Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, just picked up our 4xe and wondering if anyone else is finding that charging at both L1 & L2 is taking a long time ? I used a level 2 charger and it took just over 2.hrs & 45 min to show 100%, L1 charging shows typically 17hrs when I plug in at home, I’m wondering if this is standard or if I need to take it back for recalibration if that’s even a thing 🤔🤔

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi Everyone, just picked up our 4xe and wondering if anyone else is finding that charging at both L1 & L2 is taking a long time ? I used a level 2 charger and it took just over 2.hrs & 45 min to show 100%, L1 charging shows typically 17hrs when I plug in at home, I’m wondering if this is standard or if I need to take it back for recalibration if that’s even a thing 🤔🤔
check the settings, some cars default to a low amp Level 1 charge until you change it in settings (if your outlet can handle it). I believe in the Bolt it defaults to 8Amp until you switch it. Level 1 should take about 12 hours on the Jeep.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have charged in both L1 and L2. L2 took 2hrs 42 min, L1 took over 16 hrs. Hope that helps.
Hmmm thanks for that, so it looks like charging times are very different from what the manuals have been quoting.
That’s a shame if you don’t have an L2 at home

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
592 Posts
Jeep needs to be held accountable for lying about these numbers... 25 miles on a full charge... 12 hrs to charge on lvl 1 and 2 hrs on lvl 2 charger. They are off significantly. And people including myself ordered based on the wrong numbers.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just read the manual and they read “ESTIMATED” Charge Time. Approximately 2 hours on a Level 2 charger. I can’t seem to find the maximum charge rate in the manual, but in some data I saw earlier, the maximum charge rate set by the car battery controller was 7kWh. The battery is 17kW, but it seems the Jeep engineers are only letting it discharge to 15kWh. So if the battery could charge at 7kWh all the way, the charge time would be approximately 2 hours 10 minutes. But, the closer you a get a battery to full charge, the slower the charging rate gets. Just like blowing up a tire, the higher the pressure, the slower you inflate the tire.
I would estimate charging rates on Level 2 will be closer to 2:30 to 2:45 if you have the battery all the way down to 1% on your gauge.
On Level 1, Jeep estimates 12 hours charge time. I’m going to make some assumptions here. Again your battery is down to 1%, so 15kWh of charge needed. Since Jeep doesn’t know what capacity outlet you are plugging into, I’ll assume the smaller, 15 amps maximum Is more common. They also don’t know the state of everyone’s wiring, fuses or breakers. New house or old house, maybe even aluminum wiring, So they are going to be conservative on the current draw for 12plus hours. They don’t want to burn down anybody’s house and have a bunch of lawsuits on their hands. So I’m going to assume a maximum of 10 amp draw on a 15 amp circuit. So theoretically, the battery should charge in 12:30 hrs:min. Again back to the slower charge rate as the battery fills, I’m going estimate closer to 14 hours charge time for a completely discharged battery on a Level 1 charger.
Aren’t you glad you got a hybrid? Instead of a full EV......

so from a complete discharge to 100%.
level 2: 2hr 45min
level 1: 14hrs

so how about some folks with some real life experience chiming in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just read the manual and they read “ESTIMATED” Charge Time. Approximately 2 hours on a Level 2 charger. I can’t seem to find the maximum charge rate in the manual, but in some data I saw earlier, the maximum charge rate set by the car battery controller was 7kWh. The battery is 17kW, but it seems the Jeep engineers are only letting it discharge to 15kWh. So if the battery could charge at 7kWh all the way, the charge time would be approximately 2 hours 10 minutes. But, the closer you a get a battery to full charge, the slower the charging rate gets. Just like blowing up a tire, the higher the pressure, the slower you inflate the tire.
I would estimate charging rates on Level 2 will be closer to 2:30 to 2:45 if you have the battery all the way down to 1% on your gauge.
On Level 1, Jeep estimates 12 hours charge time. I’m going to make some assumptions here. Again your battery is down to 1%, so 15kWh of charge needed. Since Jeep doesn’t know what capacity outlet you are plugging into, I’ll assume the smaller, 15 amps maximum Is more common. They also don’t know the state of everyone’s wiring, fuses or breakers. New house or old house, maybe even aluminum wiring, So they are going to be conservative on the current draw for 12plus hours. They don’t want to burn down anybody’s house and have a bunch of lawsuits on their hands. So I’m going to assume a maximum of 10 amp draw on a 15 amp circuit. So theoretically, the battery should charge in 12:30 hrs:min. Again back to the slower charge rate as the battery fills, I’m going estimate closer to 14 hours charge time for a completely discharged battery on a Level 1 charger.

@VicRubicon4xe great assumptions that’s why I am trying to get real experiences, had ours for a week now and wondering if I am the only one confused by real world experience versus what the brochures say, I think it’s still too new to ask a lot of forums and I thought this one fitted the best, thanks for your input

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'll get a time from ~1% to full, hahaha, if we ever drive it again (weather has been shitty ...)

FWIW, the L2 charger we just got, has a display that shows charge rate, when I hooked it up yesterday, the indicator lights show one blinking blue, the charger was showing ~15kWh rate, then in about 5 minutes it dropped to 5-6kWh you know, as it got close to complete. I think. I'll make sure to record what I see more accurately next time.

Anyway, I believe it charged for ~15 minutes, then went back into "sleep mode", charge lights went out, and the charger showed a little green Prius icon with a "Waiting for vehicle ..." :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am planning to move soon but our current apartment doesn't have any outlets, so I've only been charging on level 2. the last 2 times were from 1%. Time 1: 2 hrs 35 min for 15.58 kWh added. Time 2: 2 hrs 25 min for 15.15 kWh added. At the 2 hr mark of 14 kWh added it drops from 7kW to 0 in about 15 minutes.

For level one, there's a difference between 120V and 220V outlets - but I haven't confirmed any rates yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Charge rate will change with battery temp, if ambient temps are low then charging takes longer. This is the same for range. Im getting about 20- 25 miles per full charge which varies from 13 to 15 hrs to get depending on how cold my garage gets at night on the level 1. I charged at a charge point this week end and had a full charge from 5% in right at 2 hrs (during the day in the 60s)

·
Registered
2021 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
4 Posts
I used a Level 2 Greenlots (public charger) last week and it charged from 0-99% in 2hr 10m with the charger showing 15.18kWh used. Temperature was in the 60s.

·
Registered
13 Posts
2 days in a row now. Went from o to 100 in about 13 hours on the stock L1

·
Registered
9 Posts

This is a great post Vic. I wish more people had constructive comments like this. I have charged mine 2 times on a level 1 and your estimates very similar to what I'm getting. I will be upgrading to a level 2 soon.

·
Registered
67 Posts
This is a great post Vic. I wish more people had constructive comments like this. I have charged mine 2 times on a level 1 and your estimates very similar to what I'm getting. I will be upgrading to a level 2 soon.
Thank You Az4xe. i don’t have my 4xe yet, dealer says two weeks. I bought a Juice Box 40 because it is the best programmable Level 2 charger on the market today. I, too, am in AZ. I’m on APS, on the Super Saver (oxymoron) plan. So I don’t ever want to charge between 3pm and 8pm. The Juice Box let’s me control that. Also my son has a Tesla and he bought the Juice Box for himself and loves it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank You Az4xe. i don’t have my 4xe yet, dealer says two weeks. I bought a Juice Box 40 because it is the best programmable Level 2 charger on the market today. I, too, am in AZ. I’m on APS, on the Super Saver (oxymoron) plan. So I don’t ever want to charge between 3pm and 8pm. The Juice Box let’s me control that. Also my son has a Tesla and he bought the Juice Box for himself and loves it.
I used my 120v Jeep supplied charging cable the first 2 days. It looks like it cost about $2 each time I charged my 4Xe that is aproximite and about 13 hours each time. I also changed the charge times so I can't charge during peak times. It is in APP's section under hybrid I think. I will look in to the Juice Box, because since I got a cool jeep the wife just ordered a Tesla Model 3.
I used a level 2 charger ChargePoint at work 3 days in a row now. It started at 6KW for 2h15m and trickeled down from there for the last 30 minutes. So a charge on a level 2 is taking me 2 hours 45 minutes adding 15.30kWw to the battery according to ChargePoint. This was from -1% charge on my display. According to the display I'm getting 44mpg just going back and forth to work street and highway are about equal. It is mostly on electric since I only drive 12 miles each way.
Had to add a pic of my new baby. By the way towing the tab trailer gets about te same MPG as my Sahara with a 2.0 10 to 12MPG going to the Rim and back.

·
Registered
42 Posts
@4XEGator dumb question where should I look in the settings 🤭🤭
I got my 4XE and it appears this may happen automatically. I could not find any settings other than schedule unlike on my dad’s Bolt. I also could find little information on the screens in the car regarding rate of charging (other than time left). The charging cord set is a E346031 which many vehicles use (just rebranded just like the AmazingE 16Amp charger). I am seeing about 14 hours charging from less than 1% charge to full. I also tried to public ChargePoint chargers and one was 6kW and the other 7kW which took 2.5 hours and 2:15. I have seen people making or buying dongles for the stock charger to connect to a 240V Nema 14-50 or 14-30 (dryer plug) at home which reduces charge time to about 4-5 hours at home but I haven’t tried it yet (YMMV and at your own risk since the cord does list 120V but other forums claim the internals actually have a transformer to accept either voltage). That may be an option since even for a dedicated Level 2 charger you need the same wiring. I think 5 hours charge time would be sufficient for most people.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts