Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

End of first day thoughts.

The 4XE will do at least 75 mph in all electric mode. That was one of my questions. I thought there might be a speed where the engine would turn on.

Acceleration in electric mode is buttery smooth and very quiet. For day to day driving in traffic, it is perfect. It is more powerful in electric mode than I expected. If you stomp on the accelerator pedal, it will start the gas engine. But you sort of learn where that spot is.

Max regen is spectacular. You can almost one pedal drive with it turned on. It takes a little bit to learn how to time it right. But I nailed it a couple times today where I was able to only apply the brakes for the last 5 or 6 feet. The brake lights come on when decelerating in max regen mode so other cars will know you are slowing.
The other thing I like about the Max regen is it seems to vary the amount of deceleration based on speed. It may be that it downshifts in the transmission or something but I noticed that it doesn’t hit as hard at higher speeds. It’s really enjoyable.

The transition from electric to gas is seamless. After driving in electric mode for a little bit, it’s almost disappointing to hear the engine kick on.

I also uploaded a walk around video to YouTube:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Great video and write-up @Wrangler4XEFan! Smart idea from Jeep to prevent people from shifting into gear while it's charging. I didn't realize how big the ridge is with the seats folded. I hope someone will make something to give it a flat surface for camping/overlanding or carrying items.

Btw how is the Alpine sound system?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wrangler4XEfan your walk around video was great. You answered many of my lingering questions. Glad to know there is a little storage under the back area. It was good to see how the rear seats folded up. I like Willys hopes someone makes a platform or box to bring the rear storage area to the elevation of where the back seats are folded down. I am very excited about the regen mode. never had a hybrid but sounds like one foot driving is coming my way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you very much for the video. One quick question, at the 7:18 mark in the video in the back just below the 12 volt plug there appears to be a rubber cap covering something and it looks like it has a fuel logo on it, can you tell me what that is. Again thank you very much for the video, can't wait to get mine

·
Registered
179 Posts
Howdy!

My first post here, but wanted to say big thanks for the initial thoughts and video. I guess I should probably do an "intro" post somewhere, but kind of the short version:

Our 2nd/wife's/family ride is currently an '18 Durango RT AWD, aka, a Jeep 2nd cousin :D, nice, very loaded (blacktop, tow, etc.), been pretty great but it's coming off (a pretty terrific) lease next month, so it's time to shop. We considered another DD, maybe with the new Tow and Go, but that's still sort of more of the same - I thought about trading in my '19 Mustang GT convertible, and upgrading the main ride to a Durango SRT, and then getting a smaller "backup" car like a VW GTI. Also knocked around an Explorer ST, even took a look at the Kia/Hyundai 3-row-ers that have been getting killer reviews. We also owned a T4R for a few years, great ride, and before that an X5 4.4i as our family cars.

We live at the beach, and need some moderate tow capability, but finally decided we no longer need to worry about having a 6 seater, so that opened up things to some other options like a Grand Cherokee, but in the back of my mind, I've always sort of thought about a Wrangler (the wife too), and by splitting the difference on our car budget (like we did with the RT) I could keep the GT, or trade it later, as I also have a desire for a full BEV ride (top of the list is a Tesla Model 3 Performance).

So long story only slightly less long: wife and I like Wranglers, we only have one 13 year old so don't need more than 4/5 seats, needs some light offroad, hauling, light towing, something pretty durable so I'm not worried about 10 bags of mulch - and here on the NE coast of Florida, we also get a ton of top down weather (I don't even drive my Mustang if the top has to come up ... not even sure it has a top ... :D). So we'd get another (optional) open air vehicle, that might even replace mine.

Plus, the extra fun of making that first EV step with a PHEV which sounds super fun, and with the $7500 Fed rebate, it's about the same price as how we'd option out a non-EV model - and it makes the 3 year cost pretty terrific.

OK, so maybe not even the slightly-less-long version ... :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
179 Posts
I do have a question: during the Regen Braking, is there any indicator of the amount of power that's getting generated? I mean, I would guess you could switch over to your battery status and watch the % charge[?] I was reading (here in fact), that the regen is super effective, like even during speed changes at highway speeds (you know, vs. full on slowing/stopping) you get a decent amount of regeneration.

·
Registered
125 Posts
@Wrangler4XEFan what do you think about the minor design differences between the 4xe and regular Wranglers?
Is it enough or could Jeep do more throughout the interior and exterior?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Welcome @MaskedRacerX! Reserved your 4xe already? If so, any info in delivery timeline?
Hey, thanks.

I haven't, hoping to score one off a lot - I'm in NE FL, and there are a TON of Jeep dealers. One of the closer dealers actually has 4 in stock/being stocked, our closest dealer, talking ~9 miles away, has one in stock too - though none of them quite the options we want.

We're pretty open to any color, except black, pretty much any solver/gray, either red variant, maybe even blue. I actually dig on the orange but my GT is orange, and that's enough orange for one garage :D

Weird that not one of those 5 I mentioned above has the tow package. I know a hitch can be added aftermarket, but I like an OEM setup, you know, where all the electrical/harnesses are installed from the factory, the additional perks like the larger battery and whatnot.

I'm 99% sure our preferred configuration is:

Sahara
Black Hardtop
Safety Group
Advanced Safety Group
Cold Weather Group
Tow/HD Electrical Group

·
Registered
7 Posts
Another question for you @Johnny4xe

What tires are you running? And did you have options for different ones?

I'm curious if they have some more range-friendly tires vs options more for off-roading.

Thx

·
Registered
6 Posts
Another question for you @Johnny4xe

What tires are you running? And did you have options for different ones?

I'm curious if they have some more range-friendly tires vs options more for off-roading.

Thx

I actually plan to put 35" BFG KO/2 on the Rubicon when it arrives so I will most likely get worse MPGE, The standard tire is the same BFG KO/2 but in a 32" tire and you have the option for OWL ( outside white letter)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hey, thanks.

I haven't, hoping to score one off a lot - I'm in NE FL, and there are a TON of Jeep dealers. One of the closer dealers actually has 4 in stock/being stocked, our closest dealer, talking ~9 miles away, has one in stock too - though none of them quite the options we want.

We're pretty open to any color, except black, pretty much any solver/gray, either red variant, maybe even blue. I actually dig on the orange but my GT is orange, and that's enough orange for one garage :D

Weird that not one of those 5 I mentioned above has the tow package. I know a hitch can be added aftermarket, but I like an OEM setup, you know, where all the electrical/harnesses are installed from the factory, the additional perks like the larger battery and whatnot.

I'm 99% sure our preferred configuration is:

Sahara
Black Hardtop
Safety Group
Advanced Safety Group
Cold Weather Group
Tow/HD Electrical Group
Do you know what 4xe allocations are like at those dealers. 4 seems sort of low. Do keep us posted on the 4xe's you find showing up at dealers. It will be interesting to see how they are spec'd.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Do you know what 4xe allocations are like at those dealers. 4 seems sort of low. Do keep us posted on the 4xe's you find showing up at dealers. It will be interesting to see how they are spec'd.
Hey!

When I said, allocation, that probably not the best choice of terms, as I don't know how many they can actually purchase (which is really what I think of in terms of allocations, like for the new Mach I or GT500)

The 4 I mentioned above are already spec'ed, like they have actual window stickers, even though I don't +think+ they're sitting at the dealer yet. Same for the one I think we're going to buy, it's an order on the way to the dealer, sticker, but they don't have it yet (hahaha, the dealer's placeholder graphics are even the right model ...).

It's actually good, as we've still got some logistics with the existing [family] ride, so I'd just as soon not have "our" Wrangler sitting at a dealer lot for months. I think the timing might work out just right, we can technically keep the DD/RT till the end of May, and I'm 99% sure we're going to see it to Carvana, their offer is ~$7500 over the residual/buyout price!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I do have a question: during the Regen Braking, is there any indicator of the amount of power that's getting generated? I mean, I would guess you could switch over to your battery status and watch the % charge[?] I was reading (here in fact), that the regen is super effective, like even during speed changes at highway speeds (you know, vs. full on slowing/stopping) you get a decent amount of regeneration.
Welcome to the forum @MaskedRacerX! There is a bar in the instrument cluster that shows the battery charge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
View attachment 180
End of first day thoughts.

The 4XE will do at least 75 mph in all electric mode. That was one of my questions. I thought there might be a speed where the engine would turn on.

Acceleration in electric mode is buttery smooth and very quiet. For day to day driving in traffic, it is perfect. It is more powerful in electric mode than I expected. If you stomp on the accelerator pedal, it will start the gas engine. But you sort of learn where that spot is.

Max regen is spectacular. You can almost one pedal drive with it turned on. It takes a little bit to learn how to time it right. But I nailed it a couple times today where I was able to only apply the brakes for the last 5 or 6 feet. The brake lights come on when decelerating in max regen mode so other cars will know you are slowing.
The other thing I like about the Max regen is it seems to vary the amount of deceleration based on speed. It may be that it downshifts in the transmission or something but I noticed that it doesn’t hit as hard at higher speeds. It’s really enjoyable.

The transition from electric to gas is seamless. After driving in electric mode for a little bit, it’s almost disappointing to hear the engine kick on.

I also uploaded a walk around video to YouTube:
Awesome can’t wait for mine 🙌🏾

1 - 20 of 28 Posts