Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, put gas in my Sahara for the first time on the weekend. Was able to travel just over 800km (~500 miles) on the first tank, with my consumption at about 8.8L/100km and still dropping. I'm pretty happy with that so far.
Ran into this issue though - since I filled up with "premium" gas on Saturday, my Jeep goes directly into "Fuel and Oil Refresh Mode" once started. Wtf?? It will only run on gas now.
Wondering if anyone else has experienced this or not?
The manual suggests adding at least 4 gallons of gas to get out of it ( "if" the mode was enabled because of stale gas).
Otherwise, it will turn off once the gas light comes on after burning through the current tank of gas.
If it was triggered because of engine lubrication then it is supposed to turn off after 20 min of continuous engine running.
I've tried reseating the fuel cap, switching through all driving modes, but that's about it...what else can a person do?
Tonight I will add some more gas (just didn't have time to burn through a quarter tank or so yet).
FIrst thought was bad gas possibly? I mean, I guess its possible but come on...is this thing going to be that sensitive?
Will give an update later this evening after adding more gas.

·
Registered
263 Posts
It did that after adding premium fuel? Now that’s interesting. We’ve had some discussions in the Wrangler 4XE Fans group about premium fuel. The gas only owners manual says that you can use either low octane or premium. But the 4XE supplement just suggests using 87 and we’ve wondered about that. Sort of wondering if the premium fuel causes issues with some sensor or something.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Interesting...My guess is this has more to do with maintaining fresh fuel and circulating engine oil than it has to do with the grade of fuel (i.e. premium vs. regular). As the 4xe is biased to run on electric, for short trips less one could be in a situation when the gas engine hardly ever runs which applies to my use case. Gasoline and oil both have a shelf life (gasoline immediate vs. oil once put into use) and most areas have varying fuel blends depending on the season and ambient temperatures. It would not surprise me if there is a 4xe algorithm that tracks gas engine usage and a "fuel and oil refresh" mode to burn through stale fuel to prevent problems associated with stale gas and oil. I am trying to encourage my 4xe to run through the first tank of gas and found that moving the shifter into 'manual shift sport mode' is the only way to keep the engine running in an attempt to burn through my gasoline. Once I empty the tank, I will add Stabil to a full tank of premium fuel or ethanol-free marine gas and then let the 4xe follow it's regular programming.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Perhaps that gas wasn't as premium as it should have been? I've heard plenty of stories about water in the fuel from the station.

The difference in the manuals caught my interest too. 87 seemed to be the recommended but then it also said 91 or higher was beneficial to the 2.0, especially in hot climates, in the original manual.

It may just be the engine doesn't have to work as hard with the hybrid setup so the engineers felt it wasn't worth it in this powertrain? Although, isn't ECU timing bigger on the low/mid end with higher octane?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, after burning through a half tank or so, I stopped to top it up with premium again.
Different station though.
The second I started it after filling with gas, it went into hybrid mode with no errors.
Has been fine ever since.

·
Registered
597 Posts
There is some great engineering in this system. I've known a couple people that have have gotten bad gas, to the point there was engine damage was done. I had a co-worker who had his BMW X5 in the shop for a whole month after getting bad gas. Perhaps the software caught something?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hello, all.

We understand why this message may be concerning, but the vehicle is operating as designed.

For some clarity, "Fuel and Oil Refresh" mode is a function that monitors the oil dilution and stale fuel over time. Every time the engine starts, fuel that is not burned can accumulate oil; in Hybrids the engine stop and starts are more frequent and the fuel can accumulate oil at a faster rate. That said, the "Fuel and Oil Refresh" function forces the engine to to refresh and thus avoids the accumulation and promotes the dissipation of the fuel in the oil.

For more information on this, I will link the "Hybrid Supplement" Manual and the accompanying page below.

If any of you have further questions or concerns, we recommend first reviewing the Owner's Manual and then speaking with your servicing/selling dealer.

Thanks!
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
2021 JLU 4xe HA
26 Posts
Hi guys, mines been in refresh mode for about 5 days even though I had ran the engine for more than 20 min in stop and go the other day.
I can start it in electric, but as soon as the engine kicks in for any reason (usually accelerating to fast), it goes into refresh. My normal commute is only about 15min, I run hybrid, but it stays mainly in electric (80/20). Maybe I need to go on a longer drive.

·
Registered
2021 JLU 4xe HA
26 Posts
UPDATE: I drove the car home from work, about 20 min, and was still getting the fuel and oil refresh. Getting frustrated I called Jeep and of course they didn't know how long it would take to reset and told me to bring it in. I figured all service would do is a longer drive as a test. SO, I kept it in idle in the driveway for about 15min, then drove about 30min to run an errand. On the way home it finally cut to electric while at low speed. I pushed the electric button to confirm and it looks like its resolved. That just seems like an excessive amount of time and effort to clear the refresh. I guess the moral of the story is if you get the notice, drive the car for more than 30min in one go to clear.

·
Registered
170 Posts
We got this message yesterday, started, flashed up, immediately fired up the ICE (even though it was in Hybrid mode), hahaha, I was like, "WTF is all the noise?" :D

Wife took the little G to the dentist, short trip, maybe 8-9 miles, and she said just before she got there, the ICE shutdown, back to glorious battery only. Today, since there was the threat of rain (we leave the top off 98% of the time ...), she took the Tesla, and I popped up to the grocery for a couple of supplies (figured I could make the 3-1/2 mile round trip between rain, I did!), stayed on the whole time.

Here's the thing: we haven't driven it very much, and in just sat for the last 10-11 days or so (we were traveling in the other car), and this is the same tank of gas we've had in it for like 2 months (it's at about 3/4).

I guess I need to think about using it more, gas sitting in the tank for weeks, maybe some stabilizer[?]

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
520 Posts
I put stabilizer in and got this message for about 4 days straight of short trips under 20 miles. It just keeps burning my SeaFoam & 93 octane gas like it’s stale. It’s used up 1/3 tank before I said screw this, and put 5 gallons of 87 octane in there. Over 4 gallons is supposed to stop the fuel and oil refresh. We will see next time out if it just burns electric for me. No use putting in 93 octane if it’s gonna just burn it up for no reason. I’ll just use the additive once in a while.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I recall seeing elsewhere on a thread or in one of the expert videos that the function of burning off the 'stale fuel' is based on time and the fuel level (i.e. having not added sufficient 'fresh' fuel). There is no intelligent sensor that actually determines the quality of the fuel - it is just burned off to prevent all of the issues that arise from stale fuel regardless of additives and stabilizers. I still think adding the stabilizers will help keep the ethanol from separating and avoid other issues that arise from stale fuel.

·
Registered
170 Posts
@Hybrid3.0 Ahh, yeah, I would suspect it's a pretty simple system. I mean, ours kicked in after sitting for 10-11 days, I don't think there was any analysis other than X days of non-use + some existing data around mileage/runtime/fuel-level = trigger mode.

·
Registered
88 Posts
@JeepCares
Thank you for the fuel/oil explanation. This kind of interaction and feedback is helpful. As well as posting up the hybrid supplement which doesnt seem to be available under the My Mopar App. Just the standard 2021 Jeep Wrangler manual is available.

Could you define "extended periods of time" for us? Or at least ballpark it. Are we talking days of no engine operation or weeks or months to have created conditions for stale fuel. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts