Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's no picture by Brian and it's no Moab but these pictures will have to do! Just about 7 weeks of waiting for my Gecko to come in last weekend. Compared to the 2007 Mazda3 next to it that it is replacing.... this thing is a f'n computer!
Haha! It’s def a more modern car than many and that’s a fun jump between those dynamics. And even if not fancy photos, still the “right” color 😉

And I’m jealous of your sky roof. My car was an inventory vehicle and I didn’t feel like custom ordering. So I have freedom panel hardtop.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Haha! It’s def a more modern car than many and that’s a fun jump between those dynamics. And even if not fancy photos, still the “right” color 😉

And I’m jealous of your sky roof. My car was an inventory vehicle and I didn’t feel like custom ordering. So I have freedom panel hardtop.
In early Sept we went to Hawaii for our honeymoon and rented a Jeep Wrangler Sport for a long "test drive" and at one point I told my wife, "we might need to get air, it's saying the rear driver side tire is saying its 33psi when it should be 36" and when she asked how I knew which tire without getting out and checking manually, I showed her the tiny dash indicator above the steering wheel and it blew her mind and her jaw hit the floor. I laughed and thought, "our new 4xe on the way is really going to impress you if you're shocked already". The sky roof was definitely the "treat yo self" part of the Jeep, but without a garage and our New England winters it wasn't really an option to do a hard/soft top combo. Removing the Freedom panels before a drive felt like we were gearing up for an adventure and I will miss the fun of hopping out of the Jeep during sudden rainstorms and both of us scrambling to put the Freedom Panels back on the Jeep as a team. So in some ways I miss the freedom panel experience too :LOL:

·
Registered
452 Posts
It's no picture by Brian and it's no Moab but these pictures will have to do! Just about 7 weeks of waiting for my Gecko to come in last weekend. Compared to the 2007 Mazda3 next to it that it is replacing.... this thing is a f'n computer!

View attachment 2657
Until I can move out west mine is in essence a commuter and I love it!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just used my Gecko to commute to my job, a mix of mostly backroads 30-45mph and a bit of highway. 31 miles total and today I made it full round trip all electric using Max Regen, arrived back home with 1%. Very impressed with the Jeep so far
We all know that Gecko Green is the most efficient color. I mean heck it is the “greenest” Jeep, right? (bad Dad jokes are my thing, sorry)

Yesterday weather here in Ohio was great so I had the Freedom panels off. Wife/I went for a 16 mile drive and we went from 98% to 48% battery. Based on that, we’d have been easily able to do 31-32 miles total… matching your journey mentioned above. It was back roads mostly.

Looking forward to seeing how snow/winter in Ohio impacts my gecko commute. Having had 100% Electric EVs before I know what to expect sadly.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
1,265 Posts
We all know that Gecko Green is the most efficient color. I mean heck it is the “greenest” Jeep, right? (bad Dad jokes are my thing, sorry)

Yesterday weather here in Ohio was great so I had the Freedom panels off. Wife/I went for a 16 mile drive and we went from 98% to 48% battery. Based on that, we’d have been easily able to do 31-32 miles total… matching your journey mentioned above. It was back roads mostly.

Looking forward to seeing how snow/winter in Ohio impacts my gecko commute. Having had 100% Electric EVs before I know what to expect sadly.
My guess is you’ll be surprised. Doubt it will impact it a noticeable amount.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My guess is you’ll be surprised. Doubt it will impact it a noticeable amount.
This made me LOL — as clearly you have never owned a vehicle with a high voltage battery before.

Having owned 85 vehicles, 20+ of which were PHEV/BEV, including: 12 Tesla vehicles (one of each including a Roadster), 3 BMW i8 PHEV, 1 BMW i3 PHEV, 1 Audi A3 eTron PHEV, and a bunch of other BEV (Chevy Bolt, Audi eTron SUV, etc) — i can assure you that one DOES lose quite a bit of range.

Overall, during the sub freezing days/months of the year, you can see as much as 35-40% loss of energy. This is quite normal, its just physics and how batteries work. You should expect to see that 25 mile EPA range Drop to around 15 miles during those days. You can mitigate this a bit on some cars by preheating the cabin on “shore power” (while plugged in) but the fact of the matter is once underway, the range impact will still occur — so this may save a mile at best.

Where I live, we can often go 2+ months with temps never getting above 30 F … it is that window where range will be at its worst. Of course, this is based on other factors still like driving style, tire choice, etc. But for those who might read this, do expect this to be the case. For days in the 25-45F range, I’d expect 20 miles are still feasible — but for the 0F to 25F days (we get -25F wind chills here in NE Ohio along hte Great Lakes) — 15 miles seems quite likely.

I’ll be sure to report back in Jan/Feb.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
1,265 Posts
This made me LOL — as clearly you have never owned a vehicle with a high voltage battery before.

Having owned 85 vehicles, 20+ of which were PHEV/BEV, including: 12 Tesla vehicles (one of each including a Roadster), 3 BMW i8 PHEV, 1 BMW i3 PHEV, 1 Audi A3 eTron PHEV, and a bunch of other BEV (Chevy Bolt, Audi eTron SUV, etc) — i can assure you that one DOES lose quite a bit of range.

Overall, during the sub freezing days/months of the year, you can see as much as 35-40% loss of energy. This is quite normal, its just physics and how batteries work. You should expect to see that 25 mile EPA range Drop to around 15 miles during those days. You can mitigate this a bit on some cars by preheating the cabin on “shore power” (while plugged in) but the fact of the matter is once underway, the range impact will still occur — so this may save a mile at best.

Where I live, we can often go 2+ months with temps never getting above 30 F … it is that window where range will be at its worst. Of course, this is based on other factors still like driving style, tire choice, etc. But for those who might read this, do expect this to be the case. For days in the 25-45F range, I’d expect 20 miles are still feasible — but for the 0F to 25F days (we get -25F wind chills here in NE Ohio along hte Great Lakes) — 15 miles seems quite likely.

I’ll be sure to report back in Jan/Feb.
Well, I’m in Madison, WI so I’ll find out I guess. I can’t believe it would fall to 15 miles but you have definitely had more electric car experience than me.
I wonder what Jeep’s experience was while testing in cold conditions. Hell, I’m sure some on here have already had theirs in some cold temps. Maybe they will weigh in.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I’m in Madison, WI so I’ll find out I guess. I can’t believe it would fall to 15 miles but you have definitely had more electric car experience than me.
I wonder what Jeep’s experience was while testing in cold conditions. Hell, I’m sure some on here have already had theirs in some cold temps. Maybe they will weigh in.
There is one factor here that I will admit is VERY different than most all of the other PHEV/BEV that I've owned, that might make be backtrack on my statements here. Most of the other cars I've had the battery pack was a bit more exposed to the elements. As you prob know our battery is under the back seat. I don't know what the underside of the pack looks like but it may be fairly isolated from cold temps. That -could- benefit the Jeep, plus if you pre heat the cabin you're also kind of "pre heating" the battery pack. Those factors might be some saving grace for our range.

And... my mom grew up in Racine, and I have family in Madison. Small world! O&H Kringle is the best!! :) ;)

You should sign up for this:
Doing it with some friends of mine -- I'm driving out from Ohio, picking up a friend in Oshkosh, and headed to Minneapolis. 2x more friends from LA,CA flying into MN to hang for weekend. I've done this event twice before, its good times!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts