Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Headed down to San Diego tomorrow to pick up this Lance trailer! It's a 2018 Lance 1575 with a full dinette slide out. Dry weight ~2,700lbs, should be a fairly easy tow once I get a WD hitch & trailer brake controller. I'll share my towing experience once I get a couple under my belt.

Cant WAIT to get out there!

Enjoy the weekend!

Sky Plant Window Vehicle Motor vehicle
Sky Vehicle Motor vehicle Plant Shade

·
Registered
188 Posts
Wont the GVWR exceed the 3500# capacity?
I am sure it will once loaded. My 4xe struggles with our teardrop in tow. Plenty of power.....no problem there but it gets hot and can overheat when pulling steep grades. 50% power was the max I could go and coolant temps were 239 degrees. Much higher than that and I would be on the roadside waiting for a tow.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was thinking I could use the Jeep like I use my Colorado. Pulling a load of furniture, transporting mulch or wood from Lowe’s, etc.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just got back from a 900 mile road trip pulling a little airstream Bambi from Scottsdale to Zion and Bryce and back home. It was as smooth as it can be and the engine temp never got above 226 degrees. After the first 5 minutes I forgot the trailer was there. I had it empty and it weighs 2800 lbs. The only clue that I was pulling anything was the 13mpg I averaged.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
524 Posts
I just got back from a 900 mile road trip pulling a little airstream Bambi from Scottsdale to Zion and Bryce and back home. It was as smooth as it can be and the engine temp never got above 226 degrees. After the first 5 minutes I forgot the trailer was there. I had it empty and it weighs 2800 lbs. The only clue that I was pulling anything was the 13mpg I averaged.
That’s what I figured it should be like to tow with. I towed my ATV around for just a bit with a utility trailer and it towed great. Obviously not the weight of these small campers but still, it should tow them just fine without overheating.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey all,

Picked it up earlier this morning, now camping in Oceanside, CA. I won't ever load it over 3,000lbs, will use water hook ups or or use a city connection.

First thing I noticed, only a 1/4" sag - barely noticeable. Tongue weight is 315lbs. Thing pulls like a beast, you do feel it back there, but Jeep handles extremely well.

Will post more updates, will also have a WD hitch on next trip + brake controller.

See ya!

·
Registered
188 Posts
That seems strange that it would overheat. Why?? It should pull that little teardrop all over the place no problem.
I am guessing the loaded trailer weight was around 2800-3000 lbs but I should get it weighed to be sure.

It was about 105 degrees, pulling a 6% grade for 4-5 miles. At 50% power the speed was about 55 mph. Any faster than that and I was pretty sure it would have boiled over. The tractor trailers were lucky to muster 35-40 mph up those mountains and we saw at least 5 or 6 vehicles on the roadside with steam pouring out.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hey all,

Picked it up earlier this morning, now camping in Oceanside, CA. I won't ever load it over 3,000lbs, will use water hook ups or or use a city connection.

First thing I noticed, only a 1/4" sag - barely noticeable. Tongue weight is 315lbs. Thing pulls like a beast, you do feel it back there, but Jeep handles extremely well.

Will post more updates, will also have a WD hitch on next trip + brake controller.

See ya!

View attachment 1805
Looks awesome! 👍

·
Registered
4 Posts
@DD_818 That is a great looking Lance 1575. We have a 2018. We were quite surprised when our JK had much trouble tugging it up the hills, so we took it to the weight scales at a Pilot truck stop. We discovered that we were at 3,300 lbs dry and empty. With gear we were up to almost 4,000 lbs before adding any water to the tanks. Almost every Lance owner I have talked to has told me a similar story. They are a lot heavier than advertised. We sold the JK and are waiting for our 4xe to arrive next month, but we are pulling the Lance with a Grand Cherokee Hemi. Glad we had it when we were up at Yellowstone. Plenty of power and averaging around 13 mpg fully loaded.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@DD_818 That is a great looking Lance 1575. We have a 2018. We were quite surprised when our JK had much trouble tugging it up the hills, so we took it to the weight scales at a Pilot truck stop. We discovered that we were at 3,300 lbs dry and empty. With gear we were up to almost 4,000 lbs before adding any water to the tanks. Almost every Lance owner I have talked to has told me a similar story. They are a lot heavier than advertised. We sold the JK and are waiting for our 4xe to arrive next month, but we are pulling the Lance with a Grand Cherokee Hemi. Glad we had it when we were up at Yellowstone. Plenty of power and averaging around 13 mpg fully loaded. View attachment 1823
Hey thanks for sharing that info - great looking Lance as well! San Diego to LA really had no hills, so hopefully I'll be able to test somewhere soon enough. I will definitely get the trailer weighed and report back. Very interesting.

I threw on the Curt Echo trailer brake yesterday and driving/braking was a breeze! Had to make a fast stop due to careless drivers, was really pleased how well it came to a stop. Assuming you are using a WD hitch, if so what brand/model? I plan to pick up and install one this week.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My JK sometimes overhead pulling my 1200# trailer (don't have my 4xe yet)
I also towed with my '14 JKU - it's night and day for me with the 4xe. I was honestly surprised in the difference. Look forward to hearing your experience when you get yours!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Awesome setup - love that color ;) If you don't mind me asking, where did you stay in Zion? Springdale? Love the Utah parks, those are next on the list (& Moab!). Then Sedona!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks awesome! 👍
Thanks!! It was funny we just stopped at a little RV resort Sat night and were there for maybe 16 hours - I probably like 8 people drop by to compliment the setup, then were blown away it was PHEV! Had an older gentleman stop by that just purchased a sweet Willy's and no clue about the 4xe...he was so disappointed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
@DD_818 We have not felt the need for a WD hitch. The 1575 has a large cargo area forward and once your gear is loaded, I think you will find it between 400 - 500 lbs tongue wt. The best way to measure this is to take your loaded trailer to the scales and get a weight with trailer attached to TV (but TV not on scale) and then detach from TV and get the unsupported trailer weight. Subtract and you will have the TW. With a heavy TW the trailer has always tracked straight and not been affected much by cross winds or semi’s. You may find that you will need Air Lift airbags in the rear springs of the 4xe. We had to do that and it makes a real difference. The Grand Cherokee has air suspension so it lowers lifts and levels for us. Very nice feature. Keep the weight forward, but know how much you are carrying and how it is distributed in the trailer and you should be OK. We had some hairy moments in Colorado driving some little two lane mountain pass roads in the rain. Best to avoid those unless you are fearless and maybe a little lucky too.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts