Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't seen much online with folks installing two-way radios in the 4xe.

Anyone installed radios? Any RFI from all the 4xe electronics?

Pics of installs?

·
Registered
2021 JLUS 4xe
14 Posts
@Wrangler4XEFan: Very clean install! Can you answer some questions?
  1. Where did you install the transceiver portion of the MXT275?
  2. Did you run power from the AUX switches?
  3. How did you mount the mic (popular location seems to be near passenger grab bar)?
  4. What antenna is that on the rear tire carrier?
  5. What is the device mounted just forward of the shift lever?
I am very excited to get my wife's Tuscadero 4xe and will be putting a GMRS unit in soon after delivery (got my eye on the MXT575 when it releases). I'm also in preliminary stages of planning GMRS and HAM installs in the Gladiator I plan to purchase next year.

Thans,
Kent

·
Registered
27 Posts
Aluminum angle piece cut and drilled to fit hardtop bolts. A small metal plate is fastened to the Aluminum. The radio bracket is attached to the plate.

I have the factory tailgate reinforcement. A hole on the reinforcement bracket is just right of the tire and provides support for the antenna. I purchased a Diamond k400 trunk mount using only the top portion. I only needed a longer bolt and nut to attach the mount using the existing hole.

I am using 67design bracket for the control head, and a magnetic mount attached to a Cooltech JL mic bracket.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aluminum angle piece cut and drilled to fit hardtop bolts. A small metal plate is fastened to the Aluminum. The radio bracket is attached to the plate.

I have the factory tailgate reinforcement. A hole on the reinforcement bracket is just right of the tire and provides support for the antenna. I purchased a Diamond k400 trunk mount using only the top portion. I only needed a longer bolt and nut to attach the mount using the existing hole.

I am using 67design bracket for the control head, and a magnetic mount attached to a Cooltech JL mic bracket.
Cool thanks!

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
71 Posts
Here is my radio setup;

1. Midland 75-822 CB , I like this CB as it can work with an externally mounted antenna, or the whole radio can become mobile.
  2. Dual Band Btech UV-50x2 that covers UHF/VHF and GMRS/FRS frequencies
  3. I also have a couple of mobile Baofeng hand held radios in the Jeep, a 5 watt, and a 8 watt.

My antennas are
  1. FireStik FL3-B Three Foot FireFly Antenna With Tuneable Tip (Black) for the CB
  2. Nagoya NMO-200C 38.5" Antenna NMO Mount Dual Band VHF, UHF (155/460Mhz) this pairs with my Btech dual band radio

I mounted my antennas with
  1. Teraflex 4997192 JL: CB Antenna & Flag Whip Mount Bracket Kit.
  2. Diamond K400S-NMO Lip mount, 2-axis adjustable Antenna Vehicle Mount.
I also bought

1. FireStik K-1A Push-n-Twist quick disconnect
  2. 18 foot CB Coax cable with PL259 connectors

The Diamond K400S is mounted on the drivers side of the hood, it comes with a cable that I fed through a plugged hole in the firewall. That plugged hole was just below the brake fluid reservoir, and it leads into the drivers side dash. I removed a few trim pieces and components along the dash to get the cable across to the passenger footwell where my radios all are, or terminate. There are YouTube videos that can guide you through fishing your cables across your dash.

The CB coax goes thru a tailgate plug that you should see once you remove the wheel, there are also videos on YouTube that can guide you on getting that coax also to the passenger foot well from the tailgate.

The Btech radio is mounted next to my gear shifter, with a Quadratec Quick Disconnect CB Radio Mount. The CB is mounted to the grab bar using a JeepUnique grab handle mount for the Midland 75-822. The 2 x Baofeng handhelds both slide in, and stay nicely in the dash grab bar.
The Nagoya NMO and the Firestik CB antennas I remove after I come back from the trail, but both these Antennas clear my 8 foot high garage door opening. I remove them cause my wife does not like the look 😃

For power, I 12v wired the Btech radio to the AUX cables under the passenger dash. The CB radio has a 12v cigarette lighter connection, I am going to cut off the cigarette lighter connector and wire it directly to the ignition wire that also comes with my AUX cables.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Some updates to my setup.

I added a JCR Roof rack and the JCR steel plate adapter kit. I then attached my K9000 Diamond motorized antenna mount. The switch is a polarity reversing momentary. Press and hold the rocker top for up and the bottom portion for down. The motor automatically stops at the bottom and top. I can't always hear it. So, I just give it a little extra time when holding the switch up or down. The switch is mounted just under the steering wheel. I chose this spot because I needed to cut a hole and this looked like it would be the cheapest panel to replace. Plus, it is out the way. One note of caution, the bracket behind the panel could short against the terminals. So, be careful of placement.

I had a similar setup on my 2010 JKU (different rack). It provides an ideal location for the antenna, and the motor allows me to raise and lower the antenna for obstructions (tree limbs, parking decks, garage, etc.) I ran the antenna wire and rear rack light wiring behind the hinge and down the inside of the hardtop. A couple of dabs silicone in certain locations keeps the wires tucked in. At the bottom, the wires exit the plastic sheath and come up under the rubber seal. This prevents any water from entering. It also prevents any drilling of the hardtop. I do not use a soft top. Although, you could add connectors inside. I am hoping the plate on the roof rack will provide a better ground plane. The rack does interfere with the XM at times. So, the XM antenna was relocated to the front driver's side using Maximus-3 relocation bracket. This cleared up any interference caused by the rack. The rear rack lights are wired into one of my AUX switches.

I do enjoy using the APRS function of the radio. And learned how to send a text message via the APRS gate. I will have to see how this works when I really don't have cell service.
Car Vehicle Automotive carrying rack Window Automotive lighting Tire Land vehicle Wheel Car Plant Automotive mirror Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Rear-view mirror Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design Car Grey
Car Vehicle Automotive carrying rack Window Automotive lighting
Car Vehicle Automotive carrying rack Window Automotive lighting
Tire Land vehicle Wheel Car Plant
Automotive mirror Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Rear-view mirror
Car Vehicle Automotive carrying rack Window Automotive lighting Tire Land vehicle Wheel Car Plant Automotive mirror Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Rear-view mirror
Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Wheel
Automotive parking light Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar Automotive lighting
Car Vehicle Automotive carrying rack Window Automotive lighting Tire Land vehicle Wheel Car Plant Automotive mirror Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Rear-view mirror Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar Automotive lighting

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some updates to my setup.

I added a JCR Roof rack and the JCR steel plate adapter kit. I then attached my K9000 Diamond motorized antenna mount. The switch is a polarity reversing momentary. Press and hold the rocker top for up and the bottom portion for down. The motor automatically stops at the bottom and top. I can't always hear it. So, I just give it a little extra time when holding the switch up or down. The switch is mounted just under the steering wheel. I chose this spot because I needed to cut a hole and this looked like it would be the cheapest panel to replace. Plus, it is out the way. One note of caution, the bracket behind the panel could short against the terminals. So, be careful of placement.

I had a similar setup on my 2010 JKU (different rack). It provides an ideal location for the antenna, and the motor allows me to raise and lower the antenna for obstructions (tree limbs, parking decks, garage, etc.) I ran the antenna wire and rear rack light wiring behind the hinge and down the inside of the hardtop. A couple of dabs silicone in certain locations keeps the wires tucked in. At the bottom, the wires exit the plastic sheath and come up under the rubber seal. This prevents any water from entering. It also prevents any drilling of the hardtop. I do not use a soft top. Although, you could add connectors inside. I am hoping the plate on the roof rack will provide a better ground plane. The rack does interfere with the XM at times. So, the XM antenna was relocated to the front driver's side using Maximus-3 relocation bracket. This cleared up any interference caused by the rack. The rear rack lights are wired into one of my AUX switches.

I do enjoy using the APRS function of the radio. And learned how to send a text message via the APRS gate. I will have to see how this works when I really don't have cell service.
Great setup! I really like how you got the cable out without holes. I don't think I'll be doing a full rack, but have considered just a single bar on the top to mount antennas. I've thought about a motorized mount for my camper as well where I can easily hit overpasses with a full length antenna from the 13' roof.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Great setup! I really like how you got the cable out without holes. I don't think I'll be doing a full rack, but have considered just a single bar on the top to mount antennas. I've thought about a motorized mount for my camper as well where I can easily hit overpasses with a full length antenna from the 13' roof.

Thanks for sharing.
The Diamond K9000 unit has been a great item. I've owned the unit for 4 years and it is still going strong, including the Ohio winters.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts