Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to physically disable the cellular connection in my Wrangler 4xe. Has anyone else done this? If so, is the modem in the back of the head unit, or is it in the uconnect module? I've seen one video where the modem is removed, but that's for a different vehicle, and the head unit was made in 2017.

Thanks.

·
Registered
| 2012 JKU Sahara | 2021 4xe Sahara |
159 Posts
Font Parallel Screenshot Terrestrial plant Number

I would advise against removing it, especially with how software dependent this vehicle is and how frequently it’ll still need to be patched. Not all patches are done by dealer flashes and like the recent OTA still being rolled out, it’s unavailable for download for you to install yourself. Well... good luck!

·
Registered
| 2012 JKU Sahara | 2021 4xe Sahara |
159 Posts
With the above said, I haven’t looked into how much of the functions are integrated into the UConnect system. I believe there are third party head units you can replace it with on other models but not sure how well that would turn out on the 4xe. It’d be interesting to see the results. Please do share your findings!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With the above said, I haven’t looked into how much of the functions are integrated into the UConnect system. I believe there are third party head units you can replace it with on other models but not sure how well that would turn out on the 4xe. It’d be interesting to see the results. Please do share your findings!
I don't think I need many of the features from uConnect. The Sirius Guardian is currently not activated, and I don't plan on doing so. However, I don't think the unactivated state is preventing it from connecting to the Internet. I would hope that important vehicle software updates wouldn't depend on the modem, but I guess it could be that way.

It will be at least a couple of weeks before I get around to trying to remove it if I decide to go for it. I figured I'd ask now to see if anyone would chime in with more useful info than I've been able to find so far.

Thanks!

·
Registered
901 Posts
Jeeps are built to work without a cellular connection. If it's integrated into Uconnect Head unit you may have to go without hybrid pages, and some of the vehicle settings.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't think I need many of the features from uConnect. The Sirius Guardian is currently not activated, and I don't plan on doing so. However, I don't think the unactivated state is preventing it from connecting to the Internet. I would hope that important vehicle software updates wouldn't depend on the modem, but I guess it could be that way.

It will be at least a couple of weeks before I get around to trying to remove it if I decide to go for it. I figured I'd ask now to see if anyone would chime in with more useful info than I've been able to find so far.

Thanks!
I think everyone is curious as to what you hope to accomplish by doing so?🤔

·
Registered
159 Posts
I think the cell radio hardware is in the head unit - I've researched this as much as I can myself. Getting access to the factory service info (which is a pain, of course) would answer this question quick.

And yeah, people always ask "why?" for whatever reason. Privacy and UX consistency (updates not moving things around or changing how they work) both come to mind. I like the idea of a disconnected car, myself, which is really hard to get from anything modern.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think everyone is curious as to what you hope to accomplish by doing so?🤔
I purchased this Jeep. It's the vehicle that most closely matches what I was looking for. A lot of people mod their vehicles to get it closer to what they want. I'll likely change the bumpers, add a winch, a lift, and different size tires.
One of the things I'd like in my vehicle is that it doesn't create a comprehensive record of where I've driven and distribute that to a company I don't trust. I also do not want the information generated by my usage to be recorded and monetized, especially if I receive no benefit from the deal. My paperwork did not include any agreements giving them permission to collect information from me. I also called to opt out for privacy reasons and they did not do it for me. I'll call back and try that part again later.

·
Registered
166 Posts
What you really want is the GPS antenna. Cellular data works on towers, and towers don't know your specific location, only which tower you're communicating with. The GPS antenna is what tracks your position in physical space, and then that positioning could be sent over the data connection. My advice would be ditch the GPS antenna since some models don't even have it, and let the LTE connection remain so you can get your software updates etc.

I suppose there's also the issue of the cell phone in your pocket, the toll pass on your windshield and the license plates on traffic cameras. If you don't want to be tracked, you're certainly swimming against the tide.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Agreed - this is the privacy equivalent of turning off an LED lightbulb when you leave the room to save money on your electric bill. It might feel like you're doing something to make a difference, but in reality - you aren't. But hey, if it helps you sleep better at night, more power to you.

·
Registered
901 Posts
For myself personally, I'm not that interesting of a person to worry about being tracked with everyone else living in first world conditions. Hell, I wish Uconnect collected more data like Tesla.

But I do respect people's rights to modify/fix their property for whatever reason they may have.

There are also data privacy laws that might be of help for anyone not wanting their info tracked.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.