Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
705 Posts
That's what I am going to do...appreciate it.
Last time I had to let it idle twice. The first time the whole Jeep shut off… meaning it didn’t work. Still don’t understand really. Then drove it around again and let it sit again for like 20 min at 205-210. That’s what it takes. Make sure you have enough battery so when it shuts the motor off, the Jeep is still running on electric. Then you’ll know you refreshed it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ours started doing it yesterday. I looked at the owner's manual, 4XE supplement. It takes 20 minutes running at operating temp to get out of this mode or add at least 4 gallons of gas. However, it also says adding gas won't kick it... anyway, I know I haven't had it at operating temp for >20 minutes. Added just over 4 gallons, since that was all there was room for.... However it also says it might run until you hit the low fuel warning....so we shall see. Anyway it isn't a defect or an issue, just have to meet the criteria. Plan to take it for a good run tomorrow and also run the gas engine a bit more than we have up to now.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe Rubicon
5 Posts
FORM came on my 4xe Rubi 2 weeks ago. Due to the colder weather these days in NJ, the only way I could get the oil temp past 200 degrees was to run it manually up to 5th gear on the highway. I got it to 208 degrees and ran it for 10-15 minutes above 200 degrees. I thought I was in the clear. The next morning, I started in EV and after hitting the gas pedal, the FORM warning came back on and I was back to all-gas. I'm still at a half a tank of gas so I'll keep running it down to 1/4 tank or less and refuel. As others have said, the algorithm needs to be tweaked/updated. It's pretty frustrating to be forced to run on gas on a 4xe.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
705 Posts
FORM came on my 4xe Rubi 2 weeks ago. Due to the colder weather these days in NJ, the only way I could get the oil temp past 200 degrees was to run it manually up to 5th gear on the highway. I got it to 208 degrees and ran it for 10-15 minutes above 200 degrees. I thought I was in the clear. The next morning, I started in EV and after hitting the gas pedal, the FORM warning came back on and I was back to all-gas. I'm still at a half a tank of gas so I'll keep running it down to 1/4 tank or less and refuel. As others have said, the algorithm needs to be tweaked/updated. It's pretty frustrating to be forced to run on gas on a 4xe.
Yeah, it’s really frustrating and defeats the whole purpose of the Jeep.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Manual says it needs to be run at least 20 minutes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good morning everyone.
I know that these posts are pretty old, but i am hoping that they are still being followed.

So...
To touch on the fuel and oil refresh mode.
My jeep just started doing this, this week. This is my first winter with the jeep. And i am extremely annoyed with it..
I did an auto start on monday, and it was the first snowfall. So it was cold out.
when i started driving, it went into this stupid mode.
it says its still in hybrid mode, but when you get to a stop, the engine keeps running. Retarded...
I tried clearing any cel's that might have came up. I have the tazer for that.
Didnt work.
i am going to try removing the tazer from the vehicle tonight and see what happens in the morning.
I drive the highway to work everyday, and i am constantly using gas. So i dont know why this is kicking in. This is bullshit.

Has anyone else had this happen?
Do i need to take the jeep in for some sort of service??

Thanks for any help.
:)

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
705 Posts
Good morning everyone.
I know that these posts are pretty old, but i am hoping that they are still being followed.

So...
To touch on the fuel and oil refresh mode.
My jeep just started doing this, this week. This is my first winter with the jeep. And i am extremely annoyed with it..
I did an auto start on monday, and it was the first snowfall. So it was cold out.
when i started driving, it went into this stupid mode.
it says its still in hybrid mode, but when you get to a stop, the engine keeps running. Retarded...
I tried clearing any cel's that might have came up. I have the tazer for that.
Didnt work.
i am going to try removing the tazer from the vehicle tonight and see what happens in the morning.
I drive the highway to work everyday, and i am constantly using gas. So i dont know why this is kicking in. This is bullshit.

Has anyone else had this happen?
Do i need to take the jeep in for some sort of service??

Thanks for any help.
:)
Read through the whole thread. It tells how to get rid of this. Resetting the oil life will do it also evidently. I haven’t done that. Taking it in for service won’t help. You gotta get the oil temp above 208ish for 20 min. Letting it idle in the garage or maybe a do it yourself car wash bay ( some place out of the cold ) until the engine shuts off and the Jeep stays on so you know it worked. There’s a few threads on this now, so read up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine has been stuck in this mode every day for over a week. My commute is not long, so I took my 4xe to my Mom's yesterday for dinner. It is a 45min drive. Stayed in Refresh mode the whole way. Same on the way home. Still in it on the way to work today. Kind of frustrating.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine has been stuck in this mode every day for over a week. My commute is not long, so I took my 4xe to my Mom's yesterday for dinner. It is a 45min drive. Stayed in Refresh mode the whole way. Same on the way home. Still in it on the way to work today. Kind of frustrating.
See shakes answer, quick way out is rest oil life to 100%, but take precautions doing it. Because like shake says you need to heat up the oil to get rid of the gas that leaks past the rings.
Cheers

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just by reading this thread and the timing of these posts, it seems that this is a seasonally driven issue (in part). My jeep was in fuel and oil refresh mode all week.

First attempt at getting out of the mode was adding 3/4 tank of fresh fuel - No luck

Next attempt was to get the oil up to temp ~ 200f for as long as it took until the car turned off. I was outside idling for about 35 minutes. Oil temps hovering from 195-210f, but not sustaining above 205 as it was 32f outside (0c). - No luck

Third attempt was to attempt this in my parking garage. Which was successful in getting the oil temps up to 205+ for over 30 minutes of idling. But after sitting for 35 minutes with the engine not shutting off or leaving the refresh mode, I had to continue on with my drive. - No luck (this was a surprise as from what I had read; both on the forum, and in the manual, this was the golden ticket)

After I believe I had met all of the criteria set out in the user manual, I finally caved and reset the oil life meter, which did the trick. - Huge succes

My jeep is @ 1600kms (1000mi for you freedom folk) and just started the 3rd tank of gas for reference.

I really don’t know why the refresh didn’t terminate itself, but it seems to me like there are some programming changes that need to be made to allow this system to be effective in cooler climates and less obstructive to the day-to-day of these wonderful creatures.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe Rubicon
5 Posts
Update on my FORM - I followed the thread recommended by Shakes but only drove for 10 minutes with the oil temp around 200-205 degrees F. It didn't work. A few days later, I drove around 15-20 minutes around 200-208 degrees F for 20 minutes. Because the weather in Northern NJ is cold, I had to run the Jeep in manual mode in the freeway to keep no higher than 5th gear in order to keep the oil temp above 200 degrees F. Allowing the Jeep to downshift to gears 6-7-8 on the freeway ended up lowering the temperature under 200. I then let the Jeep idle in the driveway for another 10 minutes at over 200 degrees until it did an auto-shutoff. I took it out for a spin and everything seems to have reset correctly. Hybrid/EV mode functions as it should and FORM doesn't come on anymore. This has been a helpful thread! Thanks Shakes and all.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Update on my FORM - I followed the thread recommended by Shakes but only drove for 10 minutes with the oil temp around 200-205 degrees F. It didn't work. A few days later, I drove around 15-20 minutes around 200-208 degrees F for 20 minutes. Because the weather in Northern NJ is cold, I had to run the Jeep in manual mode in the freeway to keep no higher than 5th gear in order to keep the oil temp above 200 degrees F. Allowing the Jeep to downshift to gears 6-7-8 on the freeway ended up lowering the temperature under 200. I then let the Jeep idle in the driveway for another 10 minutes at over 200 degrees until it did an auto-shutoff. I took it out for a spin and everything seems to have reset correctly. Hybrid/EV mode functions as it should and FORM doesn't come on anymore. This has been a helpful thread! Thanks Shakes and all.
Great, now I just have to find the time to do the same.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi guys

I'm 3 months in since I got the 4xe, so FORM has started for me too.

Problem is, max temp is -5C these days (around 25F) and night temps are around -15C (around 5F). So... I may try to heat the oil to 210F for 20 minutes, but it will be difficult in a driveway and maybe dangerous in a half closed public parking. Can I try my best and then reset the oil life meter ? I know it's cheating, but it's not that bad if I clear the maximum gas from the oil beforehand ?

Oh, and obviously, I'll burn some gas and then put 5 gallons of fresh new gas, I have 1500 miles and still at 75% of the gas tank !

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
705 Posts
Hi guys

I'm 3 months in since I got the 4xe, so FORM has started for me too.

Problem is, max temp is -5C these days (around 25F) and night temps are around -15C (around 5F). So... I may try to heat the oil to 210F for 20 minutes, but it will be difficult in a driveway and maybe dangerous in a half closed public parking. Can I try my best and then reset the oil life meter ? I know it's cheating, but it's not that bad if I clear the maximum gas from the oil beforehand ?

Oh, and obviously, I'll burn some gas and then put 5 gallons of fresh new gas, I have 1500 miles and still at 75% of the gas tank !
Best to meet conditions to get out of FORM. Find some place out of the weather or as I suggested earlier somewhere, a do it yourself car wash bay. Leave one end open or the doors open 1/4 way. Let it idle after driving to raise the oil temp. 20 min at 208-210. Or just reset the oil life. Whatever works 😁

·
Registered
16 Posts
Great, now I just have to find the time to do the same.
Or just reset your oil use monitor back to 100%. Just keep track of when to change oil. There is no way I’m burning that much gas just to satisfy a faulty FORM program. At only 2500kms if that much gas from an engine that hardly runs has leaked into my oil…we have much bigger problems!!! Lol

61 - 80 of 92 Posts