Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1221 - 1240 of 1384 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,221 ·
In March I was told 4-6 months and that production was just starting up. 5 months later, I'm told another 3-4 months (allegedly production has finally started?). At this point, I don't even believe March of 2023.

I thought about that X5 45e again, but then I read about X5s being a nightmare / true hobby to maintain after 100k miles. (Please stop if you think a JGC won't make it that far.)

I think I might peace out from the forum a little bit. I'm spending too much time ruminating on available options that I'm satisfied with.
I ended up getting a 2023 X5e build in at a small dealership about 75 miles from me last month and they are telling me it will be at the dealership at the end of August. Due to shortages and such, my and my wife's leases are up so I opted to go with the x5 and the GC SR. So far BMW is winning the manufacturing process but we will see who ends up being more reliable. The GC is going to (eventually) be my daily driver with the BMW being our family vehicle for around the city. I don't keep cars past 5 years so definitely not getting anywhere near that 100k but a little worried about the BMW costs.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I ended up getting a 2023 X5e build in at a small dealership about 75 miles from me last month and they are telling me it will be at the dealership at the end of August. Due to shortages and such, my and my wife's leases are up so I opted to go with the x5 and the GC SR. So far BMW is winning the manufacturing process but we will see who ends up being more reliable. The GC is going to (eventually) be my daily driver with the BMW being our family vehicle for around the city. I don't keep cars past 5 years so definitely not getting anywhere near that 100k but a little worried about the BMW costs.
I got notice from a BMW dealership that I could now order a 23 BMW but they told me November for delivery.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You won't be disappointed. I gave up on the 4xe and built a 45e and it's far exceeded my expectations. And to the prior poster, if reliability after 100,000 miles is a critical factor, the 4xe is an odd decision. Jeep is not exactly known for its reliability and 4xe is a new and complicated platform. I had a 2014 EcoDiesel, which itself was new, and while I loved the diesel engine, it gave me plenty of headaches, particularly after 90,000 miles.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,224 ·
I got notice from a BMW dealership that I could now order a 23 BMW but they told me November for delivery.
I was in the right place at the right time. Initially I was offered an allocation for a 2022 45e and I almost took it but it would have been missing the HK stereo, Ventilated Seat, automatic lower gate, and the executive package. I could not justify spending that amount of menu and not getting exactly what I wanted so I turned it down. The day I saw the 2023 builder was online I reached out again and 2 hours later I had a deposit down for the first allocation they got. I figured it would be November but to my surprise it is much much sooner. I am hoping my Jeep isn't far behind so I can run my credit within 30 days; credit agencies give leeway on hard inquires when it is obvious it is car shopping.

·
Registered
'07 Fit, '17 Pacifica PHEV
46 Posts
I had a 2014 EcoDiesel, which itself was new, and while I loved the diesel engine, it gave me plenty of headaches, particularly after 90,000 miles.
Thanks for the perspective. Allegedly the 2014 GCs were a year to forget, but good to hear anyway.

Maybe I should reconsider ICE options if I really want to hold onto it for that long.

Granted I drive like 2500-4000 miles a year so it would likely take 20 years to get up there on the odometer.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,226 ·
You won't be disappointed. I gave up on the 4xe and built a 45e and it's far exceeded my expectations. And to the prior poster, if reliability after 100,000 miles is a critical factor, the 4xe is an odd decision. Jeep is not exactly known for its reliability and 4xe is a new and complicated platform. I had a 2014 EcoDiesel, which itself was new, and while I loved the diesel engine, it gave me plenty of headaches, particularly after 90,000 miles.
I think they were speaking more to the costs involved with BMW, Jeep is probably less reliable but the parts and such are cheaper and more readily available (in a normal world anyway; we are currently in the Upside-Down). Again, The highest mile vehicle I have leased or owned over the past 22 years had about 72k on it. New Orleans is a very small city and most of my driving is really to and from my office which is 16 miles round trip. Between the X5 and GC, my wife and I may use a tank of gas every 6 months. I am excited for both but significantly less excited for my bank account.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,227 ·
Thanks for the perspective. Allegedly the 2014 GCs were a year to forget, but good to hear anyway.

Maybe I should reconsider ICE options if I really want to hold onto it for that long.

Granted I drive like 2500-4000 miles a year so it would likely take 20 years to get up there on the odometer.
I drive slightly more than that but ultimately have lived off of 10k per year leases since 2011. My current lease is up and month to month, and I have only put 24k on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The BMW is a fine vehicle, but in my experience with German cars, maintenance and repair costs have always been considerably higher. Of course, this only applies if you're planning to keep the vehicle long-term.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a 2014 and it had some issues early on with the navigation system (4x) and the radiator (2x) and some ABS issues, replaced an engine mount, two mirrors (the chromatic glare protection failed), but by and large those manifested years apart and I am not entirely sure it was because some fundamentally wrong engineering/manufacturing problem as much as old age. Aside from the navigation which is a 3rd party product. I don't see it any more unreliable than any other car, and it has gotten progressively better as it aged. But I never had any ticking noises with the Pentastar (or maybe I do but nobody hears them), no air suspension issues, no transmission shifting issues (ZF baby, not the Kokomo Indiana copy-paste)...

At 75,500 miles, I stand to inherit the GC from the spousal unit and it will become primarily a long distance vehicle since its fuel efficiency will not differ much from the hybrid at highway speeds over long distances.

·
Registered
2022 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve 4xe
151 Posts
Weekly update on my end:
Called Jeep Wave just a minute ago after some confusion on the actual status she said my order moved to JS status - shipped to storage. She said the ETA is 08-15 but my tracker shows my order is still being built with an estimated delivery date of 08-20. She got excited at the end and made it seem like I should expect it soon but who knows.
She said when it goes to storage it's typically there until they can fill up a train car or something with enough orders to minimize the cost of shipment.
Still no window sticker as of yet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Weekly update on my end:
Called Jeep Wave just a minute ago after some confusion on the actual status she said my order moved to JS status - shipped to storage. She said the ETA is 08-15 but my tracker shows my order is still being built with an estimated delivery date of 08-20. She got excited at the end and made it seem like I should expect it soon but who knows.
She said when it goes to storage it's typically there until they can fill up a train car or something with enough orders to minimize the cost of shipment.
Still no window sticker as of yet.
What number are you calling for Jeep Wave? Because I just called them and it's the same information as the chat - which is basically nothing. He didn't even know where to go to see the status of my order and then finally just read off what is in the Jeep Tracking site.

·
Registered
151 Posts
What number are you calling for Jeep Wave? Because I just called them and it's the same information as the chat - which is basically nothing. He didn't even know where to go to see the status of my order and then finally just read off what is in the Jeep Tracking site.
At first, the Jeep Wave rep read off the tracker status: "build it in progress... paint... trim...". I told her that the rep I talked to last week said I was in final inspection status and asked how I could have gone backward in status. Then she checked a different system and was able to pull up the actual status of JS.

They have the statuses. She tried to get me to ask my dealer instead but I said I can't get updates as quickly from him so she dug deeper and told me the current status.

I also have a case number, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
My dealer said as of today I am still in D status but ship date remains at 08/10...

Reactions: Packers62

·
Registered
151 Posts
Checked the tracker this morning and now it says the estimated delivery date is August 29th.

How is my car built, in storage, waiting to be shipped, given an ETA of Aug 15th, and then somehow needs to be delayed another half month? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Checked the tracker this morning and now it says the estimated delivery date is August 29th.

How is my car built, in storage, waiting to be shipped, given an ETA of Aug 15th, and then somehow needs to be delayed another half month? :rolleyes:
It’s all logistics. It’s based on deliveries and trucks/trains being filled for your area.

Reactions: Cummins0867

·
Registered
42 Posts

“JS” status (shipped to storage) is not “waiting to be shipped”—that would be “KZ L” (released by plant, not yet shipped).

An insider on another forum explaining JS:

Some of you call this "Prison". I like to think of it as QA trying to ensure you get what you expected. Typically if something happens or is found in the I step (or even a previous step), it goes here to get checked and fixed. A panel looks off-color, a part on your vehicle was in the same batch as a bunch of failed parts, the light doesn't turn on, etc will all cause the vehicle to get sent here for a detailed inspection and fix.​

Another reason it can end up here is either the dealer has asked to have the vehicle delayed (it has a full lot and can only handle so many) or it has a special event coming up. Typically that isn't done on a sold order. It can also end up here at the start of a model year where production is ramping up but the vehicle has not to be released (or certified) for shipment.​

·
Registered
151 Posts
“JS” status (shipped to storage) is not “waiting to be shipped”—that would be “KZ L” (released by plant, not yet shipped).

An insider on another forum explaining JS:

Some of you call this "Prison". I like to think of it as QA trying to ensure you get what you expected. Typically if something happens or is found in the I step (or even a previous step), it goes here to get checked and fixed. A panel looks off-color, a part on your vehicle was in the same batch as a bunch of failed parts, the light doesn't turn on, etc will all cause the vehicle to get sent here for a detailed inspection and fix.​

Another reason it can end up here is either the dealer has asked to have the vehicle delayed (it has a full lot and can only handle so many) or it has a special event coming up. Typically that isn't done on a sold order. It can also end up here at the start of a model year where production is ramping up but the vehicle has not to be released (or certified) for shipment.​
Thanks for the insight. I could see it being certification out of all these reasons if it truly is delayed. It's odd that the date I was given on the call was even earlier than what was on the tracker. I guess there's an internal and external ETA.

I saw a trailhawk order in another forum go to the storage stage, the next day went to shipping stage, then the next day the sticker showed up.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Sometimes I hate living so close to Stellantis headquarters. Now another of my neighbors (Stellantis employee) has a Summit Reserve High Altitude 4xe. View attachment 6532
At least they are producing employee vehicles so they can still get to work lol. Don't mind that I copied your signature format a bit. Trying to keep it informative and not old news is probably a good idea.

1221 - 1240 of 1384 Posts