Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picking up on a thread from @Wrangler4XEFan from a couple months ago, I wanted to relay my real world experience so far after 661 miles, at roughly 1/3 of a tank of gas left from the original full tank. Caveat - this isn't precise and my math may be wrong, but I thought I would share what I'm seeing.

From the price sticker, Jeep says 68 kW-hrs per 100 electric miles. This turns out for me to be about $9 in electricity costs for 100 miles in my area. With Gas at about $3, that's a 40% fuel savings for 'all electric' city driving at current prices vs the 5 gallons 'gas only' at 20MPG, also from the sticker.

I've also been achieving much better than 20 MPG with the 'gas' driving I've been doing (about 28 according to the dash, so take that with a grain of salt).

I've consumed about 2/3 of a tank of gas (11.4 of 17.2 gallons), charged about 18 times (est) for an ~$40 in electricity (280-300 kWh), and gone not quite 661 miles. So about $75.52 to go 660 miles.

My quick take then:
It costs ---
$0.20 a mile for gas only (@$3 gas) (from the sticker, but real world may vary)
$0.14 a mile for hybrid (one tank + one full charge) 370 miles range (from Jeeps full range estimate on a full tank and full battery x 1)
$0.08 (.077) cents a mile for an electric mile at a blended, all in TOU rate of $.134 per kWh (from my actual experience)

I'm pretty happy about this, based on my driving pattern so far. If 2/3 of my miles over time are all electric at $0.08, and 1/3 are at a 30% better $0.14, then yeah, even though the all electric range is limited, the effect of these being your first miles every day are significant. I really think PHEVs are amazing, because you limit the expense/natural resource needed for batteries, eliminate range issues, and get the best of both worlds until such time as we have so much range (1K miles) that you never have to think about it.

Anyway, loving the jeep.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Sweet lemonjelo...i don't realy count the cost . we used 2 gallons in 2020 with the BMW i3 rex only to get in fresh fuel. if we do no touring we can drive ev with the BMW and the Jeep to all things done. we used one time a charging station from chargepoint only to try it out in downtown .

Ride on lemonjelo :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have 2300 miles on mine and the best tank was 29 mpg by going from a full tank and then dividing gas added by TOTAL miles driven. Now, I am going on long highway drives in the mountains. Sea level to 11,500 feet and I haven't made it back down to sea level yet. Last drive was around 23 mpg and that was 80 mph on I-90 (speed limit is 80 - and at 80 I was getting passed) Speed makes a HUGE difference. I'm happy and even happier when we can leave with a full charge so I can get around 370 miles of range. Right now I fill up and it says 330 miles.

Once we get back home, I won't use that much fuel as most of my trips are 20-30 miles roundtrip (and there are charging options if I want them at the halfway point).

·
Registered
381 Posts
here are my final cost per mile rounded up,
electric $0.04/mile (about 14.3 kwh per charge from zero to hundred %) thats 83 % from the total battery capacity.
gasoline $0.14/mile (18.6 mpg , hilly roads and mountain roads about 60 % , others mixed)
+ the free extra electric miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts