Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen the posts about having trouble filling the 4xe all the way up due to the pressurized gas tank. However, I haven't seen this posted:

When I fueled up yesterday, I filled till the pump shut off, then was able to add about another gallon and a half. However, when I got in the car, the gauge showed that the tank was a little over half full, and the gas range was about 200 miles. As I proceeded to drive for about 15 miles, the gauge indicator slowly worked it's way to the top, and the gas range increased to about 335, which seems about right (a full 17 gallon tank would be just under 20 MPG).

Has anyone else experienced this issue with the fuel gauge? It's not a huge issue, but it is annoying to fill up and see that the gauge is not accurate.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have always stopped after the pump automatically shuts off. I get about 285 miles of gas range as registered. Maybe I will try to squeeze another gallon out of it to see if I can get over 300 mpg of gas.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’ve been a mechanic for 20+ years. When the pump kicks off it’s telling you it’s full. Rounding off a little bit is ok but adding a gallon or more is not good. You need that room in the tank for vapors. The purge system for your tank is meant to purge vapors, not fuel. Too much fuel will then damage the purge solenoid and canister assembly. Fuel temperature, ambient temperature and humidity will also effect the amount of fuel vapor in the tank. I’ve made a lot money over the years because of people “completely” filling their tank just to fit another gallon of fuel.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ve been a mechanic for 20+ years. When the pump kicks off it’s telling you it’s full. Rounding off a little bit is ok but adding a gallon or more is not good. You need that room in the tank for vapors. The purge system for your tank is meant to purge vapors, not fuel. Too much fuel will then damage the purge solenoid and canister assembly. Fuel temperature, ambient temperature and humidity will also effect the amount of fuel vapor in the tank. I’ve made a lot money over the years because of people “completely” filling their tank just to fit another gallon of fuel.
Today was my fourth time adding gas to 4xe. Tank was less than 1/8 full. Went to add gas, before I was able to add a gallon, the pump kicked off repeatedly. Since I knew the tank was near empty, I kept trying to add fuel until the fuel started coming back out of the tank. Waited a minute, then was able to add 15 gallons. Why was it kicking off when it absolutely was not full?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Some tanks are a bit more finicky to fill, in the past if I was having issues I'd fill it more slowly and/or pull the nozzle back a little. With certain pumps on my 18 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, I'd have to turn the pump handle upside down to get it to fill....some stations have a higher flow rate and can cause the pump to auto stop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.