Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner

261 - 280 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
FORM is an issue I am dealing with in the south. I'm a short distance driver it's one of the reasons I got a 4xe. I knew my 90 day fuel refresh was getting close cause I filled up the day after Christmas after I made a long trip. I use E save and burn gas but it's short trips 10-15 miles one way at most and rarely. I realize now not the way to run the engine in the jeep. today I got the oil changed in the 4xe cause I checked it and it was way over full and strong smell of gas. Just have to remember I need to make longer trips to heat up the oil and do it's thing.
Optionally, just idle it for 20 to 30 minutes with the climate controls off. Works like a charm and barely uses any gas compared to driving it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have hope for wam weather. I live in Alberta and have cold climate. No issue from July to October. Basicly in form since October. Read the forum I have create I explain why it is normal and what to do to get out off 😁. Basicly just need to run supper hot for long enough. 100 degrees for 30 min should do it.
My experience with FORM and FAQ
Thank you!!! I have had FORM, since it first got cold in SK (Oct) I had FORM every single day when the temp is below 10c, I drive less than 30 km's for work, My oil went from 86% to zero in 48 hours, I have an appointment next week at the dealership for this issue, but after finally sifting through these forums I have an answer that makes sense. The day my oil went to 0% I drove it around town for over an hour, my phev kicked in and every thing seems ok, Thanks for taking out the time for those of us who were looking for a solution, much appreciated.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thank you!!! I have had FORM, since it first got cold in SK (Oct) I had FORM every single day when the temp is below 10c, I drive less than 30 km's for work, My oil went from 86% to zero in 48 hours, I have an appointment next week at the dealership for this issue, but after finally sifting through these forums I have an answer that makes sense. The day my oil went to 0% I drove it around town for over an hour, my phev kicked in and every thing seems ok, Thanks for taking out the time for those of us who were looking for a solution, much appreciated.
Actualy this happen to me also. When from 80% to 0 oil life without warning.

Have a read this note from jeep. This mean you were like me in form step 3.

JEEP 4XE Fans | Facebook

·
Registered
767 Posts
rough these forums I have an answer that makes sense. The day my oil went to 0% I drove it around town for over an hour, my phev kicked in and every thing seems ok, Thanks for taking out the time for those o
I live in SK, check out my posts, doesn't matter if you "get out of FORM" if the temperature is too cold the ICE WILL start up and eventually you will be back in FORM again.

There is no solution to the vehicle operating normally. You can get the oil as hot for as long as you want. If the vehicle senses it's too cold outside the ICE starts. It's simply as that AND you can monitor before you start the vehicle whether the ICE will start

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just be aware of what you're doing. The vehicle has triggered that it needs to go into FORM because of fuel dilution in the oil, which can result in a loss of lubrication and eventually severe engine damage. You're tricking it into thinking you have removed the fuel from the oil, while not having done so. Doing that once may not be a big deal, but if you repeatedly do that, you're risking compounding a serious issue.
Had an oil change at 3800 miles and let my gas tank run down to almost empty and got a fill up of premium fuel.... Temp dropped to under 30 the other night and guess what, FORM back on again and won't go away. This thing is a POS. Went from almost 1200 miles on a tank of gas to 270. Hopefully they do a better job with the full EV version in a few years.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What is your mileage now?
4000 ish
This thing just doesn't work when the temps drop It wasn't in FORM after I picked it up from dealer last week when it was still in the 50's.The second it dropped below 30 at night, right back into form it went. It's my fault for not finding this forum earlier and reading about the issue. I have always loved jeeps and thought it would be the best of both worlds, saving on gas and having a fun summer and great winter vehicle. Oh well, I'm going to see what they offer me as a trade for a regular Grand Cherokee L Overland this weekend. At this point I hope to just break even.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
4000 ish
This thing just doesn't work when the temps drop It wasn't in FORM after I picked it up from dealer last week when it was still in the 50's.The second it dropped below 30 at night, right back into form it went. It's my fault for not finding this forum earlier and reading about the issue. I have always loved jeeps and thought it would be the best of both worlds, saving on gas and having a fun summer and great winter vehicle. Oh well, I'm going to see what they offer me as a trade for a regular Grand Cherokee L Overland this weekend. At this point I hope to just break even.
Did they reset the oil monitor when they did the oil change?

A good approach in these situations where form doesn't make sense is hooking up an obd2 reader to figure out what's triggering form/verify its not the coolant heater locked out (which should trigger emu choc, not form).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Did they reset the oil monitor when they did the oil change?

A good approach in these situations where form doesn't make sense is hooking up an obd2 reader to figure out what's triggering form/verify its not the coolant heater locked out (which should trigger emu choc, not form).
yes, it was at 99% when I checked it after it went back into FORM again.
I am going to do the reset because at this point, I don't really care, I am leasing it and I would never buy it out at the end given the issues I am having.
I am waiting on the replacement part for the cabin cooling-heating issue as well that's been happening since day 5 of ownership. Somehow my dealer ordered a part then 4 days of my jeep being in the shop, they tell me Jeep changed the part and they have to order it and it's back ordered with no timetable. Kind of hard to believe the dealer doesn't know which part to order in the first place but that's for another day.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Sounds like you a) know the main problem if your heater is locked out and has been for a while and b) desperately need to find a new dealer that doesn't have their head up their ass.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sounds like you a) know the main problem if your heater is locked out and has been for a while and b) desperately need to find a new dealer that doesn't have their head up their ass.
Yes, but would that issue cause FORM? I don't think so. The Jeep worked flawlessly all summer without a single FORM issue. The second it dropped under 50 at night, it started. I could never turn the AC or heat on without getting the Cabin cooling or heating issue though.

Yes, I contacted Jeep cares who told me they contacted the dealer who told them no part was on order but then, the SAME day I get a call from the dealer that the part is in and to schedule the fix. Then after the jeep being there for 4 days, they call me with the new part excuse. I made the mistake of not leaving the truck there for good so I could get a lemon law attorney.
You live and learn, I'll never buy another EV from them until I see the issues popping up. Love the jeep when it worked great when the weather was nice but kind of defeats the purpose when it turns into a worse MPG than a regular jeep when the weather gets cold.

Happy Thanksgiving

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Yes, but would that issue cause FORM? I don't think so. The Jeep worked flawlessly all summer without a single FORM issue. The second it dropped under 50 at night, it started. I could never turn the AC or heat on without getting the Cabin cooling or heating issue though.

Yes, I contacted Jeep cares who told me they contacted the dealer who told them no part was on order but then, the SAME day I get a call from the dealer that the part is in and to schedule the fix. Then after the jeep being there for 4 days, they call me with the new part excuse. I made the mistake of not leaving the truck there for good so I could get a lemon law attorney.
You live and learn, I'll never buy another EV from them until I see the issues popping up. Love the jeep when it worked great when the weather was nice but kind of defeats the purpose when it turns into a worse MPG than a regular jeep when the weather gets cold.

Happy Thanksgiving
There's been a good amount of overlap between folks having what seems like premature form and emu choc from the coolant heater lockout. Without knowing the specifics of the form algorithm, it is hard to say if there's a casual relationship there or just a correlation, but it's enough of a coincidence that I certainly wouldn't rule out it screwing with the algorithm.

·
Registered
72 Posts
4000 ish
For me not a big of a deal. I had a 2018 JL before my 2021 4xe. This summer between April to October, my actual fuel mileage was 3.81 L/100 km (61.7 Mpg). When engine run due to FORM, my average is 8-9 L/100 km ( 29-26 mpg). My regular wrangler was approx 12-13 L/100 km ( 18-19 mpg).

So moral of story, even when engine is running, it use minimal amount of gas compare to à regular one, and all thw saving in the summer make it even better. It's always an hybrid.

·
Registered
72 Posts

Happy Thanksgiving
Read the response from jeep.
JEEP 4XE Fans | Facebook

FORM will happen more often if the vehicles do short engine start and never reaching high temperature tu burn the excess gas in the oil. It call oil dilution cause by the direct fuel injection. Again, see my last post even in form It use less fuel then a regular wrangler.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
When engine run due to FORM, my average is 8-9 L/100 km ( 29-26 mpg)
This is an interesting one as there's a lot of people that experience what you are... Basically it operates as a blended hybrid and gets much better fuel economy.

On the other hand, you have others that talk about very poor fuel economy, not using the battery, etc.

I do wonder if people with a corresponding locked out electric heater are having reduced electric motor usage due to the inability to perform appropriate thermal management. That would explain the big difference in economy and experience.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Read the response from jeep.
JEEP 4XE Fans | Facebook

FORM will happen more often if the vehicles do short engine start and never reaching high temperature tu burn the excess gas in the oil. It call oil dilution cause by the direct fuel injection. Again, see my last post even in form It use less fuel then a regular wrangler.
OK now explain a brand new oil change and new tank of gas going into FORM?

·
Registered
18 Posts
For me not a big of a deal. I had a 2018 JL before my 2021 4xe. This summer between April to October, my actual fuel mileage was 3.81 L/100 km (61.7 Mpg). When engine run due to FORM, my average is 8-9 L/100 km ( 29-26 mpg). My regular wrangler was approx 12-13 L/100 km ( 18-19 mpg).

So moral of story, even when engine is running, it use minimal amount of gas compare to à regular one, and all thw saving in the summer make it even better. It's always an hybrid.
That's great that you don't care much but I didn't buy the Jeep to not have it work correctly for 4 months of the year. I had a 2007 Wrangler for years and loved it and I love this when it works but let's be honest, there's no reason for it to shut off all electric when it goes below 50 here. Maybe I just got a lemon, who knows.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So I reset the oil percentage number and it works perfect. Took it for a 12 mile drive and only kicked into gas engine once when I accelerated to merge on highway at 80 mph. Went right back to electric only when I let off gas down to 70 mph and stayed that way the whole ride home. I guess I am going to have to keep a sticky note in the car with the real oil level until i get low so I can use electric mode.
it's 41 degrees here today.. Turned the heat on and got the normal cabin heating cooling message of course because that's not fixed but at least if I can keep doing the oil reset, I can use it as I should be able to.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is an interesting one as there's a lot of people that experience what you are... Basically it operates as a blended hybrid and gets much better fuel economy.

On the other hand, you have others that talk about very poor fuel economy, not using the battery, etc.

I do wonder if people with a corresponding locked out electric heater are having reduced electric motor usage due to the inability to perform appropriate thermal management. That would explain the big difference in economy and experience.
Would the electric battery level still go down? My regular drive to work I go from 99 or 100 down to 48 when I get home. A total of about 14-15 miles.
When i get the FORM, my battery is at about 96 or 97 % when I get home and that's running heated seats and wheel, not sure if they use the electric battery or not?

261 - 280 of 288 Posts