Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

New member here and hope to bring home a new 4xe soon, possibly as early as this week if it gets to the dealership as expected.

This will be my first Wrangler, and I’m going for the Rubicon trim. I’m extremely excited, yet also a bit concerned based on some of the issues I’ve been reading about on the other chat on the forum.

BUT, to the crux of this thread: I generally like to buy my cars, but I’m a bit hesitant given this is the first generation of this technology on this car.

For those who own the 4xe, did you buy or lease? Why did you choose what you did?

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hopefully this will add to your thread and not take anything away. I plan to lease mine as long as they still offer the tax credit as a rebate. Similar on the reasoning. Would like to have the option of keeping the first run if they can iron out the kinks. Leasing give you the option while typically, not always, keeping the payment more reasonable.. Hope that helps.

Adam

·
Registered
4 Posts
Leased mine. Found out about the deal on the Leasehacker forum.

The $7.5k credit off the the cap cost makes it a real cheap lease on 53k Jeep.

Not sure I would want to own this tech until its really proven. Lots of moving parts and tech.

Heard the 4xe is the hottest selling wrangler yet.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have been debating this myself. Will probably buy because I will definitely modify the vehicle starting with new tires and wheels day 1! But I too am concerned about the tech long term.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Mine is in production and I definitely plan to buy. Milage restrictions on leases are much too low for the traveling we intend to do,

·
Registered
39 Posts
One-Pay 36m/10k lease to capitalize on the $7,500 tax credit. Total Lease Cost of $10,679 before taxes. 🤑

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
42 Posts
Not sure what people rationale is when leasing Jeeps 🤔 how in a world you’re staying within 10-12k/year? I’m assuming you’re using it for off-roading trips etc. otherwise what’s the point of getting it over Prius?
Our typical weekend off-road trip is about 800 miles, multi day trips easily over 1k. Winter season comes and you’d be taking it skiing every other weekend. 20-25k/year would be my conservative guess.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I leased my 4xE because it’s not my primary vehicle. I have a Gladiator Rubicon that is my main transportation and all purpose/utility vehicle. I use the 4xE primarily for work so the mileage constraints aren’t a huge deal.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
42 Posts
I leased my 4xE because it’s not my primary vehicle. I have a Gladiator Rubicon that is my main transportation and all purpose/utility vehicle. I use the 4xE primarily for work so the mileage constraints aren’t a huge deal.
well I don’t think your case is representative
Did you lease your gladiator too? 😉

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lots of great feedback here.

This would not be my primary car, so the annual 10k miles probably will be sufficient. But it sounds like even if I go over the 10k allotted miles by a reasonable amount, the residual is so strong that it may not matter too much anyway.

Keep the thoughts coming!

Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Lots of great feedback here.

This would not be my primary car, so the annual 10k miles probably will be sufficient. But it sounds like even if I go over the 10k allotted miles by a reasonable amount, the residual is so strong that it may not matter too much anyway.

Keep the thoughts coming!

Thanks
FYI—My dealer gave me quotes at 10K and 12K miles a year. 6K miles worth of overage charges would still net out at less than the difference in payment over 3 years between the two options. Now granted, the residual is impacted also with the mileage allowance, but it’s unlikely I’d be buying out the lease at the end anyways so it’s a moot point.

·
Registered
2014 Rubicon, 2021 Sahara 4xe (coming soon)
1 Posts
One-Pay 36m/10k lease to capitalize on the $7,500 tax credit. Total Lease Cost of $10,679 before taxes. 🤑
just be careful. If the car is stolen or totaled that lump sum payment may vanish. Check with the financing company and your insurance company!

·
Registered
188 Posts
We are leasing because we plan on giving back the 4xe in exchange for the full BEV Wrangler or Bronco.....or perhaps the Rivian R1T.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
42 Posts
We are leasing because we plan on giving back the 4xe in exchange for the full BEV Wrangler or Bronco.....or perhaps the Rivian R1T.
i bought mine for the same reason. I’m waiting for my cybertruck, so I can sell 4xe as soon as my turn is in. With lease you’re stuck until its maturity

·
Registered
188 Posts
i bought mine for the same reason. I’m waiting for my cybertruck, so I can sell 4xe as soon as my turn is in. With lease you’re stuck until its maturity
If a compelling 4x4 BEV becomes available before end of our term then we can buy out the lease similar to a traditional loan. We already worked that out with the finance manager at the dealership. If that compelling BEV is a Wrangler then it might be even easier to convert. I guess we will see what happens over the next few years.

EV time is painfully slow. Waiting for these to actually come to market is an exercise in patience for sure. :)

1 - 20 of 69 Posts