Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
705 Posts
I pretty much came to the conclusion that my FORM popped up and stayed on trip after trip because of the oil refresh. Since I had gassed up with 8 gal of premium after I got the FORM. So I tried what the dude in the Pacifica Hybrid Forum suggested… Started driving around and drove fast enough to engage ICE knowing it would enter FORM again and to get the oil temp ( as seen in the Off Road Pages App ) up to 190*. Took about 15 min because temp outside was 44*. Then parked in my garage and turned off the climate control. I kept watching the oil temp… after 10 min it started to climb to 200* then another 10 min to 208-210*. So I’m thinking it’s not working because after 5 min of this the ICE is still running. It’s supposed to shut off when oil refresh conditions are met. So I’m like, I’ll let the oil stay hot awhile thinking it takes time at those temps to actually burn off excess fuel in the oil. So sure enough 5 min later the ICE shuts off on its own! Jeep still running on battery as I’m almost fully charged. Now I didn’t feel like turning it off and back on to go for a drive to actually see if it worked, but I’m 99% sure this did the trick. I’ll post tomorrow after going for a drive. Pray for me…

·
Registered
68 Posts
So did someone say letting it idle for an extended time with ice running so as to not have the radiator cool the engine? Therefore heating the oil and cleaning unspent fuel from the oil?? Is this correct??
I've done that as well then drove it 30km to work. Would finally go into hybrid/electric BUT my concern is that once the gas engine kicks in, it won't go back to hybrid/electric

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
705 Posts
I pretty much came to the conclusion that my FORM popped up and stayed on trip after trip because of the oil refresh. Since I had gassed up with 8 gal of premium after I got the FORM. So I tried what the dude in the Pacifica Hybrid Forum suggested… Started driving around and drove fast enough to engage ICE knowing it would enter FORM again and to get the oil temp ( as seen in the Off Road Pages App ) up to 190*. Took about 15 min because temp outside was 44*. Then parked in my garage and turned off the climate control. I kept watching the oil temp… after 10 min it started to climb to 200* then another 10 min to 208-210*. So I’m thinking it’s not working because after 5 min of this the ICE is still running. It’s supposed to shut off when oil refresh conditions are met. So I’m like, I’ll let the oil stay hot awhile thinking it takes time at those temps to actually burn off excess fuel in the oil. So sure enough 5 min later the ICE shuts off on its own! Jeep still running on battery as I’m almost fully charged. Now I didn’t feel like turning it off and back on to go for a drive to actually see if it worked, but I’m 99% sure this did the trick. I’ll post tomorrow after going for a drive. Pray for me…
Ok so, drove the Jeep today and punched the accelerator to get 🧊 to engage. It did and then turned off again! Woohoo… FORM now done.
So to recap:when FORM pops up on your screen it can be for either fuel refresh or oil maintenance. With fuel maintenance it will run through quite a bit of gas, I believe to when fuel level warns you of low fuel. You can exit the FORM by adding at least 4 gallons of fresh gas before the fuel level gets to low. If you do this and the 🧊 keeps staying on on subsequent trips your FORM is on for oil refresh. You can exit this refresh by resetting the oil life gauge(I’ve not tried this, but it was mentioned as a fix) or by running the engine at oil temperatures above 205* for what seems to be 10-20 minutes. For me I determined it was between 205-210* for 10 min and the 🧊 shut itself off thereby finishing the oil refresh process. Most of the time the only way to get oil temps this high is to let the Jeep idle after driving it for awhile. Or letting it idle for a long time. The reason for this being…the coolant does a great job of keeping the engine oil at 200* or below for most driving conditions. So when your not driving around, the engine doesn’t cool itself as well. When I turned off the climate control in the Jeep the engine heated up faster. Not sure why but it was suggested and seemed to work. Again, I was watching the oil temp in the Off Road Pages App. under the gauges heading. Not sure of another way.
My conclusion is that Jeep bungled this FORM badly. I could literally drive around til I was blue in the face and never get rid of the Oil Refresh Mode, because the engine temps never get hot enough to satisfy the conditions needed to exit the Mode.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ok so, drove the Jeep today and punched the accelerator to get 🧊 to engage. It did and then turned off again! Woohoo… FORM now done.
So to recap:when FORM pops up on your screen it can be for either fuel refresh or oil maintenance. With fuel maintenance it will run through quite a bit of gas, I believe to when fuel level warns you of low fuel. You can exit the FORM by adding at least 4 gallons of fresh gas before the fuel level gets to low. If you do this and the 🧊 keeps staying on on subsequent trips your FORM is on for oil refresh. You can exit this refresh by resetting the oil life gauge(I’ve not tried this, but it was mentioned as a fix) or by running the engine at oil temperatures above 205* for what seems to be 10-20 minutes. For me I determined it was between 205-210* for 10 min and the 🧊 shut itself off thereby finishing the oil refresh process. Most of the time the only way to get oil temps this high is to let the Jeep idle after driving it for awhile. Or letting it idle for a long time. The reason for this being…the coolant does a great job of keeping the engine oil at 200* or below for most driving conditions. So when your not driving around, the engine doesn’t cool itself as well. When I turned off the climate control in the Jeep the engine heated up faster. Not sure why but it was suggested and seemed to work. Again, I was watching the oil temp in the Off Road Pages App. under the gauges heading. Not sure of another way.
My conclusion is that Jeep bungled this FORM badly. I could literally drive around til I was blue in the face and never get rid of the Oil Refresh Mode, because the engine temps never get hot enough to satisfy the conditions needed to exit the Mode.
Well thats good! I've never had my heat on or ac, I only have 2100km so the oil life is still at 75%. I think I've only put about 150km on the actual gas engine itself. Gas here is fuckin rediculous at $1.67 for midgrade. What fuel do you in it? 87, 91..??

·
Registered
68 Posts
Always Mobil 91-93.
Iwashed my beast and installed my angry grill lol, I put it in e save and let it idle the whole time, about 40min. It finally shutoff and went to electric. I'll take it out later tonight and see what happens. Weird that you'd have to let it sit and idle for 30 min once or twice a month so this doesn't happen...😒🙄 especially seeing as I'm in canada and we are headed into the winter and cold months ahead

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
705 Posts
Iwashed my beast and installed my angry grill lol, I put it in e save and let it idle the whole time, about 40min. It finally shutoff and went to electric. I'll take it out later tonight and see what happens. Weird that you'd have to let it sit and idle for 30 min once or twice a month so this doesn't happen...😒🙄 especially seeing as I'm in canada and we are headed into the winter and cold months ahead
I think it’s only supposed to happen every 90 days.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I received my 4xe in July and still had about 3/4 tank of the original gas the dealer put in it. I had gone ~1600 miles before the refresh fuel and oil message came on mid October and wouldn't turn off until I put in 4 gallons. I am currently running in e-save mode to get he gas down to 1/4 tank before switching back to all electric.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I received my 4xe in July and still had about 3/4 tank of the original gas the dealer put in it. I had gone ~1600 miles before the refresh fuel and oil message came on mid October and wouldn't turn off until I put in 4 gallons. I am currently running in e-save mode to get he gas down to 1/4 tank before switching back to all electric.
Put it in esave,let it sit and idle in your driveway till it shutsdown. Then drive it on the hwy for about 15km... it'll be fixed

·
Registered
868 Posts
The oil temperature is also available in the instrument cluster under the Vehicle Info screen. I find it a little less clunky.

I suspect over the coming months and winter, we are going to start seeing quite a few complaints about the 4xe not exiting refresh mode. I've really only run my engine for length on 3 occasions: driving home from the dealer, off-roading in sand, and on a trip up to northwest Georgia.

It seems like there should be programming to elevate the temperature when in oil refresh.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, put gas in my Sahara for the first time on the weekend. Was able to travel just over 800km (~500 miles) on the first tank, with my consumption at about 8.8L/100km and still dropping. I'm pretty happy with that so far.
Ran into this issue though - since I filled up with "premium" gas on Saturday, my Jeep goes directly into "Fuel and Oil Refresh Mode" once started. Wtf?? It will only run on gas now.
Wondering if anyone else has experienced this or not?
The manual suggests adding at least 4 gallons of gas to get out of it ( "if" the mode was enabled because of stale gas).
Otherwise, it will turn off once the gas light comes on after burning through the current tank of gas.
If it was triggered because of engine lubrication then it is supposed to turn off after 20 min of continuous engine running.
I've tried reseating the fuel cap, switching through all driving modes, but that's about it...what else can a person do?
Tonight I will add some more gas (just didn't have time to burn through a quarter tank or so yet).
FIrst thought was bad gas possibly? I mean, I guess its possible but come on...is this thing going to be that sensitive?
Will give an update later this evening after adding more gas.
I experienced the exact same thing. Was doing fine until I added premium gas. I have now been running on gas for 4 days !!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I experienced the exact same thing. Was doing fine until I added premium gas. I have now been running on gas for 4 days !!!
Just a coincidence of timing bro, has nothing to do with the premium. Let it sit and idle in your driveway for 30min then drive it on the hwy for about 15miles in esave.. should fix it

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
705 Posts
Just a coincidence of timing bro, has nothing to do with the premium. Let it sit and idle in your driveway for 30min then drive it on the hwy for about 15miles in esave.. should fix it
I thought the same. I just filled up with premium gas and my damn Jeep went into FORM again for the second time in a month. This is some BS! Could not have been for fuel refresh because I put in 12 gallons and FORM came on after I gased up and right when the engine started up on the highway. Pisses me off! So I let it idle in the open garage when I got home. Oil temps to 210 for 20 min and then the whole Jeep shut off. Thought I fixed it… went to drive it to see if the engine would stay on and FORM would pop up again, and damn it, it popped up again. So I let it idle again and this time after 15 min the engine turned off but the Jeep remained on so I knew it was fixed. This thing is a pita! I wasn’t about to let it turn the engine on every drive either and burn my premium fuel again like last time. They have a glitch in the system or it’s just too aggressive with how it determines when FORM needs to come on.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I thought the same. I just filled up with premium gas and my damn Jeep went into FORM again for the second time in a month. This is some BS! Could not have been for fuel refresh because I put in 12 gallons and FORM came on after I gased up and right when the engine started up on the highway. Pisses me off! So I let it idle in the open garage when I got home. Oil temps to 210 for 20 min and then the whole Jeep shut off. Thought I fixed it… went to drive it to see if the engine would stay on and FORM would pop up again, and damn it, it popped up again. So I let it idle again and this time after 15 min the engine turned off but the Jeep remained on so I knew it was fixed. This thing is a pita! I wasn’t about to let it turn the engine on every drive either and burn my premium fuel again like last time. They have a glitch in the system or it’s just too aggressive with how it determines when FORM needs to come on.
Ya they definitely need to fine tune it. But after it idles for 30 min, take it out for a good burn on the hwy for a good run...

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have run through three fuel fills at 93 (to about half way), gone on a handful of 30 - 40 minute rides and I am still stuck in refresh mode for a few weeks now.

I brought it to my dealership so see if there was anyway to reset the program it was stuck in, or give me a direction on exactly what I needed to do to get back to a normal state, but they didn't have any input...I have to fill up again today, so after doing so I will let it run in my drive way for a while.

The way they set this up is really a total failure. I get what they were trying to do, but without any sort of communication or explanation, it effectively just defeats the purpose of owning a PHEV.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have run through three fuel fills at 93 (to about half way), gone on a handful of 30 - 40 minute rides and I am still stuck in refresh mode for a few weeks now.

I brought it to my dealership so see if there was anyway to reset the program it was stuck in, or give me a direction on exactly what I needed to do to get back to a normal state, but they didn't I have fill up again today, so I after doing so I will let it run in my drive way for a while.

The way they set this up is really a total failure. I get what they were trying to do, but without any sort of communication or explanation, it effectively just defeats the purpose of owning a PHEV.
Let it idle in your driveway till it shuts down then drive it for a bit. The key is the oil temp has to hit over 200 and it usually won't while driving.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts