Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my gas cap tether changed, the new one was about 1 in shorter, part was on order so it wasn't done as part of the other recall items. My question is WHY? Does anyone know why the old one was considered too long?

·
Registered
367 Posts
It was one of the leading causes of CELs. The sad thing is, a lot of people were posting in the forums about their CEL issue and people are too embarrassed to circle back around and update the post to let people know that they caused the issue with the tether.

·
Registered
901 Posts
If you live long enough, you can gas cap CEL any vehicle. Lol

The 4xe was exceeding normal occurances.

I'm a firm believer in good design should prevent user error. So I'm happy to see they addressed this.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you live long enough, you can gas cap CEL any vehicle. Lol

The 4xe was exceeding normal occurances.

I'm a firm believer in good design should prevent user error. So I'm happy to see they addressed this.
I’m going on 35 years of driving lots of vehicles. Never got a CEL for a gas cap. This issue strikes me as super bizarre.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's because the 4xe has a pressurized fuel system. Page 52 of the supplemental owners manual talks about this, and I have attached a link in case people have not become familiar with this system. It's pressurized, which is the benefit of a plug in hybrid, with the possibility of going weeks or even months without refilling with gas. Regular gasoline has a shelf life of just a few months.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lots of my vehicles have had pressurized systems. The jeep is the first that I've owned that had gas cap issues though. Seriously poor quality on Jeep's part and the problem has to do with the design and manufacture of the gas cap and filler tube. On my JK I went through 3 gas caps with CEL issues before I discovered the real problem. The filler tube on my Jeep is not perfectly formed and has a small depression on the surface that mates with the gas cap. A bit of Vaseline on gas cap gasket allow the cap to screw on a bit farther before it clicks thus providing a better seal and overcoming the deformity in the filler tube.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I've really not noticed the filler tube so much. But the majority of my fill ups were on on a 2,000 mile road trip over the span of 10 days. Besides that I've had one fill up so far, two if you count the dealership handoff.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts