold here this winter, the Jeep is parked outside. Hope this helps.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts