Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
281 - 288 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I guess I am going to have to keep a sticky note in the car with the real oil level until i get low so I can use electric mode
Resetting the oil level is telling the vehicle you have no fuel in the oil. Doing so repeatedly is a recipe for motor failure and a voided warranty.

When i get the FORM, my battery is at about 96 or 97 % when I get home and that's running heated seats and wheel, not sure if they use the electric battery or not?
During "normal" form conditions, the battery would still go down, albeit at a much slower rate than if you were in pure electric.

Running the heater, seats, wheel, etc will draw on the battery. If you're only going down a couple percent on your drive, I bet you're not getting much of any power going to the electric motors. Next time you drive in that condition, pull the the hybrid pages and watch the kWh out of the battery while accelerating and see what it shows.

I suspect the coolant heater issue is causing most of your headaches here.

·
Registered
72 Posts
OK now explain a brand new oil change and new tank of gas going into FORM?
Because how old the oil is has noting to do with FORM. As soon as I clear form, it come right back after a few day in my climat and driving habbit. Short engine on without reaching the hot temp cause some fuel to be add into the oil. It has to burn it off. If you never reach the temperature required, the gas keep accumulating in the engine with the oil. Your vehicle is not a lemon and work as it should.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So I reset the oil percentage number and it works perfect. Took it for a 12 mile drive and only kicked into gas engine once when I accelerated to merge on highway at 80 mph. Went right back to electric only when I let off gas down to 70 mph and stayed that way the whole ride home. I guess I am going to have to keep a sticky note in the car with the real oil level until i get low so I can use electric mode.
it's 41 degrees here today.. Turned the heat on and got the normal cabin heating cooling message of course because that's not fixed but at least if I can keep doing the oil reset, I can use it as I should be able to.
Dont reset the oil, as this can cause your warranty cancelation if there is anything wrong with your engine. There is a reason for FORM. Oil dilution. If you clear, the oil dilution will just get worst. It has to burn the excess gas int he oil.

have a read from jeep, it explain what FORM is in detail : JEEP 4XE Fans | Facebook

·
Registered
18 Posts
Because how old the oil is has noting to do with FORM. As soon as I clear form, it come right back after a few day in my climat and driving habbit. Short engine on without reaching the hot temp cause some fuel to be add into the oil. It has to burn it off. If you never reach the temperature required, the gas keep accumulating in the engine with the oil. Your vehicle is not a lemon and work as it should.
I made the same drives since May without any issues until the temp started falling. Once I get the Battery heater issue fixed I am hoping it all goes away. I can deal with the occasional FORM but not every time the temp drops, that's just ridiculous.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I made the same drives since May without any issues until the temp started falling. Once I get the Battery heater issue fixed I am hoping it all goes away. I can deal with the occasional FORM but not every time the temp drops, that's just ridiculous.
Again, it's not the cold. It is a factor yes, and it will be cold all winter long

Once you get form, you need hot enough to burn excess gas. Once clear, if you drive the same way, short engine on, not reaching temp, form will be right back within a week. So no point on fighting it and burn gas to save gas.i do have install a grill cover this years to help me out of it. But no point burning to save.

The is the downside of the direct injection engine. Maybe should get the pure ev one instead.

·
Registered
767 Posts
until the temp started falling
Colder temps do a few things

1. Activate the battery coolant heater (which isn't active in the summer) if it's defective you will get CHOC, this also draws more power from the HV battery reducing range
2. Cooler temperatures can trigger the ICE to run, this is normal. If your trips are normally short and the ICE runs for short periods of time you will get FORM, its normal.

I've posted to death on how the vehicle works in the warm and cold, unless you have a defective coolant heater forcing the ICE on, there is nothing wrong with your vehicle

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Colder temps do a few things
3. Requires a larger injection of fuel on cold start to account for the portion of the fuel charge that condenses on the cylinder wall (and goes directly into the oil)

4. Takes longer for the oil to come to temperature, spending more time running where the net Flux of fuel is into the oil rather than out

281 - 288 of 288 Posts