Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen videos for a non-4xe JL of fitting the freedom top panels in the storage bag and the way they can fit in the back laying down. The 4xe appears to have this cover behind the seats that cause the panels to jut out just enough that I can't close the door - Meaning the only way for them to be back there is to prop the panels upright and strap them to the back seats (which is fine if I need to store other stuff). Has anyone else tried this? Does that back cover need to be removed or is it due to the battery?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Good question. Oddly enough, the link Jeep provides to the Wrangler 4xe Owners Manual point you to a general one for the entire JL Wrangler model lineup with not one mention of the 4xe. In it they provide these storage instructions.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good question. Oddly enough, the link Jeep provides to the Wrangler 4xe Owners Manual point you to a general one for the entire JL Wrangler model lineup with not one mention of the 4xe. In it they provide these storage instructions.
View attachment 215
Thanks for pointing that out! Yeah I guess in the 4xe - what’s in the manual is the only way now.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was surprised to find recently that they will indeed lay completely flat if you lay them a certain way on the right side they will just fit, this was with the panels laying on top of each other without using the storage bag, haven’t tried but I think the storage bag will push it out too far to lay completely flat

·
Registered
56 Posts
Bumping this thread BACK to the top — I just picked up my 4XE a few days ago, and Cleveland, Ohio USA is having some unseasonable weather for late October. Today it should exceed 70F as it did yesterday. I had removed my freedom panels yesterday, had watched JL videos before, and expected to fit the panels in the Mopar case laying flat. Only to find out they DONT fit because of that above mentioned panel (PHEV/hybrid batteries clearly causing the issue).

QUESTION — what solution have people found, if any, for this matter? I really do NOT want/like having the panels vertical— i want them to lay flat. I did not try but based on what @JeepNerd wrote above and based on my visual, I agree that the panels -should- fit w/o the case (its the black “foam” in the Mopar case that is added extra length/depth causing issue here, but also providing obviously added protection). What are people doing here?

(basically my goal is to 1- not leave panels at home but have with me while 2- having them lay flat in trunk)

I’m tempted to pick up the MasterTop (see link below) and try this out. Has anyone tried this? Seems like it is a more skimpy option, maybe not quite as nice as the Mopar included carry case… but since it lacks the black styrofoam part, it may fit laying flat? Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Why does everyone want them flat?

In our current JLUR we have them vertical all the time in the bag. They're protected being the biggest issue, but then it allows us to bring our tote with our rocking beach chairs, sweatshirts, air pump, etc. And then anything else we want to put in the back as well, with a little less space but zero worry about damaging the panels.

·
Registered
56 Posts
@IdahoJOAT — everyone’s use case is different. I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve hauled stuff in any of my vehicles. We tend to use my wife’s vehicle for family trips etc. So for me 99% of my driving is me, alone, with NO payload in the car. I’d rather have the rear visibility unscathed — Plus b/c of the way the OE fits vertically, it rattles. It is a poor design. And it has more potential for damage standing upright than flat, IMO.

Again, to each their own… I can appreciate that the vertical option provides you more space in the trunk/cargo area for “stuff” — but for me that is not applicable, and the loss of rear visibility does not do me any justice for my personal needs.

·
Registered
276 Posts
@IdahoJOAT — everyone’s use case is different. I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve hauled stuff in any of my vehicles. We tend to use my wife’s vehicle for family trips etc. So for me 99% of my driving is me, alone, with NO payload in the car. I’d rather have the rear visibility unscathed — Plus b/c of the way the OE fits vertically, it rattles. It is a poor design. And it has more potential for damage standing upright than flat, IMO.

Again, to each their own… I can appreciate that the vertical option provides you more space in the trunk/cargo area for “stuff” — but for me that is not applicable, and the loss of rear visibility does not do me any justice for my personal needs.
While I don't agree that they're more prone to damage vertical than horizontal, I do understand the visibility and the 99% of the time points, for sure.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Wrap the strap around the seats as described in the manual but then pull the bottom of the bag towards the rear and leave the bag sitting at an angle. It's out of your line of sight and if you aren't carrying any cargo back there, it works.
The point of the bag in the first place is to keep the panels from being damaged when they are off. Probably makes no difference if they are vertical, flat or in between.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.