Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4xe issue with charging it using a J-1772 adapter with my level 2 Tesla home charger. MIL light (looks like an engine block) turns on and never turns off. Dealership found no issue, reset the warning light, but it keeps happening. Seems dealer’s service dept has no training in this issue. When I plug it in using this method, the dash shows, “Issue detected. Check external charging station.” Then it reads, “Service Charging System.” Last, it then charges successfully. Any clues or similar experience? I plugged it in at the free J1772 at Safeway and it cleared but not consistently.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The Tesla EVSE with a J1772 adapter sometimes overpowers the on board charger. Have seen error messages on other makes. Not sure why though. In theory the on board charger should only draw what it can handle but never the less....error codes are displayed. The Mach-E sometimes shuts down the charge session and displayes a message about charge current too high.

·
Registered
3 Posts
New 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4xe issue with charging it using a J-1772 adapter with my level 2 Tesla home charger. MIL light (looks like an engine block) turns on and never turns off. Dealership found no issue, reset the warning light, but it keeps happening. Seems dealer’s service dept has no training in this issue. When I plug it in using this method, the dash shows, “Issue detected. Check external charging station.” Then it reads, “Service Charging System.” Last, it then charges successfully. Any clues or similar experience? I plugged it in at the free J1772 at Safeway and it cleared but not consistently. View attachment 569 View attachment 570

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Jim, are you using the Lectron Tesla to J1772 adaptor? I just bought this Lectron adapter and I am getting the same error when trying to charge my Jeep 4xe with my Tesla Mobile charger.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not yet. But based on your info, I will. Is it a Jeep issue or a Lectron one? Many issues with the 4xe as I’m learning.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am having the same issue after using the same adapter. Taking it to the dealership tomorrow.
New 2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4xe issue with charging it using a J-1772 adapter with my level 2 Tesla home charger. MIL light (looks like an engine block) turns on and never turns off. Dealership found no issue, reset the warning light, but it keeps happening. Seems dealer’s service dept has no training in this issue. When I plug it in using this method, the dash shows, “Issue detected. Check external charging station.” Then it reads, “Service Charging System.” Last, it then charges successfully. Any clues or similar experience? I plugged it in at the free J1772 at Safeway and it cleared but not consistently. View attachment 569 View attachment 570

·
Registered
381 Posts
" Older or non-compliant J1772 EVSE models may not support charging of this vehicle.If this vehicle does not charge, it may be connected to a non-compliant Level 2 EVSE, and will flash indicators. Please identify this failure to the site operator and/or EVSE provider. "
40 GETTING TO KNOW YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL

·
Registered
381 Posts
okay, some trouble shooting. may work may not work.
1 check if there is no charging schedule set.
If the charging schedule is enabled within the vehicle, you may override it for this charging event by plugging in the charge connector, unplugging it, and then plugging it back into the vehicle charge inlet. Complete the double plug sequence within 10 seconds for it to override the set schedule.

2 put the addapter FIRST in the car, then charger into the addapter.

3 lower the charger power to 25A if you have the option.
4 check if external charging stations need membership card or app start, even free stations need some id's to start charging.

Hood Ajar — Check whether the hood is open. Charging is disabled while the hood is open, and will resume when the hood closes

·
Registered
10 Posts
Will you let me know what you learn and what dealership it is? Mine was clueless stating that Jeep hasn’t provided much training on the 4xe. Thanks in advance. I’m in Seattle.
i am in Arizona, dealership is Autonation CJD in north phoenix. They will look at it tomorrow afternoon. Will post soon as I have updates.

·
Registered
10 Posts
here is what i got from the dealer regarding the issues. waiting for them to tell me the repair process. I will update you once i get those.

i am in Arizona, dealership is Autonation CJD in north phoenix. They will look at it tomorrow afternoon. Will post soon as I have updates.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So i got my jeep back on Friday. The dealer said the check engine light was caused by a "low current charger". They said there is no permanent damage and were able to reset the light and return my car to me. To be safe I ordered the original Mopar level 2 charger and I am waiting for it. I am no longer risking using the tesla charger adapter to charge my jeep.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey everyone, new member here. Just picked our High Altitude 4XE last week, used the lectron j1772 adapter for my Telsa charger to the Jeep, same thing here. Check Engine light comes on, dealership said all the same things too.

Not much training on the 4Xe, have to call Jeep corporate on Monday. They said they checked the other battery in the car too, but no issues, just resetting codes. (Live in New York, Westchester County)

·
Registered
43 Posts
High power causes issues too. I have the same issue with a Tesla Charger with a J1772 end on it at Mt. Rushmore. (not an adapter on it) I will be trying it out now that I am home with a 40A or 48A J1772 charger to see if it still exists and then taking it too the dealer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts