Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting warm out. Jeep has been plugged in while parked. Remote start from Uconnect failed so I got into a pretty warm cabin. Started the Jeep and opened all the windows to let out as much hot air as possible then closed the windows after a few minutes.. A/C was in on full blast. Ambient temp around 108-109 degrees.

Drove 15 minutes to the hardware store and the battery struggled to cool down the Jeep which is unusual because EVs usually cool the cabin much quicker than an ICE. I think this is a case where having the battery in the passenger cabin makes it work harder to cool down after being parked in the sun.

While stopped at an intersection I checked the energy consumption and 5kW was going to HVAC and 2kW to cool the battery I believe.

Finished shopping and got back in the Jeep to head home and the vehicle turned on the ICE and two things happened. First, the cabin finally got cool and the HVB got a break so it could coolndown too. After about 15 minutes the engine turned off and the battery took over again. By that time the cabin was a comfortable 73 degrees so the battery was able to manage the temps.

I was surprised how quickly the air from the dash vents cooled down once the ICE turned on. I am guessing the MGU1 on the engine is able to power the A/C compressor more effectively than the HVB can under those conditions.

All very interesting. I think this means we won't be driving our Jeep very much this summer and will need to make sure to remote start when possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm also in AZ (east Mesa) and I too feel like I probably won't be driving much during the summer. Especially not with these temps we're about to have. I'd rather not find out what happens in extreme heat, although I typically don't park in the direct sun (garage at home, covered parking at the office, grocery delivery, etc. so no parking in parking lots during the day for me).

I did run through a drive thru today on electric with no issue. Also started it up to finally connect the garage door opener and sat for awhile on electric with the AC running no issue.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You could just run it in E-save mode if you’re worried about the battery and heat, plus it sounds like things cooled down much more while running the ICE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could just run it in E-save mode if you’re worried about the battery and heat, plus it sounds like things cooled down much more while running the ICE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes. My comment about not using it much has more to do with our desire to drive all electric when possible. It seems the Jeep is able to do what is necessary to protect the battery so that is pretty neat. But if the Jeep is going to start the ICE when it's hot out then that defeats the use purpose for us.

Out C-Max Energi did the same thing. On really hot days it would start the engine even if the battery was fully charged. We sold that car for a Focus Electric BEV but it was a bit too small for us so we decided to get the Wrangler 4xe because it had a liquid cooled battery. We thought that would allow us to drive in electric even in extreme heat but alas, that isn't the case. :(

I think the root of the issue is the battery size. Our Mach-E has a 99 kWh battery back and so far it hadn't been negatively affected by the ambient temps. The larger mass probably makes a difference.

We can drive the Mach-E most of the time and just use rhe 4xe when camping or off roading. That will be fine I guess. Still nicer to have than the Focus Electric. That was a great car for its purpose but we have different use needs now. (y)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had the same kind of issue test driving a Tesla on a hot day. They parked it in the sun for several hours and the rep forgot to pre-cool the cabin. I gave up waiting for it's AC to cool the cabin (it was likely working hard to cool the battery pack) and just went windows-down. At least with a PHEV, the gas engine is there when the battery runs down especially with heavy HVAC use.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm considering buying Side Window Air Deflectors for helping cabin heat while parking. I can little down the side windows. What do you think about it?
I saw some solar-powered ones that fit into the side windows (you roll up the window to snug in place) a couple summers ago. They might have been someone's garage-shop special, though as they looked like wind deflectors at first. They got my attention as I was walking by and heard the motor(s) whirring.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts