Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I don't blame Jeep for this but it is pretty annoying, I'm a toyota guy and all toyotas even after the low fuel light comes on and range says ZERO you can still go 50-60 miles, Prius can go 100 miles, my last tundra had a SIX gallon reserve even after showing zero range. Guess I was spoiled.

Was driving my new 4XE on a mini road trip, knew I would need to refuel but didn't realize how fast. I was 10 miles away from the city I wanted to pull off in and my range said 20 miles, was cruising at 70mph so figured I was golden.

Well then I was 5 miles away and range suddenly said 10 miles... ok no problem I'm so close I can run on freaking fumes if I have to and there's gotta be some sort of reserve right? Like even a half gallon?! NOPE.

Now I'm hitting the exit and suddenly range goes from 10 to ZERO but I'm literally a few hundred yards away from the gas station no way I'm in trouble... well not even a hundred yards after range went to zero BOOM Jeep just shuts down, it didn't even seem to know it was out of gas literally just said "put it in park and restart" or something like that on the gauge cluster. So I did, and great now I'm stuck in park, most vehicles will let you shift to neutral if ignition is on even if engine is off... but not with the Wrangler, luckily I just threw the transfer case to neutral and my friends hoped out and pushed me the last hundred yards to the gas station. All is well just embarrassing.

So pay attention to that range gauge! And don't trust it, if it says 20 miles range you might literally completely run out of gas in 10. Can't believe there is absolutely zero reserve, I don't think I've ever seen a vehicle built like that and I'm in the car business I've driven almost everything.

Other than that my backup camera only works half the time, my driver's door sensor seems to be fickle it'll say the door is open when its clearly closes which doesn't let me put it into drive. So I'll often have to open and close my door a few times for it to let me put it in drive -_-

Off to a rough start but I still love my Jeep, my last 4x4s were Tundra, Tacoma, 4Runner, Tacoma, Tacoma. I'm spoiled by having outdated designs but bulletproof reliability, I knew I'd be giving some of that up moving to a brand new plugin turbo 4x4 no matter who made it so I'll accept its just part of the price I pay to get something so unique. But really hope it gets better from here on out lol.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Interesting as you had no battery reserves. One of the YouTube guys did a test of running out of gas and then battery. He was able to drive till the battery level got to around 30 percent and would no longer go. I think he even had to key cycle a couple times to keep going.

Your lucky the high voltage battery didn't go so low it couldn't start the motor! I suspect the system protects itself.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I like to refuel at about 1/3 to 1/4 tank remaining. This gives me some margin if stuck in stop and go traffic or late to an appointment and don’t have time to refuel an empty tank.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts