Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe Trailhawk
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are about to take our GC 4xe Trailhawk on a beginners trail ride in a local offroad park with a jeep club with professional guides and we have a few questions. We are 100% new to offroading and any help with answering our questions or links to vids would be greatly appreciated.

1) What do you think the optimal tire pressure would be for our trip. We are going to Gruber ORV Park in Braggs Oklahoma. The trail is mostly wooded trails with dirt, mud, and rocks. The website says there are ledges and obstacles up to 12". We were thinking somewhere between 20-25psi with our stock all terrain tires. Here is a pic of the trail:
Tire Plant Wheel Vehicle Plant community

2) How exactly should we engage 4Low in this vehicle. When we look up how most people who say how are using a manual shift wrangler and this is just a button I press. Do I need to be in park or neutral?

3) Should I disconnect the sway bar and just leave it disconnected once I get to the trail or only disconnect when I think I will need the extra articulation? Does the Jeep need to be in neutral or park? Does it need to be on flat ground?

Thanks in advance for your help. If you have any other pointers outside of what I asked we could always use the advice!

·
Registered
376 Posts
On a WK2, you engage 4LOW when you are stationary and in neutral and on flat ground. And I would do the same with the sway disconnect - least stress on the suspension, transmission, etc. I see no reason the WL should be any different. If you have the ability to disconnect at the trail head, why not?

I wouldn't go any less than 25 psi, nor would I go without Maxtrax or equivalent self rescue. Yes you are going with a crowd, but you want at least to have a plan to do it all by yourself.

What about ground clearance and the front bumper ? If you go with just Wranglers, the expectations are different. I did it and I almost ended up regretting it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive seen a wrangler sport do this course and it has an even lower clearance than the trailhawk 4xe at 9.7. The 4xe Trailhawk is 10.9 which is the same clearance as the stock rubicon wrangler. We also will have the option at many of the rougher obstacles to take the easier path or to turn around. So If approach angle or departure angles are too agressive we can skip it but the guide did tell us that he takes grand cherokees and broncos on this trail all the time. I actually sent him my approach/breakover/departure angles and my clearance and he said we should do just fine.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ive seen a wrangler sport do this course and it has an even lower clearance than the trailhawk 4xe at 9.7. The 4xe Trailhawk is 10.9 which is the same clearance as the stock rubicon wrangler. We also will have the option at many of the rougher obstacles to take the easier path or to turn around. So If approach angle or departure angles are too agressive we can skip it but the guide did tell us that he takes grand cherokees and broncos on this trail all the time. I actually sent him my approach/breakover/departure angles and my clearance and he said we should do just fine.
Breakover is something that I would imagine a lot of people would overlook (ask me how I know...). That Wrangler Sport may have a shorter wheelbase (at least a 2-door would be shorter, if they make Sports in 2-door?) and possibly have a better breakover angle. even with a lower clearance. It's a good thing you were mindful of that already.

But you got underbody armor on that Trailhawk so just be "f*** it, I'm a tank!" jp. Have fun!

Can't wait to get into the trails!

One thing I learned is being mindful about picking the right lines will do you a whole lot of wonders (so in most cases, you don't have to rely on your special modes and tools). I'm sure if you're going with a professional, they would show you the right ways.

Reactions: Trailhawker

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Breakover is something that I would imagine a lot of people would overlook (ask me how I know...). That Wrangler Sport may have a shorter wheelbase (at least a 2-door would be shorter, if they make Sports in 2-door?) and possibly have a better breakover angle. even with a lower clearance. It's a good thing you were mindful of that already.

But you got underbody armor on that Trailhawk so just be "f*** it, I'm a tank!" jp. Have fun!

Can't wait to get into the trails!

One thing I learned is being mindful about picking the right lines will do you a whole lot of wonders (so in most cases, you don't have to rely on your special modes and tools). I'm sure if you're going with a professional, they would show you the right ways.
I believe the breakover of a 4xe trailhawk on max suspension height is 22.3 and the stock wrangler sport is 25. So its not great but yeah its got a tank belly! Though my wife doesnt want to hear the rocks scratching her tank armor. This trail shouldnt be too bad tbh. We are just going to get used to what the jeep can do and to meet some other jeep nerds like us. Also to flex my GC 4xe on all these damn wranglers: "Oh wow so you used GAS to get over that obstacle? PSHSHSHSH"

• Haha
Reactions: Yonatan

·
Registered
989 Posts
Not sure why I was bored this morning while prepping some Thanksgiving food items, but for offroading... pull the Red 10amp fuse in the back under the 19 A/B Slot. That is the Pedestrian Warning System speakers. Offroad in even more silence.

Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Slope

If we pull that fuse often, I might use a bypass switch you can find on Etrailer and just put a switch in the back end that can be flipped to turn the warning sound off.

There is a video that someone with a Wrangler could wire up a switch to one of their Aux switches that would default to on when the jeep was turned off and back on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts