Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We’ll update from dealer. After talking with Jeep directly it has been determined that it is working the way it is supposed to?!?!? What does this mean?? If your Canadian you just bought a summer only hybrid!!!! What a misrepresentation!!! Shame on you Jeep!!!
to be fair, I fully understand, but as a new to phev, this should have been explained.Here’s an example, your driving in electric in -35, not uncommon in parts of Canada, you are running out of battery, and you expect the gas engine to be happy it has to start in that condition!! Your going to wreck something!!! Lol
So they did change my oil,reset the computer, do updates, and was told to NOT reset the oil monitor ever!!! It apparently messes up the algorithm in the FORM programming and will make things worse.
So the long and the skinny is if your Canadian don’t plan on using the electric mode from November til April!!!! Depending on where you live. Let the Jeep determine what it wants to do when it gets cold. Also trying to satisfy the FORM requirements like what I did will only cause you a lot of headaches and money!!!
the Jeep will come out of FORM when it’s ready,(like spring time) lol.
Plan to call Jeep Canada to lodge a complaint!!!
Happy Jeepin!!!

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
was told to NOT reset the oil monitor ever!!! It apparently messes up the algorithm in the FORM programming and will make things worse.
Is this surprising? If it kicks into FORM because it needs to burn off fuel in the oil, resetting the oil monitor may make the warning go away, but not the problem it's trying to address. Do it enough times, and you're just compounding the problem.

What might be a better solution to these problems is a cold weather grill cover to help the vehicle come up to temp quicker and just let it do its thing.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this surprising? If it kicks into FORM because it needs to burn off fuel in the oil, resetting the oil monitor may make the warning go away, but not the problem it's trying to address. Do it enough times, and you're just compounding the problem.

What might be a better solution to these problems is a cold weather grill cover to help the vehicle come up to temp quicker and just let it do its thing.
Don’t think you understand, once in FORM when our cold weather hits, it will not come out of FORM til spring!!!
You will never get the oil temp up to 210 degrees in Canada in the winter!!
The dealer was told to drive it for 2 hrs tomorrow and even with it being single digit pluses, they don’t think it will hit 210 threshold!!! We bought an $80000 summer phev!!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sorry to hear of your troubles, Mike the millwright. But maybe before accusing Jeep of "misrepresentation" you might make certain that they didn't assure you that it would work perfectly in arctic conditions. In fact, before buying the 4xe, you might have done more to educate yourself on the nuances of the technology. Maybe downloaded the "Wrngler 4xe User's Manual Supplement" which carefully and thoroughly explains the parameters by which the Jeep operates (or doesn't operate) by design in your climate conditions.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Maybe downloaded the "Wrngler 4xe User's Manual Supplement" which carefully and thoroughly explains the parameters by which the Jeep operates (or doesn't operate) by design in your climate conditions.
While I'm certainly guilty of having done this before purchasing, I don't think it's necessarily reasonable to expect the normal consumer to go out of their way to find the user manual. There's definitely a shortcoming here in communication as to how the vehicle is supposed to behave in the cold before buying. A good dealer would have, at least while handing over the vehicle, said "hey, this is a phev. When it's really cold out, the engine is going to come on occasionally to warm things up. You can't always go into ev only mode because they vehicle is trying to maximize efficiency and longevity of the equipment".

·
Registered
2021 4xe Rubicon
34 Posts
It's not just Canada. It's anywhere cold (like Chicago). It does sort of suck. I get the "read the manual" stuff but I contacted my dealer and service staff who was in disbelief at the suggestion this could be the way it is. Still works for me but it's a disappointment. I expect the internet/Bronco crowd to make a lot of hay out of this.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
1,265 Posts
I’m telling you guys/gals, if you can’t let the Jeep idle in a out of the weather garage, go for a drive to get the oil temp up to 180 or however high, then take it to a do it yourself car wash bay, let it idle, while you wash it for 20 min or so inside. Keep the bay door or doors 1/4 way up for ventilation. See if it will fulfill the Oil refresh mode that way.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m telling you guys/gals, if you can’t let the Jeep idle in a out of the weather garage, go for a drive to get the oil temp up to 180 or however high, then take it to a do it yourself car wash bay, let it idle, while you wash it for 20 min or so inside. Keep the bay door or doors 1/4 way up for ventilation. See if it will fulfill the Oil refresh mode that way.
Obviously you have never seen a Canadian winter!!!! Lol it’s -9 today and the dealer was told by Jeep to drive it for 2 hrs!!! I don’t think that will do it!!
I’m not going to waste my time with it anymore!! The FORM will come on and will stay on as long as it needs to. Jeep has said NOT to do anything to try and get it out of FORM. No heating up oil, no driving in a lower gear to bring up temp, no adding gas, unless needed, no resetting oil monitor. They were crystal clear, just drive….lol
So if you read between the lines that means no electric for Canada in the winter!!! They apparently know all about the issue.
Cheers

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Obviously you have never seen a Canadian winter!!!! Lol it’s -9 today and the dealer was told by Jeep to drive it for 2 hrs!!! I don’t think that will do it!!
I’m not going to waste my time with it anymore!! The FORM will come on and will stay on as long as it needs to. Jeep has said NOT to do anything to try and get it out of FORM. No heating up oil, no driving in a lower gear to bring up temp, no adding gas, unless needed, no resetting oil monitor. They were crystal clear, just drive….lol
So if you read between the lines that means no electric for Canada in the winter!!! They apparently know all about the issue.
Cheers

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks I will be looking into it!!!
Cheers
It's not just Canada. It's anywhere cold (like Chicago). It does sort of suck. I get the "read the manual" stuff but I contacted my dealer and service staff who was in disbelief at the suggestion this could be the way it is. Still works for me but it's a disappointment. I expect the internet/Bronco crowd to make a lot of hay out of this.
My dealership is the same way!!! They can’t believe that it won’t work in the winter. I have never had an electric vehicle before. I mean I did the usual research, how much money will I save, longevity of phev, but honestly never thought about the weather being a factor!!! I mean if your going to sell a vehicle in Canada, ya got to know it’s going to be cold!!! Lol
I have bought 3 jeeps from these guys and they would never steer me wrong on purpose!!! I think Jeep needed to educate their northern climate dealers to the limitations!!! We will learn to live with it!!! Lol

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
1,265 Posts
Cheers
I’m in Madison, WI so I know about cold winters. Landscape/Snow Removal all my life. I know about hot & cold! ✊🏻
You should be able to get it out of FORM. I don’t believe you can’t. I’m done arguing about it though. I hope you can find a good solution.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’m in Madison, WI so I know about cold winters. Landscape/Snow Removal all my life. I know about hot & cold! ✊🏻
You should be able to get it out of FORM. I don’t believe you can’t. I’m done arguing about it though. I hope you can find a good solution.
I appreciate all your input!!! Of coarse all that was mentioned in this thread are ways to get out of FORM!!! All that was said is great advice. As I am new to the whole electric Jeep thing, if we keep it we will do what Jeep is telling us, which is DO NOTHING!!! Let it run its coarse!!! We are looking into a trade for a Jeep gladiator rubicon. As we have bought a lot of stuff for the Jeep that we can transfer to the gladiator.
Again thanks for all your great advice and information
Cheers

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'd rather Jeep tell us how to get it out of FORM

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe Rubicon
10 Posts
Funny, going back to the

funny!!! Looking to back to a 3.6 v6 platform
Thanks for your reply to my FORM issue on a different thread. This is really disappointing if this was by design and my anti-EV/PHEV ICE loving friends are going to crucify me. I might have to keep this one from them.... :unsure:

1 - 20 of 288 Posts