Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's been lots about the oil and refresh BUT Mines gone into it 3 times in the last month!!! Fn rediculous!! And takes forever to come out even when I let it idle till it shuts off... and I start the gas engine everytime I start the jeep when it's cold so when the gas has to kick in, the engine at least has oil that's run through the engine...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like the engine isn't getting hot enough during your normal driving.
No but does it ever?? Its a hybrid so sometimes the engine kicks on and off sometimes just for seconds at a time.. doesn't mean it should go into refresh e error other week!

Registered
In my youth I cobbled together a few engines and later in life witnessed design/test/failure of new engine builds, so this was a concern of mine with the 4xe. Personally, if I know I'm out for more than the 25-30 miles I get on pure battery, I'll run it with e-save on charge after getting to about 80% battery, and make sure to run it like that watching the coolant & oil temps get to 190F and 170F respectively. Once at that threshold for a few minutes, I go back to hybrid mode and let it do it's thing.

If I think I'm going to want to utilize full power at some point, I'll go back into esave mode and in very short order it's at proper "get on it" temperatures. Just the way I do it, anyway. The Off Road page in the Rubi provides a nice gauge set for reference.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In my youth I cobbled together a few engines and later in life witnessed design/test/failure of new engine builds, so this was a concern of mine with the 4xe. Personally, if I know I'm out for more than the 25-30 miles I get on pure battery, I'll run it with e-save on charge after getting to about 80% battery, and make sure to run it like that watching the coolant & oil temps get to 190F and 170F respectively. Once at that threshold for a few minutes, I go back to hybrid mode and let it do it's thing.

If I think I'm going to want to utilize full power at some point, I'll go back into esave mode and in very short order it's at proper "get on it" temperatures. Just the way I do it, anyway. The Off Road page in the Rubi provides a nice gauge set for reference.
Same. Like I said, I start the gas engine everytime I start the jeep so the oil at least gets through the engine and warms up a bit, in time you'll start seeing bad engines in the 4xe because they'll go from Stone cold to full power with no engine lubrication.. but it seems by running the engine and letting it warm up, it goes into refresh way more often! I'm in canada so it's our cold season. I put it in manual shift and let the engine run for a good 10min before driving away.

Registered
but it seems by running the engine and letting it warm up, it goes into refresh way more often
I suspect if you monitor your oil Temps, you'll find that you're not getting it fully hot, so what you're actually doing is adding more cold cycles to the computer tracker, kicking you into form more often.

Registered
...but it seems by running the engine and letting it warm up, it goes into refresh way more often! I'm in canada so it's our cold season. I put it in manual shift and let the engine run for a good 10min before driving away.
I wonder if it isn't so much as it's in refresh mode as it is weighing the ambient temps with the power demands (HVAC heat) and battery maintenance temp in the cold weather and calculating fuel use to balance load? It's not cold enough by me yet, but I'll watch that.

While it may be my imagination it sounds like the engine-mounted alt-gen motor unit spools up the engine a few revs prior to the engine actually starting; perhaps the few revs are an oil pressure pre-lube? Or maybe I'm just hearing things LOL.

Registered
This morning it's 9 degrees and it remote started(jeep in garage) in electric and I drove my 2 miles and parked outside for two hours. It did not want to go back into electric and it never said it was going into the oil/gas refresh either. Just too cold? Jeep never considered the cold?? It went through the refresh process 2 weeks ago which took forever. Have an appointment at the dealer on Wednesday for a gas line recall so maybe they know more about this?!?!? Maybe need to move to a warmer place. MN isn't it!

Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe (on order)
I can see this FORM issue is quite bothersome to some of the 4xe owners. In my opinion, this plug-in hybrid vehicle will be an excellent choice for a rather narrow group of users. It can also be a good choice for a larger group of users. As with any new technology, the 4xe user must be adaptable.

If the user is in a cold climate and has usual drives of less than 20 miles or 32 kms, the 4xe is not their best choice. On the other hand, if a user in cold climates can spend the first 20 minutes of their drive in hybrid/manual modes, they will rarely see a FORM alert.

Fortunately for those who feel they have made the wrong purchase can easily unload the 4xe in today's market. If I were in the OP's shoes, I would first consider a new strategy in driving style before tossing the 4xe on its butt.

Registered
I'm at 7,000 miles but haven't hit either fuel or oil refresh mode. At one point I was a little under 100 days without a refill and it still hadn't kicked on refresh. But then I had a long highway trip.

Registered
I know there's been lots about the oil and refresh BUT Mines gone into it 3 times in the last month!!! Fn rediculous!! And takes forever to come out even when I let it idle till it shuts off... and I start the gas engine everytime I start the jeep when it's cold so when the gas has to kick in, the engine at least has oil that's run through the engine...
Try putting Jeep in on position without starting motor. Then slowly press accelerator fully down 3 times in a row within 10 seconds. Then turn Jeep to off . See if that works.

Registered
No but does it ever?? Its a hybrid so sometimes the engine kicks on and off sometimes just for seconds at a time.. doesn't mean it should go into refresh e error other week!
What temps are you seeing where you live?

Cold Weather Operation of the Wrangler 4xe

Remote start and regular button start will both work, with an EVSE plugged in. That鈥檚 a great way to warm the battery and the cabin using energy from the wall. The Jeep will not shift out of Park until you remove the charge handle, to prevent accidentally driving off while plugged in. The plug icon in the cluster gives you a heads up.

You might see Fuel/Oil Refresh more frequently in cold weather. That鈥檚 because short engine runtimes in cold temperatures are most conducive to fuel dilution into the engine oil. If this happens, the solution is to get the engine warm and keep it running for up to an hour and a half to evaporate the fuel out of the oil鈥 or change the engine oil.

Here鈥檚 what to expect as mornings get colder. All of this logic is true, whether an EVSE is plugged in or not:

Above ~32掳F, and with sufficient battery and fuel, the vehicle will usually power up silently (ICE not running). The exception is if you have a very high HVAC demand.

Below 32掳F but above 10掳F, the ICE engine will also run at startup. You can select Electric mode to shut it off, relying instead on the electric heaters. There will be a range penalty. If you use remote start in a cold garage, take note exhaust will be emitted.

Below 10掳F, the engine will always run until various systems are up to operating temperature. Electric mode will be unavailable during warmup. At these temperatures, the electric heater really isn鈥檛 an efficient way to heat the cabin, and your EV range would be greatly reduced by that anyway. The same is true of BEV鈥檚, but they don鈥檛 have an ICE to help.

If it鈥檚 below ~5掳F outside when you shut down, the instrument cluster will advise you to plug in an EVSE to maintain battery temperature. This is only strictly necessary in case the battery temp falls below -20掳F overnight. Level 1 or Level 2 are suitable.

All the way down to -20掳F, the Jeep can start unassisted (without an EVSE connected). This is the same capability as other Wranglers and most ICE vehicles.

If outside temperature is likely to fall below -20掳F, you definitely want to connect an EVSE overnight. The Jeep will wake up periodically and warm and circulate coolant to facilitate a restart. It鈥檚 not necessary to also connect a block heater.

With an EVSE connected, the Jeep can start as low as -40掳F. This is the same performance a other Wranglers and the best production ICE vehicles - they require block heaters in these temperatures.

Happy Snow-Jeeping! 馃檪

Registered
Oil Temp ref: Performance Unlimited 4-Wheel & Off Road Center - Hartford, Wisconsin - USA Technical Documents

This may or may not be the best thread to post this. An engineer buddy of mine could not give me anything official from his employer and I cannot find my own technical docs from back in the day, but this reference is a good general guide to the ongoing discussion on this forum regarding oil temps and FORM.

I have not looked nor verified where the oil temp is measured in Jeep's 2.0T, but oil temp is usually measured as it leaves the sump to the oil filter (accepted as ~sump temp). Oil is hotter entering the sump after circulating than when it gets to the oil temp sensor. The point is, if the oil temp reads 180-190F for an extended period of time (say, 20 minutes) water and fuel are definitely being burned off although you can still have the gasoline aromatics left behind when smelling the dipstick later on.

Once the coolant is 190F and oil is in the 170+F range, have some hammer-on-it time for a while; it's good for the engine and the human spirit.馃槣 The cooling system in the 4xe is very good and you'll thank the engineers for that when crawling around a deep sand beach, up a long trail, or trailering some fun toys to a vacation destination.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts