Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just picked up a Rubicon 4xe and the Esave button does nothing. It lights up and says esave on dash but still runs in full electric mode.
Anyone else experience this and have any ideas? Checked all fuses. It also seems to have real high rpm’s when going to gas in Hybrid Mode.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The top few percent of the battery's charge becomes harder to charge and is harder on the battery. There also needs to be battery capacity available for regeneration to dump the electricity it's creating.

That's just my guess based off of the little physics involved that I know.

E-save should kick on around 94/95% and hold there.

Also, any of the modes takes about 10 seconds or so to change from what I've seen.

·
Registered
148 Posts
What's your battery SOC?
Have you change the option in the Hybrid screen from Battery Save to Battery Charge?

I don't want to make a statement that sounds like I'm going to insult your intelligence so please don't take this next question in a way that sounds weird. Can I ask what your understanding of eSave is? There is a lot of bad information out there about what that mode does and many dealerships are communicating bad information. We have had a lot of people in the Wrangler 4XE Fans group on Facebook that have misunderstood what that mode does.

·
Registered
228 Posts
So just picked up a Rubicon 4xe and the Esave button does nothing. It lights up and says esave on dash but still runs in full electric mode.
Anyone else experience this and have any ideas? Checked all fuses. It also seems to have real high rpm’s when going to gas in Hybrid Mode.
The engine usually comes on with moderate to heavy acceleration and doesn't come on much when you are under 20 MPH. So it's common for it to start under heavy load like that. It's so quiet though I often don't notice over the wind/tire noise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's your battery SOC?
Have you change the option in the Hybrid screen from Battery Save to Battery Charge?

I don't want to make a statement that sounds like I'm going to insult your intelligence so please don't take this next question in a way that sounds weird. Can I ask what your understanding of eSave is? There is a lot of bad information out there about what that mode does and many dealerships are communicating bad information. We have had a lot of people in the Wrangler 4XE Fans group on Facebook that have misunderstood what that mode does.
I have only tried it so far full battery capacity. My understanding is that it saves battery for later use when the esave button is pushed. I did not wait 10 seconds. My guess is anytime your moving, the battery is being used and thus not “esaving”. I’m not the engineer that designed it though, and there is very little technical information on how and when certain things work. Hard part is, it’s not my ride, it’s my wife’s. She doesn’t care about all this. She just gets in and drives. I just want to make sure it works like it should.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Only thing you need e-save for is to get to a trail or camp site with 95% battery. If your wife just drives and ignores everything, the vehicle will be operating at it's optimal settings.

Wrangler4XEFan puts out some of the best videos on the 4xe and how it all works. So you have a great source on the technical info.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have only tried it so far full battery capacity. My understanding is that it saves battery for later use when the esave button is pushed. I did not wait 10 seconds. My guess is anytime your moving, the battery is being used and thus not “esaving”. I’m not the engineer that designed it though, and there is very little technical information on how and when certain things work. Hard part is, it’s not my ride, it’s my wife’s. She doesn’t care about all this. She just gets in and drives. I just want to make sure it works like it should.
So eSave won't kick on the engine until you drop below 95%. So you picked up on that. Good job. And yeah, it doesn't matter what mode you drive in, the Wrangler 4XE is always a hybrid. The different modes change the vehicle bias toward gas or electric. Here's a video that explains that as best as I've figured it out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So eSave won't kick on the engine until you drop below 95%. So you picked up on that. Good job. And yeah, it doesn't matter what mode you drive in, the Wrangler 4XE is always a hybrid. The different modes change the vehicle bias toward gas or electric. Here's a video that explains that as best as I've figured it out.
Very nice. All that made perfect sense. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts