Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yikes.

Check my history, this is not a new member signing up to complain. I've been here and remained very positive. We have one 4XE Sahara and another Rubicon on the way.

Sahara is currently on a road trip to Newfoundland, exactly the kind of trip the vehicle was purchased for. The Jeep already had a CEL on (4th time - all Evap leak, annoying but seemingly harmless) and has been diagnosed with bad ball joints which we were trying to get fixed before the trip but it couldn't happen (more concerning, but we were told it was safe to drive). 4800 miles on the clock.

Now this. Stopped for the night after a full day of driving and the following warning appear in the app while the Jeep is parked outside.

• Electronic Throttle Control
  • Malfunction Indicator
  • Low Oil Pressure warning

These are not the kind of warnings you want when you need to catch a ferry by a certain time in the morning.

Unclear at this moment if the Jeep will run in the AM. Anyone else have these warnings? If yes, what was your resolution? Closest Jeep dealer is 2.5 hours away in one direction, or a 7 hour ferry ride and another 4 hours in the other direction.

·
Registered
590 Posts
So did anything happen driving or it just all came through the app? Makes no sense you would get a delayed throttle control/oil pressure warning when parked.

I'd check fuses and the 12v battery. About all you can do at the moment anyway.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So did anything happen driving or it just all came through the app? Makes no sense you would get a delayed throttle control/oil pressure warning when parked.

I'd check fuses and the 12v battery. About all you can do at the moment anyway.

Yeah, bizarre. Jeep drove fine to its overnight destination, no warning until after parked (via app). Worth mentioning, we did check and reseat all fuses weeks ago.

·
Registered
| 2012 JKU Sahara | 2021 4xe Sahara |
64 Posts
A 2020 JLU owner describes his experience as getting that error when parked for short periods but seems to fix itself after parking for longer periods after seemingly cooling off... and perhaps need a new throttle body. I do not see a follow up post of his resolution. :(

·
Registered
590 Posts
I think the fuse issues may be overblown, pardon the pun, but the electronics are sensitive.

I'd check the oil, 12v, and start it up and see if it runs okay. I'm hoping just an anomaly, perhaps it turned off in a funny way and triggered something?

Good luck!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A 2020 JLU owner describes his experience as getting that error when parked for short periods but seems to fix itself after parking for longer periods after seemingly cooling off... and perhaps need a new throttle body. I do not see a follow up post of his resolution. :(

I think the fuse issues may be overblown, pardon the pun, but the electronics are sensitive.

I'd check the oil, 12v, and start it up and see if it runs okay. I'm hoping just an anomaly, perhaps it turned off in a funny way and triggered something?

Good luck!
Thank you, yeah hoping it's a fluke but certainly doesn't give a lot of confidence on a trip like this. Not a lot of support in a place like Newfoundland. I'm not currently with her / the Jeep so trying to troubleshoot remotely.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just experienced something very similar after driving a few huffed miles then running a 30 miles trail. My service 4wd, abs, collision avoidance, and check engine lights all came on 30 minutes after I finished the trail and was driving away in 2hi. Stopped, allowed to cool, and all lights turned off except check engine. Drove fine, cooled again a few hours later and check engine light turned off. I had been running the trail in hybrid mode and regenerating. Any chance these are heat sensitive????

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So bizarre. Warnings turned off this morning and it seemed to drive fine but wow, talk about losing confidence when being so remote. No idea if it’ll act up again, this trip has multiple long days of driving ahead.

It’s also shaken my confidence in my coming Rubicon. I’m a compulsively early adopter so I’m used to dealing with occasional problems but with this Sahara they’re really starting to pile up.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I figured they would clear out.

It's almost like the "I'm off" message processed a little late.

Man, now Newfoundland! You have been on my dream vacations, lol. Antarctica is another one on my list.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I figured they would clear out.

It's almost like the "I'm off" message processed a little late.

Man, now Newfoundland! You have been on my dream vacations, lol. Antarctica is another one on my list.
Ha! Newfoundland is a lot easier to get to than Antarctica, and a great road trip. 7 hour ferry ride from Nova Scotia and you're there. I go to Newfoundland once per year (in normal times, anyway). Absolutely love the place and the people. But I also have a thing for cold islands - just got back from my 4th trip to Iceland (where I saw a surprising number of 4XEs running around).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had my Sahara 4XE for 3 days when the Throttle Control Failure, MIL, Turtle Mode when I was driving and came to a stop. I had to Limp the Jeep off the HWY. It came back over 24 hours a few times. I took it to the dealership and they quickly diagnosed it using OBD Reader. It was a loose Vacuum hose that worked it’s way loose over the course of driving it a few days. They said likely at the Factory there was an issue. That had been the 3rd 4XE that had come in with this. Not sure if that sounds like what you’re going through, but just wanted to share to the pot. Good Luck!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had my Sahara 4XE for 3 days when the Throttle Control Failure, MIL, Turtle Mode when I was driving and came to a stop. I had to Limp the Jeep off the HWY. It came back over 24 hours a few times. I took it to the dealership and they quickly diagnosed it using OBD Reader. It was a loose Vacuum hose that worked it’s way loose over the course of driving it a few days. They said likely at the Factory there was an issue. That had been the 3rd 4XE that had come in with this. Not sure if that sounds like what you’re going through, but just wanted to share to the pot. Good Luck!
Not quite the same because in my case, the Jeep drove fine. Since my post the alerts have cleared and it continues to drive normally.

Definitely bringing it in as soon as it’s back to civilization, so this is something to reference and have checked “just in case” at the dealer. Hopefully it avoids another future issue, thank you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think Jeep needs a service recall to check all the things that the factory was supposed to get right the 1st time. Mine has been running fine, but I haven't been off road YET. All of this is making rethink taking the jeep on the trails. Hoses, fuses etc shouldn't get loose! Love the 4xe but I don't want anxiety driving it. @JeepCares

·
Registered
11 Posts
Went in for service:

We completed 5 RRT's on the vehicle. 2 of them had codes that were stored in the computer of the vehicle. It is possible that they would be fixed by completed the RRT's. He is charging the vehicle right now and going to take the vehicle for a drive after it charges up to see if any of the codes come back. Reply STOP to OptOut.

have not had this problem since and have run trails 3 of the last 4 days. My rear locker light still comes on intermittently on highway so I’m guessing that is a different issue

1 - 15 of 15 Posts