Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2021 JLUS 4xe
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a service appt with the dealer scheduled for next week, but am trying to find out more before I show up. Call it a hunch...

Here's what's happening: the fuel door is opening by itself, without depressing the button. The occurrence is semi-random and I cannot always reproduce it. USUALLY it happens when "starting" the Jeep or just after beginning to drive. I have also had it happen when plugging/unplugging an iPhone in the main USB slot on the lower dash (although this seems more random or coincidental). I also had it happen once when putting the Jeep into park. My wife reports having it happen while driving. I'm pretty sure the engine has been off for all occurrences (Hybrid or EV mode only).

One other version of the error is the fuel door open warning will display despite the door remaining closed.

Getting out and closing the door does not clear the error; I have to scroll to a new display to clear it. If that's by design, it's a poor UX choice.

Adding to the fun: last Wednesday a Malfunction Indicator error and the CEL came on. The fuel door issue had been occurring for about a week at that point, but could certainly share a common root cause.

Anyone know of this issue or how to resolve?

Thanks!
Kent

·
Registered
2021 JLUS 4xe
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In case anyone is following this issue (or searches it in the future), the dealer believes it is a bad solenoid in the fuel door and has ordered a replacement fuel door. I will provide another update once the new fuel door is received and installed.

·
Registered
2021 JLUS 4xe
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was going to say to check the specific fuse but it sounds like you’ve already got it at the dealer.
Fuses were the first thing I checked (and seated when I took delivery). I was amazed at how many "clicked" into position. Checking fuses is always a good starting point!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I took mine to the dealer as well yesterday and they responded that the door is getting power to the fuel door but it's the solenoid that fails to open. They ordered a new one and it should be in today hopefully and everything works as it should. Will update my situation as well if it differs.

·
Registered
2021 JLUS 4xe
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took mine to the dealer as well yesterday and they responded that the door is getting power to the fuel door but it's the solenoid that fails to open. They ordered a new one and it should be in today hopefully and everything works as it should. Will update my situation as well if it differs.
Interesting! Same faulty component, but with a different type of failure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts