Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have about 1000 miles on my Sahara 4xe. I had a 240 amp level 2 charger and Juice box installed in my garage. Seems to work perfectly. My concern is that I’ve had several occurrences of the Jeep‘s fan turning on and running at high speed for about 5 seconds while the charge from 0% is happening. I called Wave and they claim they haven’t heard of this. Anyone else have this happen or have a guess about what’s going on? Seems to do this about 30 minutes after being plugged in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So, I have about 1000 miles on my Sahara 4xe. I had a 240 amp level 2 charger and Juice box installed in my garage. Seems to work perfectly. My concern is that I’ve had several occurrences of the Jeep‘s fan turning on and running at high speed for about 5 seconds while the charge from 0% is happening. I called Wave and they claim they haven’t heard of this. Anyone else have this happen or have a guess about what’s going on? Seems to do this about 30 minutes after being plugged in.

This is normal. The Jeep is "conditioning" its battery, which basically means its keeping the battery within a certain temperature range. This will add to the longevity of the battery. Our Jeep is doing this, as did my Chevy Volt that I owned before this vehicle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is normal. The Jeep is "conditioning" its battery, which basically means its keeping the battery within a certain temperature range. This will add to the longevity of the battery. Our Jeep is doing this, as did my Chevy Volt that I owned before this vehicle.
Thanks, I feel much better.

·
Registered
67 Posts
As stated above, the battery needs to stay cool in the summer and warm in the winter. So while charging in warm weather the air conditioner turns on, powered by an electric motor, not the engine, to keep the battery cool. In very cold temperatures the heater will turn on to warm up the battery. You should not hear the heater, as it is electrical heat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah, mine does this. The first time it happened I worried I had triggered self destruct mode. If this happens in the middle of the night, I feel pretty confident the neighbors will call the police, so while it is normal, it is very, very disconcerting with how it spins up like a civil defense siren.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, mine does this. The first time it happened I worried I had triggered self destruct mode. If this happens in the middle of the night, I feel pretty confident the neighbors will call the police, so while it is normal, it is very, very disconcerting with how it spins up like a civil defense siren.
I think this is what I'm experiencing as well. Can you describe what you're hearing? Ours sounds like someone is revving the engine, and it's really loud. If it is the fan, it's a very loud fan.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can you clarify the sound you're hearing when this happens? Mine sounds very loud, like someone is revving the engine. Is this the fan your referring to?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m so glad someone mentioned this. I thought I might have a defect in my vehicle. The first time this happened to my 4xe in the garage I thought it might blow up! It’s happened a few times at startup too. That fan really cranks. Jeep should notify owners of this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just purchased the 4xe and hearing these loud fan noises in the garage almost every 2-3 hrs and its very worrysome. I am not sure if this happens only when plugged in or just all the time. Or if there is something wrong with my Jeep and I need to take it to the dealer. Does everyone hear the fan running multiple times while its plugged in at home?

·
Registered
720 Posts
What is the temperature in your garage? The 4xe will keep the battery in the optimal temperature range when plugged in. The AC is loud when it first comes on but will usually settle down after a minute.

I've had it happen a couple times. But usually only after a long drive, hot day and after an hour or so of level 2 charging.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Totally normal. In the summer in Arizona, I roll down my rear Windows when I park it in the garage and plug in my Juice Box.. Does it really help.. Don’t know, but it can’t hurt. It still turns on the cooling system, occasionally.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What is the temperature in your garage? The 4xe will keep the battery in the optimal temperature range when plugged in. The AC is loud when it first comes on but will usually settle down after a minute.

I've had it happen a couple times. But usually only after a long drive, hot day and after an hour or so of level 2 charging.
Not sure exactly what the temperature in the garage is but its warm. Since everyone says its normal it gives me some peace of mind. I am trying to open up my windows to see if that helps since my Jeep is also black and it gets extra toasty. Mine goes off constantly while its in the garage so thats why i asked. Thank you.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Not sure exactly what the temperature in the garage is but its warm. Since everyone says its normal it gives me some peace of mind. I am trying to open up my windows to see if that helps since my Jeep is also black and it gets extra toasty. Mine goes off constantly while its in the garage so thats why i asked. Thank you.
I don't know if it should be constant but I guess it depends on the temp. I know the US west coast and Arizona have been insanely hot this summer.

My garage is usually in the 85-95F (29.4-35C) degree range and it's rare for my AC to come on full tilt. Currently my EVSE is registering 86F and charging with no AC. If mine comes on it's usually only loud for about a minute.

I'd think about getting it looked at just in case. If you haven't had the software updates and recall work done it may be worth it just to get that all done.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't know if it should be constant but I guess it depends on the temp. I know the US west coast and Arizona have been insanely hot this summer.

My garage is usually in the 85-95F (29.4-35C) degree range and it's rare for my AC to come on full tilt. Currently my EVSE is registering 86F and charging with no AC. If mine comes on it's usually only loud for about a minute.

I'd think about getting it looked at just in case. If you haven't had the software updates and recall work done it may be worth it just to get that all done.
Thank you so much for your help. I will get it checked just in case like you said.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts