Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I wanted to see if anyone can help me figure out whether or not this 4xe will be a solid vehicle for my commute. Here are the details:

• I live in San Diego, where gas prices are usually right up at the top in the US -- I think right now they are about $3.98 a gallon
  • My commute to work is ~17 miles each way, with some stop-and-go traffic, but not nearly as bad as Los Angeles or New York traffic
-I will be renting an apartment, so I do not plan on having the ability to charge it at home -- however, there are chargers at work -- these chargers, based off what a co-worker told me, will cost me ~$2.50 to charge the Jeep battery full
-In summary, I will be driving ~40 miles a day, and will only be able to charge it at work

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
49 Posts
i think the 4xe gets around 21 miles on a full charge so the electric would prob only last one way.

if where you are renting has a garage or place you can plug into, you can always charge for 12 hrs over night and then both ways would be covered

·
Registered
402 Posts
move closer to your work place is the best investment, + it saves you a lot of your life time. 4xe is not a money saver in total cost over the year , the maintenance cost are high too.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
602 Posts
It’s worth it. You will get 25 miles out of a charge. As long as you can get a full charge at work you should save money over gas. Plus it’s 375hp and 470 lb-ft torque. Gotta love that!

·
Registered
2021 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
33 Posts
Lots of factors here as folks mentioned. Fuel costs are fairly important here too and unfortunately we don't have much say over, and currently at $4/gal (same here in WA) this swings the decision towards the Yes decision. If prices fall back to sub $3/gal, then it may not be worth the hassle of charging and potential added maintenance costs down the road with a 40 mi commute and limited charging ability. Tough call, but I'd say it's worth right now, plus it's just an Awesome ride.

·
Registered
402 Posts
running ac all the time will shrink the ev miles and the battery capacity getting lower over the years

·
Registered
402 Posts
comparing to other plug in hybriks the 4xe use more electricity per mile then any of them. using the 4xe with charged battery EVERY day + stop and go (yes it use off the battery with stop and go too, if you drive or not) your 50/50 ev/gas mpg will max 30mpg.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Appreciate all of the responses! Other question -- is anyone truly getting 20 mpg on the e-save mode (gas only)? That is also a factor that I have to consider.

·
Registered
274 Posts
E-Save is not a “gas only” mode. There is no gas only mode on the Wrangler 4XE. That gets miscommunicated a lot. E-Save is intended for when you want to charge or save the battery for later use. It isn’t intended to be any kind of regularly used option. It drives down gas mileage and is the least efficient mode. On a flat test I did early on, it pushed my efficiency down to about 20mpg. On a trip in Colorado where I was climbing hills, it got down to around 15mpg.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Once again, thanks for the thoughtful response. I guess the better question would be, what will the mpg be when the battery says it is 0% in the hybrid mode?

·
Registered
274 Posts
From a cost perspective, you also have the $7500 federal tax break and whatever California provides too. That all depends on your tax situation, of course.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Once again, thanks for the thoughtful response. I guess the better question would be, what will the mpg be when the battery says it is 0% in the hybrid mode?
In some short tests I did early on, I was seeing around 23–24MPG with the battery depleted. Now that I’m past 10,000 miles, I’m planning a test across the course of an entire tank of gas without charging.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would not buy a $50k vehicle if I’m still renting a place without a garage. Save your money to buy a place in San Diego in the next few years. Then buy a pure electric later. House ownership first but that’s just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts