Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

So picking up our new GC 4XE tomorrow and need to add crossbars and running boards. The challenge is the dealership says these have not been released yet by Jeep and it may be another month or two. Have noticed several after market options available so curious if anyone else has encountered this issue and curious what folks recommend we do. For context we have a roof box for hauling ski gear and easy put 150-200 lbs in it. Having this is a must for us so would love some guidance on how to proceed.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Hi All,

So picking up our new GC 4XE tomorrow and need to add crossbars and running boards. The challenge is the dealership says these have not been released yet by Jeep and it may be another month or two. Have noticed several after market options available so curious if anyone else has encountered this issue and curious what folks recommend we do. For context we have a roof box for hauling ski gear and easy put 150-200 lbs in it. Having this is a must for us so would love some guidance on how to proceed.
The crossbars SHOULD be identical to the ICE WL GC. Not sure why the 4XE cross bars would be different. As for the Running boards... Maybe there are some different mount points underneath, but I find that difficult to believe as well. Last time I checked, the MOPAR site had NOTHING listed for any level of 4XE.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The crossbars SHOULD be identical to the ICE WL GC. Not sure why the 4XE cross bars would be different. As for the Running boards... Maybe there are some different mount points underneath, but I find that difficult to believe as well. Last time I checked, the MOPAR site had NOTHING listed for any level of 4XE.
They don't list it when you filter by 4xe, but if you look at the cross applicability for ICE accessories it lists 4xe. Trailhawk parts included.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So good news, my dealership figured it out and are installing everything but the running bords as those are now on back order. Next issue I am facing is finding rubber floor mats and a rubber trunk mat. Seems these too are in short supply. curious what others have done.

·
Registered
990 Posts
So good news, my dealership figured it out and are installing everything but the running bords as those are now on back order. Next issue I am facing is finding rubber floor mats and a rubber trunk mat. Seems these too are in short supply. curious what others have done.
Check eBay. If you search the part number for the mats you can often find a dealership or supplier that will ship them to you cheaper than what your dealership might. That's what is did for my 2013 GC.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi All,

So my Jeep dealership got in the Mopar Crossbars and running boards for my Jeep GC 4XE. This was not a good experience. The cross bars add almost 6 inches to the clearance height and my dealership botched the install twice and are now having a third try to get these installed correctly. Have a feeling I may have to scrap these and go with Thule if they cannot get their shit together.

The spec running boards it turns out are plastic and actually flex down when you stand on them. Really flimsy and not impressed at all with these. dealership told me all Jeep GC running boards do this and it is normal ... that cannot be correct can it?? If that is the case I am going to have to go for an after market running board that is a little beefier. Would love input from others on this.

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes those are the running boards. Essentially there is a plastic cladding over a steel bar with three anchors that attach to the car's frame. Unfortunately these are very poorly designed and quite flimsy. If you do not step in the correct place on the running board there is a lot of lateral flex as the platform itself is just plastic. If you step towards the center or inner part of the running board there is less flex. Simply put they need a much more rigid design and better build quality. the Jeep GC 4XE is so new that there are not a lot of aftermarket options for a better quality running board. Ditto for the crossbars .. you are basically stuck with the Mopar parts at this time.

As an FYI I did see a new crossbar for the GC 4XE on Amazon that would mount flush to the inner part of the roof rails and reduce clearance height by about 3 inches as compared to the Mopar crossbars. Cannot speak to their quality, but 3 inches would make a big difference for us as it would get the cars clearance under 7' with the ski box attached and that would open up a lot of parking options for us when we travel.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I’ve never seen the running boards myself, but from what I’ve read on other sites, the consensus seems to be that they’re pretty much useless. A couple people suggested that they’re also set too high to actually be helpful.

·
Registered
990 Posts
As an FYI I did see a new crossbar for the GC 4XE on Amazon that would mount flush to the inner part of the roof rails and reduce clearance height by about 3 inches as compared to the Mopar crossbars. Cannot speak to their quality, but 3 inches would make a big difference for us as it would get the cars clearance under 7' with the ski box attached and that would open up a lot of parking options for us when we travel.
Watch out for the fitment over on amazon. Even when Filtering for a 2022 GC 4XE, they still like to toss in a mix of 2021 WK2 pictures and crossbar applications.

We don't really need the low-profile ones, and we typically use a roof basket for our longer travels, but I ended up picking up a set of these to try out. As much as I would like to get MOPAR ones, we don't use them enough to warrant the extra cost.

·
Registered
25 Posts
To Dovski, just to make sure we’re talking about the same running boards, are yours stainless steel looking with black treads? If so, then I guess the stainless or chrome (whichever it is) must be then just a coating on plastic rather than actual metal? The reason I ask, is to make sure we’re talking about the same Mopar running board since this is Mopar’s description: “The steps are powdercoated, black galvanized steel with stainless steel, chrome-flashed overlay bezel.” No mention of plastic. I need a running board to help my wife get in and out of the 4xe. It’s just a little too high for comfort.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts