Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using only electric mode for a while. I figured I would use hybrid for a bit to stress test my 4xe, given all the issues being reported.

Something I've noticed is the first time the engine comes on is somewhere around or after 96% when I am slowing down or coming to a stop. This is counter to when the engine usually comes on in hybrid operation. Do any of you notice this? I'm not sure what's goin on other than perhaps an engine warmup.

I've had two identical trips and the engine came on at the exact same spot both times.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've never had mine turn on during deceleration. In fact, it's usually the opposite. Mine usually shuts off during deceleration.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was driving easy, so that might have something to do with it. The fact it happened in the exact same spot got me wondering. But I've noticed a couple other times the same thing happening. Always while slowing down and coming to a stop. It didn't make any sense to me as to why it was turning on at those moments when little power was needed. If I stop for a few minutes and drive again it doesn't seem to happen.

It might just be a little maintenance thing to flow the oil and warm the engine. In that case it makes sense as it might be using regenerative energy to start the motor for free and let it run without load.

See if you can drive easy in hybrid until you get to 96% or under. I don't think it would make a good video though, lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
yeah break that sucker in! The owner's manual even confirmed something I've always believed in... that going WOT during breakin period is a GOOD THING. Helps seat the piston rings and cross hatch the cylinder walls. I learned that back in my BMW days, the whole idea "drive super gentle and don't go over 3k RPMs the first 1k miles" is nonsense and outdated. Machine tolerances are so much tighter in modern cars what you really need is an italian tuneup while the engine is new.

Of course only do this after engine is FULLY warmed up, never go WOT while cold thats bad no matter how many miles you have.

But once its warm even if it only has 50 miles on the odometer go find a nice long hill and buildup that cylinder temp :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts